• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Columbus Circle - Brian Tyler

A nice change from his usual adrenaline-fuelled scores. Great string ostinatos: "Puzzle Pieces" is a great 11 minutes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013
    NP: FATHER OF THE BRIDE (Alan Silvestri)

Breezy score for a Friday morning.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JAWS - John Williams

dino <--well, it's more appropriate than it is as a flaming Dinosaur innit! slant

I watched the film the other day, and it never fails to impress. I LOVE that film and its brilliant brilliant score. And I love the fake shark. punk

I've never seen any of the sequels, I don't intend to!

Well done! I saw the sequel at the cinema shame ...but didn't see any Jaws sequels after that punk

Jaws 2 is an awesome score though.

I have no recollection of Jaws 2 except the ending. And I did see Jaws 3D. Would rather not repeat biggrin

Jaws 4 totally escaped me even if it stars Michael Caine of all people.

Don't be surprised. Michael Caine slummed it in many movies, particularly during the 80's. He used to have a personal mantra which went something along the lines of, nice wages, nice trailor, nice location and he'd make the film. In later years he ( thankfully ) became more picky.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JAWS - John Williams

dino <--well, it's more appropriate than it is as a flaming Dinosaur innit! slant

I watched the film the other day, and it never fails to impress. I LOVE that film and its brilliant brilliant score. And I love the fake shark. punk

I've never seen any of the sequels, I don't intend to!

Well done! I saw the sequel at the cinema shame ...but didn't see any Jaws sequels after that punk

Jaws 2 is an awesome score though.

I have no recollection of Jaws 2 except the ending. And I did see Jaws 3D. Would rather not repeat biggrin

Jaws 4 totally escaped me even if it stars Michael Caine of all people.

Don't be surprised. Michael Caine slummed it in many movies, particularly during the 80's. He used to have a personal mantra which went something along the lines of, nice wages, nice trailor, nice location and he'd make the film. In later years he ( thankfully ) became more picky.

Yes, the choice to appear in Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was surely an artistic one. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oops! Okay Edmund, you got me there. Let's say that, on the whole he makes much better choices in his later years.........mostly. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: 3 Days of the Condor - Dave Grusin

Fab main theme. First came across this theme on a Geoff Love & His Orchestra compilation LP when I was a teenager. Score as a whole has a great seventies feel about it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Neal Acree

shocked Bloomin' heck! This game score plays like a beefed-up, adrenalined-out prog-rock concept album!
    The generally very long tracks (7 minutes+) certainly help reinforce that.
    Very nice!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Toy Story of Terror - M Giacchino

Rather unmemorable, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY (Ennio Morricone)

Just on the first track so far, but it seems pretty melodic, which is where I prefer Morricone. Hope there's not too much of his dissonance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ehm...a couple of tracks further in, and seems like it's more of the Morricone suspense music I don't like.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Neal Acree

shocked Bloomin' heck! This game score plays like a beefed-up, adrenalined-out prog-rock concept album!
    The generally very long tracks (7 minutes+) certainly help reinforce that.
    Very nice!

The opening track is a stunner!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Southall wrote
    Toy Story of Terror - M Giacchino

Rather unmemorable, really.

Agree with you there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : V FOR VENDETTA - Dario Marianelli

Excellent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TROY - Gabriel Yared

Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gravity - Steven Price

The Price is right. Superb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EMMANUELLE 4 (Michel Magne)

Lovely, varied music for this softcore flick. Loungey and smooth for the most part.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Southall wrote
    Gravity - Steven Price

Some of the best stuff is the psychological approach to soundscape. There is actually a synthesized sound representing tinnitus!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Gravity - Steven Price

Some of the best stuff is the psychological approach to soundscape. There is actually a synthesized sound representing tinnitus!

Well, I don't need that as I have it already! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: THE VILLAGE (James Newton Howard)

Yeah, I'm positive -- I like this now! Still not sold on the other Shyamalan scores, but this one is up my alley.

