• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Delerue? Really? All I hear are long sustained chords, which I assume are supposed to be melodies?! But maybe everything is supposed to be played in super slow mo. tongue

Are we listening to the same score? It's full of nothing but melody! The themes have been in my head since my first listen.

I couldn't hum one back to you! Not one. A forgettable score, IMO. I heard the film is pants, too.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

Still my favourite of 2013 so far. Wonderful.

I agree with you there. This score along with two others are pretty much tied for top score of 2013.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Delerue? Really? All I hear are long sustained chords, which I assume are supposed to be melodies?! But maybe everything is supposed to be played in super slow mo. tongue

Are we listening to the same score? It's full of nothing but melody! The themes have been in my head since my first listen.

I couldn't hum one back to you! Not one. A forgettable score, IMO. I heard the film is pants, too.

-Erik-

It's been on the shelf since 2011 so the omens aren't exactly good!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I listened to this earlier and can hear why James equates this with Delerue's scoring. It's gorgeous, I like it a lot, it did far more for me than Copperhead which I couldn't hear the appeal of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've been listening to WINNIE MANDELA. I'm definitely in James' camp. Absolutely lovely score!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

An outing for the Danny Elfman/Steve Bartek version of this excellent score. This re-recording (IMO) nails Herrmann's original pretty well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I also really like WINNIE MANDELA. It's one of my favorites of the year! Very melodic and downright gorgeous several times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2013 edited
    I'd rather stick a fork in my eye! tongue

In all seriousness, I can get a solid 10-12 minute suite out of this. But I will give it another shot since my first listen was in the car.

EDIT - BTW, I'm getting a Howard Shore vibe out of the piano work. In a strange way the piano pieces abd chord progressions remind me of BIG. dizzy

EDIT 2 - I'm liking the first 5 score tracks. Much more than I remembered. Maybe the lesson here is to not have my first listen be in the car while on the way to work after working a 14 hour day the day before. wink

EDIT 3 - Ah, there's the track that ruined my listening experience last time. The generic string ostinato, basic chord progression cue "On the Run." <-- Reminds me of an interview I read about a young composer (can't remember the name) who once said that he begins "writing" music by coming up with a string ostinato to write around. suicide

And now it's utter depression the rest of the way.

-Erik-
  3. NP: Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

Listening to the entire score is a mammoth task! I've never been a big fan of what Goldenthal does for Nygma (perhaps he was influenced a lot by Carrey's performance with the way the composer went?) but the rest is classic Goldenthal.

This "voice" of his is sorely missed.

With a lot of this score being similar to Batman and Robin, passages of Batman Forever are spoilt slightly by hearing the distortions that are present in corresponding passages of the boot of Batman and Robin.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree, Alan. The Nygma stuff is a major turn off. But the rest is a gothic masterpiece.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA DAGA DE RASPUTIN (Roque Banos)

It's a bit dark and sombre without that much interesting in terms of texture, but it has some pretty cool tracks. I think this will grow on me.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Southall wrote
    Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

Still my favourite of 2013 so far. Wonderful.

I have a lot of time for that one too.
    (Although the 'memory' chorus might sound a little like Rosenman's 'robocop' choir in years to come.)

NP: Ghost Writer (Desplat)

Love hearing woodwinds at the heart of a score again. :BernardComeBack:
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Hmm, there are quite a few recent woodwind-heavy scores, aren't there? Just not in blockbusters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013 edited
    NP: Häxan - Barði Jóhannsson

Häxan (The Witches) is a 1922 Swedish/Danish horror film. It's had 3-4 scores composed for it over the years but in 2006 Barði Jóhannsson released a symphonic composition for the film. I thoroughly recommend it.

Played by the Bulgarian Chamber Orchestra it's quite a low-key piece structured as "movements". The music itself isn't "horror music" (the film isn't horrific in the sense of graphic) but takes some musical ideas and develops them over the course of the movements. Here's a link to the first movement:

http://youtu.be/n-zZjNJj8GQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013
    Did you see the fim as well, Alan? It's one of those seminal twenties' films I was really happy to get my hands on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INTRUSIONS - Gregoire Hetzel

I really like this, a dark , moody score in the vein of Georges Delerue with a touch of Herrmann.

If anyone is interested in listening, I just found this on Spotify, I'd never heard of the composer so thought I'd give it a try.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UN CONTE DE NOEL - Gregoire Hetzel

Really enjoying this guys style. Not an MV-ism or RC-ism to be heard anywhere! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE GRAND PARDON (Serge Franklin)

Temperamental Hispanic music with some sweeping melodies to go!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NOUVELLE VAGUE - CHANSONS ET MUSIQUES DE FILMS (various)

Wow, what a great 3CD set that covers most of the great films and scores of the French New Wave. I'm on CD 1 now, and it's brilliant. Jazzy, melodic stuff -- far from the disjointed nature of the films themselves (for the most part). Delerue, Legrand, Herrmann, Duhamel, Jansen, Jarre, Fusco, Gainsbourg etc. are all represented here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: NOUVELLE VAGUE - CHANSONS ET MUSIQUES DE FILMS (various)

Wow, what a great 3CD set that covers most of the great films and scores of the French New Wave. I'm on CD 1 now, and it's brilliant. Jazzy, melodic stuff -- far from the disjointed nature of the films themselves (for the most part). Delerue, Legrand, Herrmann, Duhamel, Jansen, Jarre, Fusco, Gainsbourg etc. are all represented here.

A good reminder Thor. I meant to get this a couple years or so ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Corri Uomo Corri - Bruno Nicolai

Fantastic. One of my all time favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Corri Uomo Corri - Bruno Nicolai

Fantastic. One of my all time favourites.

Well, if you insist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RESCUE DAWN - Klaus Badelt

I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I insist on nothing.

Stop insisting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    NP : RESCUE DAWN - Klaus Badelt

I like it.

How would you describe it? I've never heard it. (I think I saw the film when it was new but don't remember the music.)
  6. From what I remember and I haven't heard it for ages, it's Badelt doing The Thin Red Line a bit, isn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It has MV-ish moments but I really liked it, very thematic. It's available on Spotify if you want to give it a listen?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    From what I remember and I haven't heard it for ages, it's Badelt doing The Thin Red Line a bit, isn't it?

Not too blatantly like some scores we could name but yes, it does have a TRL feel