• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013 edited
    Hollywood in Vienna has launched a streaming service on their website, where you can listen to recordings of the past concerts. Some really good stuff there.
    http://hollywoodinvienna.com/de/music/in-concert
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013
    Damn, I thougt this was a post about the Horner tickets being made available!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013
    Nope, but at some point you can listen to the concert here wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    I'd rather go myself. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
    More info about Horner receiving the Max Steiner award
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/01/24 … ner-award/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn, I thought the tickets had been made available for order when I saw this and the Horner thread ressurected.

But thanks for the info, Bregt!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It is still not clear to me if he'll be there though!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tickets are available "soon" according to the event website and it lists conductors as David Newman and James Horner.

I will be going. Any MT members interested in a group booking?

http://hollywoodinvienna.com/en/programme
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This year, our guest star James Horner, conductor David Newman and the ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra set off to discover fascinating new worlds.
    ON TO NEW WORLDS
    After setting sail to the tune of THE TITANIC, we explore the secrets of the universe with APOLLO 13 and STAR TREK and then accompany an AVATAR, showing us the fascination of the moon Pandora.
    With the music to A BEAUTIFUL MIND we explore the depths of the human psyche, escape with Tristan the rural idyll of LEGENDS OF THE FALL and accompany BRAVEHEART on his way to freedom.
    A TRIBUTE TO JAMES HORNER
    The MAX STEINER FILM MUSIC ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 2013 will be awarded to James Horner.
    The son of the Viennese stage designer and later Oscar-winning Hollywood set designer Harry Horner belongs to today's best known and most versatile film composers.
    His awards include two Academy Awards, seven Oscar nominations, two Golden Globe Awards (eight Golden Globe nominations) and three Grammy Awards (eight nominations).
    The RSO Vienna presents highlights of Horner's compositions for the movies and also the master himself will take over the conductor's baton.
    The evening's presenter will be, once again,
    movie actor Gedeon Burkhard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Tickets are available "soon" according to the event website and it lists conductors as David Newman and James Horner.

Yes, but not in the most expensive category (125 friggin' EUROS!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013 edited
    Maybe Bregt will treat us all to those tickets if we promise to give him some publicity?

I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly happens at the event. Why fly David Newman over to conduct part of a James Horner concert? Or is the concert not entirely Horner's music? Last year it looks like there were two concerts, with Newman conducting the Schifrin one presumably because Schifrin's too frail to conduct a whole concert these days?
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    I went in 2011, and there the concert was divided into two halfs. First half was all kinds of different music from various composers. Second half was dedicated to the Max Steiner Award recepient (in this case Silvestri). And Silvestri only conducted two pieces himself, the rest was another conductor.
  1. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes, but not in the most expensive category (125 friggin' EUROS!).

I'm definitely up for this and wouldn't mind getting the expensive tickets. It seems a shame to go all the way to Vienna and then settle for poor seats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013
    That's what I thought. Tickets are available from Monday so let's hope we get a few MTers signed up. I don't mind doing a group booking for anyone who wants to sit with me and Mrs S.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I wish this didn't interfere so much with the Elfman concert and that it was in the same city.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I wish this didn't interfere so much with the Elfman concert and that it was in the same city.

I rather see it as an opportunity to do a long film music weekend in two awesome cities. I've never been to Vienna before. You're a fellow travel nut, Bregt...you should be pleased!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm more of a region traveller, not hopping from one part of Europe to the other in one weekend. But it would be very cool yes.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013
    The tickets are apparently made available tomorrow.

So what is it going to be -- a group booking or individual?

Since I booked the Williams/Bowl, perhaps you can book the Horner, James? However, if you're set to order the most expensive tickets at 125 Euro ($163), I'll have to back out. I've never paid that much for a ticket in my entire life, and would not do it for Horner (maybe Elfman and Williams).

Let me know tonight, if you can, so that I'm set tomorrow.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There doesn't seem to have been much interest - just me, you and John it looks like. I'm happy to buy the tickets and would rather go for the more expensive ones but let's see what things look like when they're all announced tomorrow - maybe that top-price one includes something other than just the seat.
  2. I thought about it, James, but it's too expensive for me. The flight from Cologne to Vienna, a two nights stay (would have taken the oppotunity to really see Vienna), the tickets, the extras ...

I am going to buy a new car this summer, also going on vacation to the North Sea in fall.

Maybe next year.

Volker

PS: I think about attending a concert in Cologne next month: Disney's Fantasia with live music.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But Cologne to Vienna....that's a rather short trip, isn't it? (at least compared to what I have to do).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. 742 km against 1351 km

Which doesn't make it any cheaper for me. But more expensive for you, old viking! biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    Ticket sale is online, I chose the 85 euro category and am seated in the left Estrade (red 1/9). punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm a bit nervous, since I haven't heard back from James, and the tickets have been out for some hours already. I'll wait another 30 minutes, then I'll have to order, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alright, we're set! Thanks again, James!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013 edited
    Bregt, could you edit the headline to include the date (October 4th, 2013) and "James Horner"?

I have now booked airplane. I'll be in Vienna on Wednesday, October 2nd. I'll probably have checked in at about 15:00. I haven't booked a hotel yet, so I wanted to ask -- has anyone decided on a place to stay? Francis? James? Personally, I want to stay as close to the city centre as possible (meaning the Stephan's cathedral). The concert hall is outside the main city centre, so I can easily take a bus or tram or sub there.

(PS. James, I still need your paypal account)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    Thor, Have you thought about or tried to get in touch with Marian Schedenig?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor, Have you thought about or tried to get in touch with Marian Schedenig?

I've already been in touch with him (regarding tips on what areas to stay in). He'll be there too, so hopefully we'll meet up. Would be great after all these years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I will be staying in "Hotel Fürstenhof", near the station. Bit out of the center, but there is a subway stop nearby.