LADY IN THE WATER might be worth a revisit. But that one in particular is special. There's a reason it was nominated for the score Oscar despite noone liking the film. Howard touched on something special.

NP: Romeo and Juliet (Abel Korzeniowski)

On balance, I like it. It gets a bit samey, but for the most part Korzeniowski is one of the guys who makes a nice album. (I'm not convinced there's much Philip Glass in this by the way -- this is pretty Romantic.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2013 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    LADY IN THE WATER might be worth a revisit. But that one in particular is special. There's a reason it was nominated for the score Oscar despite noone liking the film. Howard touched on something special.

*is someone*
    *likes the film so much its one of his all time favorites*
    *realizes that no one cares*
    *goes back to what he was doing*
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

*is someone*
    *likes the film so much its one of his all time favorites*
    *realizes that no one cares*
    *goes back to what he was doing*

What? LADY IN THE WATER??? Why did you like it so much? Really, I'm intrigued.
  7. I think Matt was actually talking about The Village, which is better, I think, than people said, but still somehow misguided.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think Matt was actually talking about The Village, which is better, I think, than people said, but still somehow misguided.

Ahhhh! Okay. I'll blame that on my whisky intake tonight. dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Actually, I was talking about Lady in the Water.

I love the message about everyone's strange personality quirks and even their flaws eventually having a higher purpose. I also quite enjoy the over-the-top performances of Giamatti and Howard. And the music manages to make some of the unbelievably lame-looking set pieces seem profoundly meaningful.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Just on the first track so far, but it seems pretty melodic, which is where I prefer Morricone. Hope there's not too much of his dissonance.

Hehe, knowing how dissonant the score is, this gave me a little giggle.

I hope the CD won't just collect dust on your shelf from now on though. The main theme is perhaps my all-time favourite, so it would be a great shame if you never listened to it again, simply because the rest of the album is difficult.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

I hope the CD won't just collect dust on your shelf from now on though. The main theme is perhaps my all-time favourite, so it would be a great shame if you never listened to it again, simply because the rest of the album is difficult.

Peter smile

Unfortunately, I had to let it go. These are all old promos lying about (digitally) that I finally decided to check out. Yes, it had a great theme, but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. That jagged, militaristic, dissonant stuff drove me up the wall.

On the POSITIVE side, I HAVE kept another of the Morricone promos, namely COME UN DELFINO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Actually, I was talking about Lady in the Water.

I love the message about everyone's strange personality quirks and even their flaws eventually having a higher purpose. I also quite enjoy the over-the-top performances of Giamatti and Howard. And the music manages to make some of the unbelievably lame-looking set pieces seem profoundly meaningful.

Scribe, in that case you share the fascination with a colleague of mine, who wrote these two EXTREMELY detailed analyses of the film, trying to rectify some of its low status:

PART 1: http://montages.no/2013/08/lady-in-the- … appraisal/

PART 2: http://montages.no/2013/09/lady-in-the- … ylisation/

They are in English, btw!

Personally, I'm still not sold on the movie, even though it was interesting to read Dag's analyses.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beyond: Two Souls - Lorne Balfe

The best non-Zimmer score to come from Remote Control in a very long time. Sounds like some passion went into this one - not one from the production line.
  8. Southall wrote
    Beyond: Two Souls - Lorne Balfe

The best non-Zimmer score to come from Remote Control in a very long time. Sounds like some passion went into this one - not one from the production line.

Yeah, since Mortal Instruments...a really long time. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

Unfortunately, I had to let it go. These are all old promos lying about (digitally) that I finally decided to check out. Yes, it had a great theme, but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. That jagged, militaristic, dissonant stuff drove me up the wall.

On the POSITIVE side, I HAVE kept another of the Morricone promos, namely COME UN DELFINO.

Shame. To my ears it's kinda like deciding not to listen to Beethoven's Ode to joy, because you don't like the other movements. I think we have very different ways of listening to music.

Glad you kept one Ennio though. thumbsup

Peter smile