• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For me, the year looked like... (and remember: I'm an Antipodean!)

Ze Good Ones (in the order I remember them!)

- Zodiac (Shire)
    - The Lives of Others (Yared/Moucha)
    - Lust, Caution (Desplat)
    - The Golden Compass (Desplat)
    - Ratatouille (Giacchino)
    - The Bourne Ultimatum (Powell)
    - The Assassination of Jesse James (Cave/Ellis)
    - There Will Be Blood (Greenwood)
    - Angel (Rombi)
    - Eastern Promises (Shore)
    - Battlestar Galactica 3 (Mccreary)
    - Atonement (Marianelli)
    - L'Ennemi Intime (Desplat)
    - Moliere (Talgorn)
    - Island of Lost Souls (Cornish)
    - Teresa: El Cuerpo Criste (Illarramendi)
    - Ze Good German (Newman)
    - Planet Earth (Fenton)
    Not a bad year overall.

Ze Disappointments!
    Some of these were surprisingly bad. Not all of them - some of them just didn't ring my bells as they did for some people.

- The Last Mimzy (Shore)
    - Michael Clayton (Newton-Howard)
    - Mark Isham's In the Valley of Elah and Reservation Road - not for being unsuitable for their films or anything, but just for being indistiguishable musical paths from A to B.
    - Nomad (Siliotto) - not bad, but the hype killed it
    - Silk (Sakamoto) - since this director's last film was scored by John Corigliano, disappointment was in the air. Not Sakamoto's finest hour.
    - Spiderman 3 (Young) - oh the agony! Not that the music was bad, but unfortunately it doesn't escape the black hole the film established.
    - Mr Magorium (Desplat/Zigman) - that this one didn't remain firmly in Alexandre Desplat's hands is a shame. Zigman writes nice stuff, but it just isn't worth listening to that often. It's good, but feels like a little bit of a missed opportunity.
    - Bridge to Terabithia (Zigman) - see above, but take away the themes by Desplat.
    - Across the Universe (Goldenthal) - even though it wouldn't have fit with the the spirit of the film, I wish they'd dumped those Beatles hacks and got Goldenthal to whip up a bizarre underscore instead.
    - The Last Legion (Doyle) - one day you'll all see! Muhahahahah!
    - Elizabeth: The Golden Age (Armstrong/Rahman) - A quote from the ongoing courtcase into who killed this film puts it better than I can: "I submit to the jury that the composer is the last person working on a film who can make a difference. Mr Armstrong and Mr Rahman clearly chose to push Her Royal Highness over the cliff in all her finery!"
    - The Brave One (Marianelli) - not as good. You know what I mean. Besides, he shouldn't be wooing Goldenthal's director.

Ze Guilty Pleasure

- Lair (Debney) - It sure is familiar, but there's too few good action scores this year to quibble over that.
    - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Zimmer) - better than expected! Who would have thought?!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    - The Last Legion (Doyle) - one day you'll all see! Muhahahahah!

Pfff, I knew since the first listen. tongue

- Elizabeth: The Golden Age (Armstrong/Rahman) - A quote from the ongoing courtcase into who killed this film puts it better than I can: "I submit to the jury that the composer is the last person working on a film who can make a difference. Mr Armstrong and Mr Rahman clearly chose to push Her Royal Highness over the cliff in all her finery!"

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    MY FAVORITES FOR 2007 (in no particular order)
    • BEOWULF, music by Alan Silvestri

It's on the wrong list Demetris!!!!
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote

biggrin

I declare this to be my wittiest remark of the New Year. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Update:

BEST

Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem (Tyler) - Definately one of the more purely entertaining (and loud) scores of the last year.
    War (Tyler) - See above.
    Partition (Tyler) - Definately helped to vary his output considering the volume and ballsiness of the two above and it is indeed a very moving and soothing journey as an album.
    The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep (Howard) - Easily JNH's best score of one busy year (excluding the forthcoming releases).
    Journey From The Fall (Wong) - I certainly would not have ordered this if it were not for Demetris' assessment. Thanks D!
    The Bourne Ultimatum (Powell) - A mighty fine (if not very slightly inferior) conclusion to a fantastic musical trilogy.
    Transformers (Jablonsky) - Loud, dumb and completely pretentious in the context of the movie's plot but damn entertaining.
    Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Zimmer) - Same really.
    Gone Baby Gone (Gregson-Williams) - "Chilled-out Spy Game".
    The Ultimate Gift (McKenzie) - My first ever Mark McKenzie album and I'm very impressed.
    Rescue Dawn (Badelt) - Like Partition, it very much feels like a journey on album and, again, is very moving.
    Live Free Or Die Hard (Beltrami) - Great action scoring with good musical continuity from the previous films.
    3:10 To Yuma (Beltrami) - Probably the best out of the two.
    The Tudors (Morris) - Well... I like it.

