• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013
    NP: SETPIECES (Jerry Goldsmith)

Not necessarily the main themes, but main centerpieces from a selection of JG scores. Brilliant stuff! I had always intended to do a similar playlist for other composers, but again with the procrastination.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: 007 - Goldeneye - Eric Serra

It's an Eric Serra score, with some Bond element mixed in, and John Altman's last minute thematic material. The score blends in so well that it feels completely inert sometime. I do love it when Eric works in some string material, cause it really perks my interest up a bit more. And the score needed more of those moments... Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013 edited
    lp wrote

It's an Eric Serra score, with some Bond element mixed in, and John Altman's last minute thematic material. The score blends in so well that it feels completely inert sometime. I do love it when Eric works in some string material, cause it really perks my interest up a bit more. And the score needed more of those moments... Oh well.

While not a favourite, I've always thought the score is better than its reputation....and I've felt that ever since it was composed! (and -- sacrilege ahead -- I prefer it over John Barry).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: 007 - Live and Let Die - George Martin

A surprisingly good 007 score by this Beatles music composer/producer. Good thematic materials and fun brassy writing rounds out this entertaining romp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

While not a favourite, I've always thought the score is better than its reputation....and I've felt that ever since it was composed! (and -- sacrilege ahead -- I prefer it over John Barry).

I agree with you. There are some good moments in there. But, the missteps were the fact that most of his underscore were so underwritten, mostly due to his style, I think, that the some scenes didn't feel like they were scored at all. And in the scheme of all of the previous Bond scores, it's has to be at the bottom of the list, because I think it's the one score that contributed the least of all. At least it has Thomas Newman's Skyfall to keep it company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Josh B wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Even a big M. Night Shyamalan fan like me agrees that The Happening is shit. His worst movie.

The Happening is a terrible, terrible film. Even Newton Howard's score is one of his weakest for Shyamalan (although that finale cue is a stunner).

Not worse than Last Airbender wink

One of the few times I'll blow my own trumpet, but I made a pretty decent 40 minute album of that score that fares much better than the official album presentation. It's bloody fantastic.

I was referring to the movie, not the score, which i like a lot. Damn Shyamalan with his awful movies and great JNH scores, you are confusing the shit out of us!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    Demetris wrote
    whut?

Blake Neely - Arrow (2012)

Why do people rave about this, again?

I think the score works well in the show. I didn't know it's available to buy?

It is not. This is a promo.

Ahh. From watching the show, the score seems to be heavily rhythmic and textural, even with the main character's thematic material. It's certainly not a score to listen to on a regular basis.

Yes, you're probably right; on album, outside of context, it doesn't say much smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

Spoken like a true Thor rolleyes tongue

I agree that it's better than it's reputation, I actually enjoy the album but it is woefully underperforming as a film score and particularly a Bond score at that.

Summing it up it's an exceptionally bad Bond score, the worst ever in fact, but it isn't a bad album to listen to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    Demetris wrote
    whut?

Blake Neely - Arrow (2012)

Why do people rave about this, again?

I think the score works well in the show. I didn't know it's available to buy?

It is not. This is a promo.

Ahh. From watching the show, the score seems to be heavily rhythmic and textural, even with the main character's thematic material. It's certainly not a score to listen to on a regular basis.

Yes, you're probably right; on album, outside of context, it doesn't say much smile

I do have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that Blake hasn't been given the chance to write something more thematic. He's certainly capable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

A surprisingly good 007 score by this Beatles music composer/producer. Good thematic materials and fun brassy writing rounds out this entertaining romp.

A surprisingly good 007 score? Why surprisingly? George Martin is a very fine and talented composer.

IMO it's one of the very best non-Barry Bond scores, there's a Barryesque Bond flavour without it ever sounding like Barry pastiche.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

A surprisingly good 007 score? Why surprisingly? George Martin is a very fine and talented composer.

IMO it's one of the very best non-Barry Bond scores, there's a Barryesque Bond flavour without it ever sounding like Barry pastiche.

I don't know him as a composer, just as a guy who produced The Beatles. He's certainly didn't do much more scoring outside of the Beattles films and 007-LALLD. Am I missing something else? Not discounting his producing skills, mind you. There's been lots of excellent producers who went on to create fine orchestral scores, just surprised that George did it so well. Nothing to fault him over.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I was referring to the movie, not the score, which i like a lot. Damn Shyamalan with his awful movies and great JNH scores, you are confusing the shit out of us!

I'd say that on a technical level, Airbender and Happening are about equal in badness. The difference is that Airbender gleefully butchers really great source material and as a admirer of the animated series, I find that far more excruciating to watch. Great score, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

I don't know him as a composer, just as a guy who produced The Beatles. He's certainly didn't do much more scoring outside of the Beattles films and 007-LALLD. Am I missing something else? Not discounting his producing skills, mind you. There's been lots of excellent producers who went on to create fine orchestral scores, just surprised that George did it so well. Nothing to fault him over.

No he didn't do much else film score wise. Yellow Submarine and HELP ( with Ken Thorne where the score was a John Barry pastiche ). He also orchestrated Paul McCartney's score for The Family Way.

