• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    .....nought on telly so.................

NP : DA VINCI'S DEMONS - Bear McCreary

Right off the first track, instantly good!

This might well be my favourite score of the year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013 edited
    NP: Thor: The Dark World - Brian Tyler

Power anthem friendly!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Power anthem friendly!

-Erik-

The four chords! THE FOUR CHORDS! crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LAST DAYS ON MARS - Max Richter

---
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Anything more?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it's minimalistic, some parts sounded like a kind of minimal ALIEN, I quite liked some of it but at just over an hour long I couldn't swallow it whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    at just over an hour long I couldn't swallow it whole.

That's what she said. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013 edited
    NP: Gagarin: First In Space - George Kallis

Probably will end up as one of the top 5 or 10 scores of the year for me!
    The best way I can describe it is to imagine a blend between Erdmann's "Russland" nature doc score and some of the propulsive, Zimmer-influenced trailer music of Two Steps From Hell or ES Posthumus. Emphasis on the former.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lincoln - John Williams

No idea why I was fairly lukewarm to this when it came out. It's so beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes, it is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Martijn wrote
    Did you see the fim as well, Alan? It's one of those seminal twenties' films I was really happy to get my hands on.

No, I've only seem clips played during an interview with the composer. Seems like an interesting partnering of image and music that I am not sure would work particularly well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote
    Lincoln - John Williams

No idea why I was fairly lukewarm to this when it came out. It's so beautiful.

Yeah, I always thought your original review of this was a little...weird. Glad to hear you've come around on it. It's a lovely, if not exactly earthshattering, score. smile
  5. But James, it's so boring! wink (Oh wait, maybe I'm thinking of music+film, which is a gold-tinged combo of respectability if e'er there was one.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I thought Daniel Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones, among others, performed stunningly. And of course the score is beautyful.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013
    NP : RIPLEY'S GAME - Ennio Morricone

Some The Untouchables crossed with some of those ghostly bits from Hamlet layered with some pseudo-baroque and a bit of jazziness.

It's excellent!
  7. NP: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Bernard Herrmann

Herrmann at his romantic best!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PROMETHEUS (Marc Streitenfeld)

I adore the film, but it's not quite my cup of tea on album, except for a track or two. I'm trying to gear up for a new Celluloid Tunes episode on music in Ridley Scott's films, and I must say that the highlights in Streitenfeld's material are few and far between.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. yeah

NP: Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter * (2013) - Fabian Römer

a touching quiet score of subtle power. This confirms my observation that some of the finest scores have in recent years been made for TV series or mini series. TV has become somewhat of an refuge for traditional film scoring.

Volker

* Our Mothers, Our Fathers
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE 4 HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE - Andre Previn

This is great and what an opening main title shocked

There's a lot of Shostakovitch influence in this, makes me want to play some Russian masters cool
  9. Hans Zimmer - Rush

Going to watch the movie tonight smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Green Lantern - James Newton Howard

Strange, I rather liked it in the film, but as a standalone listen it's just an incredible array of noisy nothingness.
    Very much in standard RV mode, all sound and no substance.
    Shame.

I have to say, incidentally, I rather liked the film.
    Very true to its source, and absolute eye candy! It all looked great, even if the story was rather by-the-numbers (hey, it's a superhero flick with an origins story...how much deviation from the norm would you expect?).

But I really like the Babylon 5 style of space filming, where the Universe is a really colourful place, with multi-coloured nebulae and lots of stars giving diffferent light hues. Honestly, it's one of the most handsome-looking of all super hero films, and for that I feel rather forgiving towards its shortcomings.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. ^ That score is one of the most surprising and disappointing misfires in recent film score history...not one of the worst, but one of the most unpleasant surprises. Because you'd expect JNH doing a superhero to at least be somewhat interesting. I've never seen the film but I wonder if there's a lot of unreleased music that's better than the directionless mush we got on the album.

That said, "We're Going to Fly Now" is a nice cue, and light-years better than anything else from that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep, totally agree with you Edmund, also on 'We're Going To Fly', which was the one cue that mildly grabbed my interest.
  11. Martijn wrote
    NP: Green Lantern - James Newton Howard

Strange, I rather liked it in the film, but as a standalone listen it's just an incredible array of noisy nothingness.
    Very much in standard RV mode, all sound and no substance.
    Shame.

I have to say, incidentally, I rather liked the film.
    Very true to its source, and absolute eye candy! It all looked great, even if the story was rather by-the-numbers (hey, it's a superhero flick with an origins story...how much deviation from the norm would you expect?).

But I really like the Babylon 5 style of space filming, where the Universe is a really colourful place, with multi-coloured nebulae and lots of stars giving diffferent light hues. Honestly, it's one of the most handsome-looking of all super hero films, and for that I feel rather forgiving towards its shortcomings.

I liked the film too, average at best but entertaining. And don't forget, a reason you might like the score more in the film is the fact the opening fly scene with the father is frustratingly absent on disc crazy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Perhaps it was because I'd been told how "shit" the film was that I had such low expectations* but I also really enjoyed GREEN LANTERN, this is going to feel like a mutual critique club but I also agree with you guys regarding the score in and out of the film.

*Doesn't always work in reverse, I was told by friends how shit Man of Steel was and my low expectations were confirmed.
  12. I join the club, too. The Green Lantern one, not the MoSt one.
  13. Timmer wrote
    NP : RIPLEY'S GAME - Ennio Morricone

Some The Untouchables crossed with some of those ghostly bits from Hamlet layered with some pseudo-baroque and a bit of jazziness.

It's excellent!

That's what I'm talking about. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  14. Erik Woods wrote

Power anthem friendly!

-Erik-

I think that my ears are bleeding after this! Probably my least favourite of Tyler's scores this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Power anthem friendly!

-Erik-

I think that my ears are bleeding after this! Probably my least favourite of Tyler's scores this year.

Is it just me or the album mix is very bass-centric and low on mids and highs.