WORST

Michael Clayton (Howard) - It breaks my heart to have to place a JNH score in this category but I'm sorry, it has to be done.
    The Simpsons Movie (Zimmer) - Just doesn't do anything for me.
    Reservation Road (Isham) - Zzzzz.
    In The Valley Of Elah (Isham) - Nice opening cue but the rest... Zzzzz.
    Hitman (Zanelli) - Get out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

biggrin

I declare this to be my wittiest remark of the New Year. beer

I declare that you are, indeed, insa.....correct! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

- Across the Universe (Goldenthal) - even though it wouldn't have fit with the the spirit of the film, I wish they'd dumped those Beatles hacks and got Goldenthal to whip up a bizarre underscore instead.

Couldn't agree more. The musical choices for this film have been the milestone of personal disappointments this year as i (and am sure i am definitely not alone) have been waiting for a new, pure Goldenthal score for ages..!

Hehehe. But you're quite right, the score is a very weak effort indeed with no personality whatsoever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Tom's Best GoldenScore Release of 2007 at GoldenScores
    http://www.goldenscores.com/?a=articles&id=70
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Couldn't agree more. The musical choices for this film have been the milestone of personal disappointments this year as i (and am sure i am definitely not alone) have been waiting for a new, pure Goldenthal score for ages..!

Sure, we're waiting for a new Goldenthal score... but isn't that a bit unfair towards the movie and its songs? After all, it's a musical of which the story has been made up completely by it's songs and the whole goal of it is to let the classic songs tell the story and thus bring an homage to the Beatles. Surely, ditching the songs for a score would be rather unappropriate, then. Besides, I like the new versions of the songs...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it's not unfair to me. They should have got somebody else besides Goldenthal if they wanted fair play and i am dead-serious about this!
  3. BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Sure, we're waiting for a new Goldenthal score... but isn't that a bit unfair towards the movie and its songs?

Bob, you must learn never to take me too seriously when I say something completely ridiculous like that. wink
    I'm hungry for Goldenthal, yeah, but you can't have a Beatles musical without the Beatles, for sure.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    No, it's not unfair to me. They should have got somebody else besides Goldenthal if they wanted fair play and i am dead-serious about this!

Well the director is his partner in life. They probably wanted to work together. wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Edited my list to include Island of Lost Souls and included POTC 3 as a runner-up score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Best?....

Silk - Sakamoto

Bourne Ultimatum - Powell

Beowulf - Silvestri

The Golden Compass - Desplat

And that's about it slant Last year accounts for the least amount of scores I've bought in over 30 years, it's not that I think it was a particularly bad year or anything, it's just that with the exception of a few composers who I'll buy blindly ( Williams, Barry ) I'm much more picky and more likely to watch a film first before deciding to get a specific score ; that, and the fact I haven't had the money to play with to take chances on the odd score here and there like I used to.

You bought Beowulf?
    How did that happen? sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008 edited
    My personal choices are:-

THE BEST
    (in the order of my preference)

Pirates Of The Carribean: At World's End by Hans Zimmer - an amazing score from the man I admire the most! This is a score that will be remembered as one of Mr. Hans' finest soundtracks ever.
    The Water Horse by James Newton Howard - I was starting to wonder what happened to our JNH after the disappointment of Blood Diamond and Michael Clayton, this one came as a terrific relief AND a GREAT addition to my collection.
    Transformers by Steve Jablonsky - Arrival to Earth, Decepticons, SOCCENT Attack and Scorponok are some of the finest cues of the score.
    Eastern Promises by Howard Shore - Nicola Benedetti on the violin is terrific!
    Beowulf by Alan Silvestri - can give Van Helsing a run for its money!
    Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix (game) by James Hannigan - much better than the movie score. With Hedwig's theme added in, this one is truly a complete HP score!!