Martin's abilities have never been in question, his arrangements on Beatles tracks alone are proof enough. As a producer his resume is near unmatchable by anyone, everything from Ralph Vaughan Williams to Peter Sellers to dear old Rolf Harris and on and on and on....

Google his CV, it's very impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

No he didn't do much else film score wise. Yellow Submarine and HELP ( with Ken Thorne where the score was a John Barry pastiche ). He also orchestrated Paul McCartney's score for The Family Way.

Martin's abilities have never been in question, his arrangements on Beatles tracks alone are proof enough. As a producer his resume is near unmatchable by anyone, everything from Ralph Vaughan Williams to Peter Sellers to dear old Rolf Harris and on and on and on....

Google his CV, it's very impressive.

Indeed.

Still, scoring motion picture requires a different approach, but he was able to do it so well.

Looks like I'm gonna do a whole day of Bond today.

WP: Octopussy - John Barry Love it

WP: Goldfinger - John Barry Like it

NP: Moonraker - John Barry

I love the Moonraker theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Interesting you say you love Octopussy, behind The Man With The Golden Gun it's probably my least favourite Bond score by Barry ( though it was the cover I chose for him to sign cool ...simply because it has the least cluttered cover for a signature ). On the other hand I LOVE Goldfinger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Escape From Tomorrow - Abel Korzeniowshi

2013's score of the year. Yes, I know we are only a month into the new year but this is going to be a tough one to beat!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

2013's score of the year. Yes, I know we are only a month into the new year but this is going to be a tough one to beat!

-Erik-

I just listened to the clips....

gorgeous, I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Novecento - Morricone

As good as it gets.
  1. Southall wrote
    Novecento - Morricone

As good as it gets.

I love that film and I have the original version of the "Romanza" theme on some old best of Morricone compilation. I also checked the score on youtube and it seems to rely heavily on that theme. It seems that you have the score in a nutshell in the Romanza cue. So I guess 39 € would be a bit much for that CD.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote
    Novecento - Morricone

As good as it gets.

I love that film and I have the original version of the "Romanza" theme on some old best of Morricone compilation. I also checked the score on youtube and it seems to rely heavily on that theme. It seems that you have the score in a nutshell in the Romanza cue. So I guess 39 € would be a bit much for that CD.

There's a fair amount of other material too. (But the sound quality's pretty awful.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    On the other hand...

Il Cuore Nel Pozzo - Morricone

As good as it gets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    On the other hand...

As good as it gets.

In fact this is perhaps one of my favourite scores of the last decade. Everyone should own it. And by everyone, I mean everyone, not just members of the British Commonwealth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It has all the qualities of a trully exceptional orchestral score.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Hour of the Gun - Jerry Goldsmith

Always nice to hear Jerry in Western mode and his main theme is incredibly catchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote
    Novecento - Morricone

As good as it gets.

I love that film and I have the original version of the "Romanza" theme on some old best of Morricone compilation. I also checked the score on youtube and it seems to rely heavily on that theme. It seems that you have the score in a nutshell in the Romanza cue.

I don't think that's true at all.

There's also the fantastic Verdi e' morto, a rather classical sounding standalone cue.

Then there's the romantic Tema di Ada. I've never fallen completely for it, but I know other morriconians who consider it one of their all-time favourite Morricone pieces.

The album ends with the sweet Olmo e Alfredo, rather reminiscent of the latter Cinema Paradiso.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    On the other hand...

As good as it gets.

In fact this is perhaps one of my favourite scores of the last decade. Everyone should own it. And by everyone, I mean everyone, not just members of the British Commonwealth.

I couldn't agree more. One of my favourite scores from that decade.

Peter smile
  2. Josh B wrote
    Hour of the Gun - Jerry Goldsmith

Always nice to hear Jerry in Western mode and his main theme is incredibly catchy.

looking forward to hear that score again when the re-recording by The City of Prague Philharmonic gets a release smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Isn't it out yet?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. plindboe wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote
    Novecento - Morricone

As good as it gets.

I love that film and I have the original version of the "Romanza" theme on some old best of Morricone compilation. I also checked the score on youtube and it seems to rely heavily on that theme. It seems that you have the score in a nutshell in the Romanza cue.

I don't think that's true at all.

There's also the fantastic Verdi e' morto, a rather classical sounding standalone cue.

Then there's the romantic Tema di Ada. I've never fallen completely for it, but I know other morriconians who consider it one of their all-time favourite Morricone pieces.

The album ends with the sweet Olmo e Alfredo, rather reminiscent of the latter Cinema Paradiso.

Peter smile

Ordered (last copy at my drug dealer's) along with "Moses the Lawgiver". Oh, well, who needs a new car anyway ... wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad to hear it, Volker! biggrin Also, it's much healthier cycling.

A caveat about Moses the lawgiver -> If you've ordered the 2CD release, be prepared for a lot of unlistenable tracks. It's essential that you edit it down to the best material as soon as you get it, otherwise you might come to dislike it. The 2CD album is about 100 minutes long, and needs to be trimmed down to a ~40 minute album. That said, the main theme is somewhere in my top20 of all-time favourite themes.

Peter smile