• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Assault On Precinct 13 - John Carpenter

Two or three simple themes played over and over again. But, somehow, this is a cracking score. BSX did a great job re-recording this score so it sounds excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013 edited
    Carpenter's finest, I think. And yeah, it's one of BSX' best efforts!

NP: For Those I Loved (En Nom De Tous Les Miens) - Maurice Jarre

It's been quite a while since I played this, having it on vinyl and cassette previously.
    With MusicBoxRecords' CD release I had a chance to revisit this score. I'd forgotten how strong it really is!
    The vibe is closer to Paris Brûle-t-il? -my favourite Jarre score, by the way- then to most of his other works, aided by the strong presence of the accordeon throughout the score. It's a raw, lonely and melancholy sound and Jarre really squeezes the most out of it.

Dealing (for the greater part) with the progroms in Warsaw, the score isn't a happy one, but it is beautiful: unashamedly lyrical to the level of sentimentality (what do you expect? Apparently it's about a man losing his loved ones time and time again) it's carried by with a strong, dark string-driven melody line. Jarre pushes all the right buttons in this one : every chord progression, every melodic resolution hits the exact right spot and emotional response.

This score may just have shot to the top to be on par in my personal Jarre preferences with the aforementioned Paris Brûle-t-il? (which, incidentally, is just crying out for a proper rerelease or -oh grail of grails- rerecording).

The CD consists of two 'programs': track 1-16 is the original film score, and it is (to my mind) vastly superior to the more glib and slick second half which apparently is the music to the series of the same name (I had no idea there was a series?). The second half is fine in the sense that it revisits and reexamines all the themes from the first half, but the sound is so much cleaner, so much less raw that a lot of the intensity of the score is lost. It's well produced, to be sure, but rather flat emotionally.
    Still, there's some wonderful material there.

This is a great CD release and heartily recommended, even if Jarre isn't generally your cup of tea.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013
    NP: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Brian Tyler

It's really quite enjoyable! As someone stated before: it's Brian Tyler action mode (which i really like) with a seafaring jaunt to it, while still keeping with a definite Jesper Kyd vibe.

The album, as was stated before as well, definitely is too long, especially as many of the tracks are a bit 'the samey'. But there are no real 'throw-away' tracks, so whittling this down to a more manageable 40 minutes score or so isn't the easiest thing.
    But 1 hour 40 minutes IS way too long: even if none of the tracks offend, the score per se does outstay its welcome in this length.

The main theme is great, and so is the track High Seas, which -unsurprisingly- made it immediately onto my High Seas playlist. :pirate:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I wish the score had a bigger orchestral palette, to be honest. The jigs are quite great however and I believe it's one of the best themes the man has ever written, very hummable and memorable. I think he's been getting better in melodies for quite a while.

The album is WAY too long, but the great thing is that whatever there is is some of the most melodic material he's written. I am, however, quite a big fan of when he combines the RCP on steroids approach with some more avant-garde techniques, which is why I love Eagle Eye so much.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The White Dawn - Henry Mancini

Ugh! I should have read the summary before purchasing: "in mono", "contains considerable hiss".
    But to be honest, I still would have ended up purchasing this score anyway. It's a beautiful work by Mancini in his most lyrical mode. A truly outstanding theme and several (oh, how do I miss that in modern scoring) supporting melodies make for one of the finest things Mancini ever created when not in jazz mode.

At his best Mancini is able to tell a story through music, and that's exactly what he does here. There are plenty of odd cues (with wind machines and waterphone (?)) that their odd instrumentation notwithstanding really help the musical story along, although it's the beautiful soft "Inuit" woodwind melodies and strong orchestral themes that hit home the most.

I even would rate this above his outstanding The Molly Maguires.

The sound quality, I cannot deny it, detracts from the experience.
    It would be very good indeed to have a rerecording of this score.
  3. Back to Tyler for a while: The Spanish Empire starts with a very interesting 70s vibe to it (!) .
  4. And back to Henry Mancini's The White Dawn... wink

I picked up this along with the new release of Goldenthal's Pet Sematary from SAE (I'm always reluctant just to pick up a single item from them). I remember The White Dawn being talked about very positively but had forgotten that it was in mono (which isn't a problem). I look forward to hearing it next week when it arrives.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Re: THE WHITE DAWN

Martijn wrote

Ugh! I should have read the summary before purchasing: "in mono", "contains considerable hiss".
    But to be honest, I still would have ended up purchasing this score anyway. It's a beautiful work by Mancini in his most lyrical mode. A truly outstanding theme and several (oh, how do I miss that in modern scoring) supporting melodies make for one of the finest things Mancini ever created when not in jazz mode.

At his best Mancini is able to tell a story through music, and that's exactly what he does here. There are plenty of odd cues (with wind machines and waterphone (?)) that their odd instrumentation notwithstanding really help the musical story along, although it's the beautiful soft "Inuit" woodwind melodies and strong orchestral themes that hit home the most.

Mine arrived last week, love it!

Martijn wrote

The sound quality, I cannot deny it, detracts from the experience.

FACT!

Martijn wrote

It would be very good indeed to have a rerecording of this score.

Considering how long I've waited for a release of The White Dawn I was very disappointed after my first listen and that's purely down to the sound quality, I'd jump at a rerecording of this score.

It sounds so churlish to complain when we truly live in a golden age of film score releases.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A Good Day To Die Hard Marco Beltrami

A ridiculous, over-the-top, noisy, modern action score... and I love it!
  5. yeah

Still probably my favorite score of the year, that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's one of my favourites from this year. 'Ridiculous' is meant as a compliment of course, it takes a great deal of skill to write a score like this. And I love the references to the past scores!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote

But there are no real 'throw-away' tracks, so whittling this down to a more manageable 40 minutes score or so isn't the easiest thing.

