• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    Now playing the song La terre tremblante from Beltrami's In the electric mist. It sounds like all the performers are drunk, but I still love this song.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Now playing the song La terre tremblante from Beltrami's In the electric mist. It sounds like all the performers are drunk, but I still love this song.

Peter smile

I really like that score. One of his best. (Smart film, too.)
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Erik Woods wrote
    Not even Clock Tower Parade?!?!?!?!?! slant shocked Holy smokes! That piece is on speed! Massively entertaining and brilliant written! David Newman meets Alan Silvestri meets John Williams. Thomas Bergersen needs to get some film work! He's underused and and his talent is completely wasted writing trailer music!

-Erik-

i also think, that bergersen would be a good film composer. i really like his bombastic Two Steps From Hell music, but i like his new direction with the album Two Steps From Heaven a lil bit more. a lot of pieces on this album have film music character and quality. my favourites are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5hN2FZ_Tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF4FmYHvNHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_p1mCVLWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2aDPaXVzg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmDTomFBq7w

and i also love the way he uses vocals and the choir.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

They rarely write them as good as this anymore.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013 edited
    Lars wrote
    i also think, that bergersen would be a good film composer. i really like his bombastic Two Steps From Hell music, but i like his new direction with the album Two Steps From Heaven a lil bit more. a lot of pieces on this album have film music character and quality. my favourites are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5hN2FZ_Tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF4FmYHvNHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_p1mCVLWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2aDPaXVzg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmDTomFBq7w

and i also love the way he uses vocals and the choir.

I'm not much into his more Hollywoody sound, but the ultra-catchy, James Newton Howardy Spirit of Moravia I get a lot of pleasure from.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Steven, Tim, James, what do you think of two steps from hell's genius music?

I didn't really like it in the end when I listened more carefully - but appreciate the enthusiastic efforts to get me to try it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I finally got around to listening to these ( and a few more ) and I have to say this really isn't my thing, I didn't find much to enjoy personally.

Sorry.

*sniff

Surprised to hear that, but thumbs up for giving it a chance.

It's strange though, that I find nearly all other trailer music out there head-achingly loud, predictable and of low quality, but TSFH for some reason hits all the right buttons.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    OR, all the wrong buttons; depends on who you'll ask wink beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013 edited
    I can hear why it appeals.

By the way, I quite liked a couple of tracks that Lars posted.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Demetris wrote

Indeed. smile

Anyway, I'm currently listening to Trevor Jones' Fields of freedom, and am wondering where this master of sweeping themes went. I'm of the firm belief that people with such a gift for melody are morally obliged to compose all the time, only stopping when they need to eat or go to the bathroom

Peter slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

It really really doesn't get much better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    NP: The big country too.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Did you know that John Williams played piano on the original soundtrack recording of THE BIG COUNTRY?

Today's 'Williams trivia'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Demetris wrote

Indeed. smile

Anyway, I'm currently listening to Trevor Jones' Fields of freedom, and am wondering where this master of sweeping themes went. I'm of the firm belief that people with such a gift for melody are morally obliged to compose all the time, only stopping when they need to eat or go to the bathroom

Peter slant

One of the very big losses of Film music; like Cliff Eidelman for instance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote
    I'm of the firm belief that people with such a gift for melody are morally obliged to compose all the time, only stopping when they need to eat or go to the bathroom

But there's a finite amount of good melodies in the world and if they all did that eventually everyone would be James Horner! ...at least until the next civilization reset when everyone has to rediscover the melodies all over again... dizzy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Guardiani del Cielo - E Morricone

Incredible music - lush, romantic, adventurous, exciting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    Thor wrote
    Did you know that John Williams played piano on the original soundtrack recording of THE BIG COUNTRY?

Today's 'Williams trivia'.

Yeap! love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    NP: The big country too.

Peter smile

cool beer
  1. Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I like both score and song too. I must get around to seeing the film one day. (Which edit did you see James -- the US one or the international one?)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I like both score and song too. I must get around to seeing the film one day. (Which edit did you see James -- the US one or the international one?)

It was the longer international one. Certainly worth seeing.
  2. Wasn't it directed by Tommy Lee Jones?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No - Bertrand Tavernier. (Jones directed The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, which also has a superb Beltrami score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Last Valley - John Barry

Barry was on fire with this one. Spectacular.
  3. Oh yeah, that's pretty much close to masterpiece, even if I personally actually prefer The Lion in Winter.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013 edited
    NP: NONE BUT THE BRAVE (John Williams)

One of the few "serious" scores JW did in the 60's. It's quite moody in places, but with some exquisite orchestrations that foreshadow later scores in a Japanese idiom. Love the Rozsa-inspired bits in the main title.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

It was the longer international one. Certainly worth seeing.

We must have watched entirely different films. I thought it was a lumpen bore fest. Atmosphere and music were good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Original or Silva rerecording? Either way, just brilliant, sublime score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Original or Silva rerecording? Either way, just brilliant, sublime score.

Original in this case, but the Silva rerecording is excellent.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    "To Glory" - bear with the electric guitar at the beginning, this cue builds to unimaginable heights and is quite possibly the most "epic" cue I know (and I hate using that word tongue )
    "Clock Tower Parade" - insane orchestral and choral writing in this one, like John Debney on steroids
    "United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Let me know what you think! I love introducing Two Steps From Hell to people... punk

This stuff was just okay, other than "Clock Tower Parade" which I thought was really good. Thanks for sharing!

plindboe wrote
    Ahh, gotcha. I think a good solution might be their unofficial album The Devil Wears Nada. Half of the album is like a score to a Disney animated movie with magic and comedic elements, most of it with a Danny Elfmannish sound but there are also clear influences from John Williams and John Powell. A fourth of the album is rom-com music. There are only about three tracks having any kind of trailer music bombast, and there are a couple with more Hollywoody sounding bombast.

If you have 15 minutes to spare, here are some cues I recommend:

From the magical sounding music: Try this delightful waltz; then give this wacky but very catchy cue a listen; there's a flying theme too; lastly, a piece for a happy ending.

From the romcom stuff: This piece is pure Rachel Portman; this one is rather repetitive, but I enjoy it immensely; lastly, this piece seems fitting for a romcom finale.

I know you try to avoid bombast, but since this album has perhaps my alltime favourite bombastic cue, perhaps you'd find something in this piece to enjoy as well.

Peter smile

Thanks for these, Peter. This album sounds nothing like most TSFH stuff. I REALLY liked it! What is an "unofficial" album? Why isn't this available for purchase? Who would produce an album and then not make it available in any way? There were several tracks there that I found very enjoyable. I wish I could buy the album. I've listened through Illusions, SkyWorld, Archangel, and Invincible and decided that most of their music is not for me. TDWN, on the other hand, is just the kind of thing I like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Epic - Danny Elfman

Oh boy, Elfman's had a spectacular fall. This could have been written by any of the lesser Remote Control lights.