• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Rubyglass wrote
    04. Lady Chatterley | Béatrice Thiriet
    10. La Vie en Rose | Christopher Gunning

Really? Gunning is ok... contributes to one really strong scene, but otherwise doesn't do a lot for the film. But Thiriet... I found that quite a bad score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorRubyglass
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Rubyglass wrote
    04. Lady Chatterley | Béatrice Thiriet
    10. La Vie en Rose | Christopher Gunning

Really? Gunning is ok... contributes to one really strong scene, but otherwise doesn't do a lot for the film. But Thiriet... I found that quite a bad score.

I'm not passionate about either... Aside from my top two (which I love unreservedly), I found it quite a bad year for film scores. Gunning is pure list-filling because my OCD will not allow a top 6 or a top 8, it has to be a top 10. :P

As for Thiriet, there were a few cues I really, really liked, like "Les Fleurs", but overall I wouldn't say it was an excellent score either.

If anyone wants to offer better suggestions based on my appreciation for my top two, fire away. I'm not really into film scores in such a way that I hear a lot of what happens outside movies I've actually seen.
  2. I really have come to like L'ENNEMI INTIME by Desplat a lot. Some very interesting use of dissonant textures there, an unorthodox ensemble, more Herrmannesque in its thematic structure than the classic themes-and-variations sound he usually operates in. Not sure if I can be trusted, as I'm the resident Desplat scholar/groupie here. (I notice you don't list LUST, CAUTION, which I kind of preferred to EASTERN PROMISES and even the excellent ATONEMENT - and such an involving film!)

I should qualify re: Thiriet - maybe 'bad score' is too strong as word, as it 'works' in the film. But it seemed like a lazy kind of 'working'. The compositions themselves felt a bit slight.

Some nice scores also from the year that were in a more romantic vein (I notice you stick to scores that have a more reserved, austere feel, which is understandable): MOLIERE (Talgorn - standard romantic themes-and-variations with a few period colours), AS YOU LIKE IT (Doyle - I find Doyle pretty insufferable lately, but this score was a reminder of the elegance and flair of HENRY V), LIVES OF OTHERS (Yared/Moucha - this one really moved me). If you like the florid epic fantasy sound, then Hisaishi's STORY OF THE GREAT KING AND THE FOUR GODS is also a strong one. George Fenton's PLANET EARTH and EARTH are also very strong works if the latter sound interests you.

I often find the films I like at the end of the year don't match up very well with the scores I like. This year, while it has some very well-composed scores for bad films, has been that rare exception when there have been films with scores that have really won me over, like ZODIAC, BLOOD, LIVES OF OTHERS, LUST and ATONEMENT.
    • CommentAuthorRubyglass
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I really have come to like L'ENNEMI INTIME by Desplat a lot. Some very interesting use of dissonant textures there, an unorthodox ensemble, more Herrmannesque in its thematic structure than the classic themes-and-variations sound he usually operates in. Not sure if I can be trusted, as I'm the resident Desplat scholar/groupie here. (I notice you don't list LUST, CAUTION, which I kind of preferred to EASTERN PROMISES and even the excellent ATONEMENT - and such an involving film!)

I should qualify re: Thiriet - maybe 'bad score' is too strong as word, as it 'works' in the film. But it seemed like a lazy kind of 'working'. The compositions themselves felt a bit slight.

Some nice scores also from the year that were in a more romantic vein (I notice you stick to scores that have a more reserved, austere feel, which is understandable): MOLIERE (Talgorn - standard romantic themes-and-variations with a few period colours), AS YOU LIKE IT (Doyle - I find Doyle pretty insufferable lately, but this score was a reminder of the elegance and flair of HENRY V), LIVES OF OTHERS (Yared/Moucha - this one really moved me). If you like the florid epic fantasy sound, then Hisaishi's STORY OF THE GREAT KING AND THE FOUR GODS is also a strong one. George Fenton's PLANET EARTH and EARTH are also very strong works if the latter sound interests you.

