• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Open bar is one thing...the question is if you're able to drink enough before they close!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote
    Sure. The only problem is the lack of time (the concert ends pretty late) and the fact that I'm checking out and heading for London the next day....

Don't worry Thor, being Irish I have the ability to find an open bar if one exists! As for your early check in the next day I'm afraid I can be of no help in that department...

It sounds like there's a good solid 12 hours of drinking time there for Thor to use unless his flight is really early.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited
    It's pretty much non-stop drinking from Thursday to Monday -- at least! I had aimed for the big "drinking out" evening to be Saturday in London, because then you have a day afterwards to recuperate.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    It's pretty much non-stop drinking from Thursday to Monday -- at least! I had aimed for the big "drinking out" evening to be Saturday in London, because then you have a day afterwards to recuperate.

oh oh, and that Saturday is ... WITH US face-palm-mt
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    Well, i'm here now, writing on an android. Had a wonderful group interview with joe dante earlier today. Apparently, there is no one else here yet, so i'll head out for a beer alone soon. Hopefully, i will meet some lf you tomorrow. I also have a 10-minute interview scheduled with james horner tomorrow morning at 9.30. Excited.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Wonderful, Thor!!! I would be very, very grateful if you can get a signed CD cover by James Horner for me. I´ll pay the CD + shipping cost. It´s possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's great Thor! Good luck!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Hi guys

We could meet at the Flanagans pub ( Schwarzenbergstraße 1, Vienna; about 4 minutes walk from the Konzerthaus) right after the concert. A nice pub. Had some beers there tonight.

What ya think?

All best wishes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You were here tonight? Why didn't you say anything? I've been all alone, drinking at a pub and watching champions league! Oh well, see you tomorrow.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As for autographs, i do not have any cd's with me, and i can't get any by tomorrow morning. Sorry. I would have if i could. I'm not even sure the interview will actually happen.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Thanks Thor
  2. Thor wrote
    Well, i'm here now, writing on an android. Had a wonderful group interview with joe dante earlier today. Apparently, there is no one else here yet, so i'll head out for a beer alone soon. Hopefully, i will meet some lf you tomorrow. I also have a 10-minute interview scheduled with james horner tomorrow morning at 9.30. Excited.

congrats Thor, envious as hell smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013
    Thor wrote
    You were here tonight? Why didn't you say anything? I've been all alone, drinking at a pub and watching champions league! Oh well, see you tomorrow.

Hi Thor

How was the interview? Had an interview too (scheduled for 10.10 am; actually happening by 11.05am... ;-) Horner was really chatty; was fantastic!).
    Sorry, didn't realise you were there last night too... hope to see you tonight!

All best
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013
    You did, basil? Cool. You were right after me, then. I don't think i saw you, though, but then i don't know how you look in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013
    Thor wrote
    You did, basil? Cool. You were right after me, then. I don't think i saw you, though, but then i don't know how you look in the first place.

Hi Thor

Yes, arrived at le Loft by about 9.50am and sat there together with a colleague till it was my turn talking to Mr Horner at about 11am. Real pitty we missed each other.
    Who's at the concert tonight? Could meet by 5.30pm in front of the main entrance to Konzerthaus. What you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Basil, many of us are having a pre-concert dinner at 4pm. We have one or two available seats. Check the link i linked to above for more details.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorspacekim
    Just sent you a pm, Thor wink
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Thor wrote
    Basil, many of us are having a pre-concert dinner at 4pm. We have one or two available seats. Check the link i linked to above for more details.

Hi Thor

Great, thanks! Would like to join this dinner at Gmoa Keller. Okay?

All best
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ok!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Thor wrote
    Ok!

Fantastic! Thanks! Cya there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2013 edited
    The concert was wonderful. Quite some event. Great orchestra, beautiful hall, exceptional music.

First half was decent - science fiction music, most of which I hadn't heard in concert before (some of which I hadn't heard at all before).

Hollywood in Vienna fanfare (Bruce Broughton)
    Metropolis (Gottfried Huppertz)
    Space Mountain (Steve Bramson)
    Star Trek (Alexander Courage)
    Voyager (Jerry Goldsmith)
    STTMP (Goldsmith)
    ST4 (Rosenman)
    ST6 (Eidelman)
    Star Trek (Giacchino)
    Gattaca (Nyman)
    AI (Williams)
    Independence Day (Arnold)

AI was a particular highlight here. The second half, the Horner half, was a non-stop highlight.

Universal fanfare
    Star Trek 2
    Braveheart
    Willow
    A Beautiful Mind
    Apollo 13
    Aliens
    The Mask of Zorro
    The Rocketeer
    An American Tail
    Legends of the Fall
    Titanic
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Land Before Time

Encore: Gone with the Wind

Avatar was a long suite with synths and choir including a surprising amount of the action finale. A particular delight for me. But the whole thing was great. Hope he does more concerts now he has been shown it can work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2013
    Plenty of alcohol was consumed afterwards (and indeed before). We just confidently walked in to the post-concert cocktail reception with Horner, Newman and co. Got to bed about 4:30 this morning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2013
    I'm very envious James, Really, if I could have gone I would have.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Bloody hell, that sounds like a good concert. Totally jell! Did they play 'concert' version or original cues?

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2013 edited
    The concert was spectacular and the production (lighting/video) was top notch in an already beautiful venue. Great selection of scores all round (lots of nostalgic as well as goose bump moments). I'm not bothered at all with Horner not conducting, David Newman did an excellent job and it truly was Horner's night, the music was excellent to hear in concert. I was never that big a fan of Avatar but that suite was impressive.

Had a great time meeting people from various message boards/countries/... as well as visiting the historic city. And seeing Small Soldiers on the big screen with a great audience and Joe Dante, as well as discovering the parallels between it and Saving Private Ryan (don't ask) was very fun! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Hope he does more concerts now he has been shown it can work.

I can only agree!! Really hope there are going to be more concerts featuring his music to such an extent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2013
    I added some photos of our entirely civilised gathering to Facebook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2013
    Did I miss something here,
    spin
    I do recall having drinks after the concert with Jim, basil, John, Thor and my buddy Jack
    but can't recall it was civilised.
    smile

Btw. SST members had a great time with a meeting with composers Bernhard Eder and Diego Navarro
    on Saturday. Lasted much longer than planned due to the great atmosphere and lively talks (read wines)

Dutchbat
    wow, that was fun, let's do it again (Donkey in Shrek)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013
    Pictures from the event:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 3b03991f26
    I am extremely serious.