THE SUCKED

Michael Clayton by James Newton Howard - no comments, cos I hope JNH was only experimenting tongue
    Hitman by Zanelli - get the awesome video game score by Jesper Kyd and trash this one straight away!

THE AVERAGE

Elizabeth: The Golden Age by Craig Armstrong and A R Rahman - some tracks were pretty nice, but the album was sort of so-so.
    The Simpsons Movie by Hans Zimmer - the score works good on the screen, but on its own it is somewhat dull.
    Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix by Nicolas Hooper - It plays well with the dark theme of the movie, but on the CD it's not very impressive. It had its share of good moments, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    1- Pirates of the Caribbean: At world's End (Score + Suites) (Hans Zimmer)
    2- Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem - Partition (Brian Tyler)
    3- The Bourne Ultimatum (John Powell)
    4- Ratatouille - Medal of Honor: Airborne (Michael Giacchino)
    5- Angel (Philippe Rombi)
    6- Lair (John Debney)
    7-Flyboys (Trevor Rabin)
    8- Rescue Dawn - Premonition (Klaus Badelt)
    9- Las 13 Rosas - The Kovak Box (Roque Baños)
    10- Transformers (Steve Jablonsky)
    11- The Last Legion (Patrick Doyle)
    12- Eastern Promises (Howard Shore)
    13- Alan Silvestri: Soncinemad 2007 (Alan Silvestri)
    14- Breach (Michael Danna)

I have to quote myself just to include this one:

15- Atonement (Dario Marianelli) -> impressive effort featuring one of THE cues of 2007: "Elegy For Dunkirk". And great film by the way.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    1. The Golden Compass (Desplat)
    2. The Bourne Ultimatum (Powell)
    3. Atonement (Marianelli)
    4. 3:10 To Yuma (Beltrami)
    5. L'Ennemie Intime (Desplat)
    6. Planet Earth (George Fenton)
    7. Pirates: At World's End (Zimmer)
    8. Dr Who: Season 3 (Murray Gold)
    9. The Kite Runner (Iglesias)
    10. The Rocket Post (Nigel Clarke & Michael Csányi-Wills)

And no more lists for me! angry
    Kazoo
  5. Good list though!
    I might have to check out DR WHO with the all the talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'll add Youth Without Youth, Battlestar Galactica(Season 3) and La Planète Blanche too.
    Kazoo
  6. And what about "The Story Of The Great King And The Four Gods"?
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Right, I forgot that one here. Too much titles came my way the past weeks. dizzy
    (mind you, I haven't forgtten for IFMCA smile )
    Kazoo
  7. And that is correct biggrin
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote

[edit]

Me neither. Tonight i'll submit 'em!

( shame i wrote nothing instead of tonight but yeah! They have the same letters heheh; i don't know what's going on, i lost focus these days so don't blame me wink Stavi knows what i have heh)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Me neither. Nothing i'll submit 'em!

Euhm, you mean, you'll send nothing? Or ... ? confused
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Me neither. Nothing i'll submit 'em!

Euhm, you mean, you'll send nothing? Or ... ? confused

^^ shame
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    Good list though!
    I might have to check out DR WHO with the all the talk about it.

You should, Michael.

I'll certainly be putting it in my Top List for 2007 - and there's also a few contenders on that CD for "Track of The Year".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. My favourites of last year:

- The Bourne Ultimatum, John Powell

- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, game, James Hannigan (the full version in the game, but the itunes version is still good although without Hedwig's Theme)

- Lair, game, John Debney.

- Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End, Hans Zimmer

- Transformers, Steve Jablonsky
    • CommentAuthorRubyglass
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    01. There Will Be Blood | Jonny Greenwood
    02. Youth Without Youth | Osvaldo Golijov
    03. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford | Warren Ellis & Nick Cave
    04. Lady Chatterley | Béatrice Thiriet
    05. Persepolis | Olivier Bernet
    06. Zodiac | David Shire
    07. Breach | Mychael Danna
    08. Eastern Promises | Howard Shore
    09. Atonement | Dario Marianelli
    10. La Vie en Rose | Christopher Gunning
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rubyglass wrote
    04. Lady Chatterley | Béatrice Thiriet
    05. Persepolis | Olivier Bernet

How are these? Haven't heard 'em yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Welcome Rubyglass!!

Sweet top 10.

I second Demetris, especially about the Lady Chatterley.
    Kazoo