I often find the films I like at the end of the year don't match up very well with the scores I like. This year, while it has some very well-composed scores for bad films, has been that rare exception when there have been films with scores that have really won me over, like ZODIAC, BLOOD, LIVES OF OTHERS, LUST and ATONEMENT.

I'll have to listen to L'ennemi Intime. I haven't been impressed by Desplat so far. I really hated the Lust, Caution score (partially because it didn't live up to the Verdi in the trailers). I just felt like the themes didn't go with the film at all, and that it was too facile to listen to on its own. The only other Desplat scores I have heard are Birth and The Girl With the Pearl Earring, both of which I was not fond of.

And even though I listed Eastern Promises and Atonement, I wasn't overly fond of them either. I found Eastern Promises a bit dull and Atonement largely heavy-handed. I don't really like Doyle or Yared, but I haven't given either of those particular scores a listen yet. Nor Talgorn's score.

I think I am mostly drawn to film scores that have a somewhat "academic" quality. In classical music, I love the music of the 20th century, like Shostakovich, Messiaen, Ravel, and Schoenberg, and I tend to love music that brings that to mind. I'm not so fond of anything that draws on the conventions of standard modern film scores. And I do have a fondness for music of the Romantic era.
  3. Academic film music, eh? I must admit, it's what drew me to ZODIAC, and also BIRTH, in recent times. There's an austerity to those works I really like.

Then perhaps consider looking into Jerry Fielding's THE MECHANIC, recently issued by Intrada. That's one of the more interesting attempts to bring Schoenberg into film scoring. (Strangely you don't like Desplat - he's VERY Ravellian at times, moreso than any other film composer I can think of at the moment, actually.)

It's also not a very recent film score release as such, but consider getting your hands on the Frank Strobel re-recording of Alfred Schnittke's THE COMMISSAR (coupled with a suite from the short, pleasantly tonal STORY OF AN UNKNOWN ACTOR). Schnittke presents an interesting alternative voice in Russian film music to Shostakovich.

Also consider the following Alberto Iglesias works: TE DOY MIS OJOS and THE DANCER UPSTAIRS. Everyone groans around here when I start pressing the latter, but it really is the most exceptional film score I've heard this decade. (Which is why it probably ended up in the temp tracks of two of my films.) I'm somewhat frustrated that it's for KITE RUNNER and CONSTANT GARDENER that Iglesias has much of his western fame. As strong as they are, he's a master at writing a blend of Latino and jazz music for chamber orchestra, as exhibited by his Almodovar films, and the two I've listed above.

Did you like the Danna score for TIDELAND, btw?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I really have come to like L'ENNEMI INTIME by Desplat a lot.

told ya so wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008 edited
    Rubyglass, L'ENNEMI INTIME bears a lot of advanced writing, dense dissonant layers and non-standard arrangements. I always considered Desplat's writing to be of the most advanced in the current wave of younger film composers and L'ENNEMI INTIME - while admittedly difficult listen for most people and not exactly in-your-face direct scoring, is a very well-written score. I'd be curious in what you'll think of it, if you give it the time and space to breath and develop as a listening experience for you.

What were your favorite scores from last year btw?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I prefer L'Ennemie Intime above Lust, Caution. One of my favourites (together with his Golden Compass) of last year. The atmosphere from the theme with the saxophone in L'Ennemi gives m chills every time.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rubyglass, have you listened to ZODIAC and I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (McNeely) from last year?
  4. Since ZODIAC is on her list of best scores of 2007, I imagine there's a good chance she's heard it. wink I also saw her make some comments on I KNOW WHO KILLED ME over at the FSM messageboard, if my memory serves me correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    My Best of 2007... one of the weakest film music years on record, IMHO.

10. I Know Who Killed Me - Joel McNeely

One of the classiest scores you will hear this year from a classless film. An intense and suspenseful score with some beautiful piano solos and gorgeous orchestrations.