You can never accuse Brian Tyler of being lazy. His music, no matter how enjoyable it is listening to on CD, always has a high quality to it. Clearly a lot of thought and time has gone into making it.
  6. Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote

But there are no real 'throw-away' tracks, so whittling this down to a more manageable 40 minutes score or so isn't the easiest thing.

You can never accuse Brian Tyler of being lazy. His music, no matter how enjoyable it is listening to on CD, always has a high quality to it. Clearly a lot of thought and time has gone into making it.

While the man clearly has a fantastic work ethic and the production values on his music are rarely anything less than very high, I'm not entirely sure that's always the case. I often find that with e.g. some of his less outlandish video game scores, it feels like he doesn't put in quite as much as he would. Need for Speed: The Run was very generic to these ears, for example. Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel from earlier this year too. Hell, even Modern Warfare 3 felt like leftovers from a ton of his feature scores (though that one does have a certain energy that the other two lack).

Lazy? No. Predictable? Sadly, a lot of the time. And his more unpredictable stuff is often too challenging or experimental to function for me either (say, Far Cry 3 or Bug or Brake or The Killing Room). As Pawel said, I think I'm happiest with Tyler when he takes the basic MV/RCP thematic foundation and then adds in his own more furious and edgy orchestral touches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013
    I'd like to add that having just played through Far Cry 3, Tyler's score fit brilliantly and added enough emotion to the experience that it turned a really dumb generic plot into almost a tear-jerker.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    ROMEO & JULIET | abel korzeniowski

Wow. Most of it is absolutely beautiful music but perhaps the album is a little too long. Great themes and orchestration, very reminiscent of W.E. but that's not a bad thing. It's only a few times there's a real connection to that score.
    Kazoo
  7. Jóhann Jóhannsson - Prisoners

Writing my review of this wonderful score now. I think no film music moved me as much as this downright ascetic score written for a movie that is so deliberate and yet so tense with much of the tension being relegated to the impeccable performances by the actors, in particular Jake Gyllenhaal and an especially brilliant Hugh Jackman. I am so happy that came upon this score and film, it's plain mesmerizing.

Very deliberate and slowly building its atmosphere, it's a very acquired taste, but that's the exact film music I am looking for recently. The track Through Falling Snow is a definite highlight, but a great summary would be the eponymous final track. The rest of the score, while I love it, I would recommend only after seeing the film. It's a difficult work, more to appreciate than just listen to on an everyday basis, but that doesn't diminish its quality at all.
  8. Don Davis - Behind Enemy Lines

It's only a promotional release and in a stroke of luck I talked about it with Don Davis himself on this year's festival. It's the first composer promo I personally got, so I am very happy that I got to have this CD (in my mail tomorrow, through two go-betweens, but still, Davis sent it himself).

I do like this score quite a bit, very much informed by James Horner, who, of course, Davis orchestrated for for quite a while. It's a lot of fun while being respectable for its subject matter, I would say - moreso than the film (a PG-13 movie about war atrocities? Owen Wilson as an action star?!) itself. Field of Death is a particularly moving piece, a great combination of a lot of heart with his usual avant-garde techniques. Davis told me that he was particularly fond of this particular scene with the rest of the movie being far from brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013 edited
    Played two scores in the car this morning.

The first was the excruciatingly dull and down right depressing Winnie Mandela by Laurent Eyquem. I read a lot of praise for this one but I can't hear it. It's overly simple and fails to deliver the emotional punch to the gut that I feel Eyquem was attempting to convay throughout the score. There were a few lovely tracks but nothing memorable. I doubt I'll ever play this one again.

I then moved onto a hidden gem... David Arnold and Kevin Kiner's blistering score to Wing Commander. Great main theme, first heard in the grand "Overture." Kiner picks that theme apart throughout the scores playing time. Thrilling action music with enormous orchestrations from Nicholas Dodd dominates the album highlighted by the incredible cue "Kilrathi Into Scylla." You rarely hear scores of this calibre these days! Great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. NP: Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

Simply the best score I know - listen to it once a week
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Markus Wippel wrote
    NP: Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

Simply the best score I know - listen to it once a week

Really!?? I love the score too but I couldn't listen to any score once a week. Besides, I like to stay hungry for greatness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Ok - maybe I cheated a little bit - but twice a month I´d say

Papillon is the score that made me love film music
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Markus Wippel wrote
    Ok - maybe I cheated a little bit - but twice a month I´d say

Papillon is the score that made me love film music

...and what a wonderful introduction for you. cool

A damn fine film too, without a doubt Steve McQueen's best performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It has one of those themes that's always in my head. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It has one of those themes that's always in my head. dizzy

It's an album that if you named a track I could hum it, albeit very awkwardly in the dissonant passages wink
  11. Brilliant main theme and brilliant action music - "Gift from the sea" is just mind-blowing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Winnie Mandela - Laurent Eyquem

I thought everyone would love this. But it looks like it's only me. But love it I do. So moving. Reminds me of Delerue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013 edited
    Delerue? Really? All I hear are long sustained chords, which I assume are supposed to be melodies?! But maybe everything is supposed to be played in super slow mo. tongue

I don't know... for me it was just tedious listen. The opening track showed much promise (a cue I really like) but for the most part the score is just so depressing. I'm sure thats what the composer was going for but as a stand alone listen it just isn't interesting musically. Very basic writing, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll have a listen to it tomorrow. After all this talk, I'm really curious.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Delerue? Really? All I hear are long sustained chords, which I assume are supposed to be melodies?! But maybe everything is supposed to be played in super slow mo. tongue

Are we listening to the same score? It's full of nothing but melody! The themes have been in my head since my first listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

Still my favourite of 2013 so far. Wonderful.