9. Zodiac - David Shire

Shire returns to The Conversation mode. A score that is a difficult listen on CD but shines in the film. Written for solo piano, strings and solo trumpets... a demanding listen but a rewarding one.

8. As You Like It - Patrick Doyle

Doyle’s best since Harry Potter 4. Doyle seems to be inspired the most by working with long time collaborator Kenneth Branagh. This score contains beautiful melodies featuring haunting solo violin. The top and tale of the album are the highlights ending off with a gorgeous ‘Romance for Violin and Orchestra.”

7. Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium – Alexandre Desplat & Aaron Zigman

One of the most colourful scores of the year featuring Desplat’s patented orchestrations. This score contains one of the most memorable themes for the year which goes through mainly major and minor variations during its playing time.

6. Eastern Promises – Howard Shore

The highlight cue is “Tatiana” – a wonderful and emotional piece for violin and orchestra which brings back memories of John Williams’ “Schindler’s List.” While the film eventually gets violent the score never heads down that direction.

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – Hans Zimmer

A score influenced by music from all over the world, this is one of Zimmer’s most eclectic scores. The film is brimming with melody and some gigantic action material. The somber dirge “He’s A Pirate” gets a good workout in this score as do melodies and themes from previous scores. The best Pirates score of the three… easily.

4. Ratatouille – Michael Giacchino

This is yet another thematic gold mine with not one but TWO themes written for the main character, Remy. Giacchino incorporates a lot of “Mickey Mousing,” the orchestrations are perfect and the action material is wild and zany. A brilliant album from start to finish!

3. Atonement – Dario Marianelli

The typewriter was a stroke of genius! Used for dramatic effects but I also think Marianelli was having a bit of fun with it as well with the like flick of the typewriter at the end of the opening track. And what’s there to say about the brilliant “Elegy for Dunkirk” that hasn’t been said before. A fabulous effort!

2. Island of Lost Souls – Jane Antonia Cornish

From sweeping themes, to pulse pounding action material this is the action adventure score I was waiting for all year. This the way I like’em… big, bold and purely symphonic! New comer Jane Antonia Cornish is my new discovery of the year and if this score is anything to go by, then this is just the beginning of a long and successful career!

1. Angel – Philippe Rombi

A score that fills my heart with warmth. Lush string theme for Angel, the playful comedic music heard in a few cues, the over the top dramatic scoring… this is another score right up my alley. From start to finish this score always has something to offer displaying numerous emotions. An expertly crafted score with some delicious orchestrations that hark back to a more Golden Age sound… something I embrace in modern day scoring. Angel hit all the right buttons musically and emotionally. The best score of 2007!

And by three favorite video game scores were…

- Guild Wars: Eye of the North – Jeremy Soule
    - Lair – John Debney and Kevin Kaska
    - Medal of Honor: Airborne – Michael Giacchino

Here samples from these scores at http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Erik, i am SO glad to see that you loved ANGELso much! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    4. Ratatouille – Michael Giacchino

This is yet another thematic gold mine with not one but TWO themes written for the main character, Remy. Giacchino incorporates a lot of “Mickey Mousing,” the orchestrations are perfect and the action material is wild and zany. A brilliant album from start to finish!

One of Giacchino's best talents is his ability to do this while still incorporating it all into a full performance of the main theme. ''A Real Gourmet Kitchen'' is the perfect example. punk
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I've heard very little from 2007. Some great masterpieces, where among my favorite; Johan Söderqvist's Efter Brylluppet. Such an impressive score! I've been playing some of piano/atmospheric cues as a ritual everyday... for months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's a very touching score indeed, especially liked the slow string adagio - like pieces; very sentimental stuff.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    You can expect a review of Pensionat Oskar and an interview with the composer soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, soon.

A word that has a whole new meaning to me. biggrin

Like: Summer will be here soon.
    Or even: My 40th birthday, will be there soon.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    At world's End
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    2007 wasn't a great year for new music, but probably rather stronger than those years it immediately followed.

If I compiled a top scores list, then it would look something like this:

The Golden Compass (easily the best score of the year in my opinion - there's so much going on, and in contrast with a lot of scores by prominent composers - especially those with three initials, or who played keyboards on "Video Killed the Radio Star" - Desplat actually goes way beyond what was strictly required, rather than doing the bare minimum required to earn his pay.

Nothing else stands out like that for me, so the other scores that really impressed me in alphabetical order:

Atonement
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Eastern Promises
    Lust, Caution
    Ratatouille
    3:10 to Yuma
    Zodiac

Several others fell into the "enjoyable, but not earth-shattering" category too - I certainly wouldn't have found so many scores to include in my list in 2005 or 2006.

However, hopefully 2008 will be a step up - in fact, I'm almost certain it will - after all, there are two new scores coming from Mr J.T. Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The Golden Compass was my favourite too. A score that will just go and please you every time. Not easy but ultimately so satisfying. Together with L'Ennemie Intime, 3:10 to Yuma and Atonement my favouites of last year.
    Kazoo
  5. I would add ANGEL to Southall's list, and probably also Blanchard's A TALE OF GOD'S WILL: REQUIEM FOR KATRINA, Doyle's AS YOU LIKE IT, Golijov's YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH, Greenwood's THERE WILL BE BLOOD and (the better parts of) BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 3. But Golden Compass, Lust Caution, Zodiac and Ratatouille are the top items for me.

But the best cue of the year was, and remains for me, 'SONG FOR BOB' by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. So simple, and on-screen, so satisfying.

Not to mention Fenton's EARTH, which is probably the best score any of us have heard in a while. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    But the best cue of the year was, and remains for me, 'SONG FOR BOB' by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. So simple, and on-screen, so satisfying.

That's the only score-moment last year that brought a tear to my eye (though the hunting scene in Earth, accompanied by the vocal, came close!). Beautiful, indeed. And not just because of the title wink
  6. BobdH wrote
    Beautiful, indeed. And not just because of the title wink

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    I haven't heard Earth yet. I await the Blu-Ray. Did all you people really go and watch it?

My favourite cue of the year remains "Last Shift" from Lions for Lambs. Mmm, outstanding.

I haven't heard any of the ones Franz would add to my list apart from As You Like It, which falls into my "enjoyable, but not earth-shattering" category. I did hear parts of Angel, which led me to want to hear more, but I haven't bought it yet.
  7. Southall wrote
    I haven't heard Earth yet. I await the Blu-Ray. Did all you people really go and watch it?

Hence the wink . Has anyone seen it yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I think some awards group just voted it best documentary score of 2007, so perhaps one of their spokespeople could chime in here?
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I think some awards group just voted it best documentary score of 2007, so perhaps one of their spokespeople could chime in here?

Did Fenton compose any new material for Earth? Or does it use his material from the Planet Earth series?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008 edited
    mirdle wrote
    Did Fenton compose any new material for Earth? Or does it use his material from the Planet Earth series?

Well, I heard they got an extra budget of a few million dollars to create Earth and it was 'shot simultaneously with the TV-series', which means they've got new material, and ths new music, right? But others, who have seen the series first, and then the movie, said the latter was basically a 90 minute summary of the series... But the film just works so well, so I can't believe it's really just a compilation; I don't know!

However, I do know I'm missing some vital parts of the score from the movie on the soundtrack of Planet Earth, the series, and I even believe the music sounded better within the film... Haven't seen the series, though, and with so many hours of music for the series, you're bound to miss something. But I'd love to get my hands on a promo of the filmscore, one day! (since I'm sure it would never get a release, not with the 2-disc of the series already out there).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent additions from Michael on James' list. I 'don't agree that 2007 wasn't a special year for film music; yeah, it might not have been the greatest for sure but there have been some pretty impressive scores written and released.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Pretty good that my two favourite scores were by the same composer: Ratatouille and MOH:A. biggrin

Even I'm surprised. dizzy