• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2013
    biggrin
  1. NP: Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Javier Navarrete

I know I'm a tiny little bit late here, but: WOW, this is beautiful!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2013
    NP : STAR CRASH - John Barry

This film wears one hell of a big pair of pants! Having said that it's actually so bad, so cheesy, that I find it worth a watch and, of course, it has the stunningly lustful Caroline Monro lick It's difficult to imagine how John Barry even got out of bed to score this, JB on autopilot for sure, still, it's a damned fine and very enjoyable Bond-like score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote

This film wears one hell of a big pair of pants! Having said that it's actually so bad, so cheesy, that I find it worth a watch and, of course, it has the stunningly lustful Caroline Monro lick It's difficult to imagine how John Barry even got out of bed to score this, JB on autopilot for sure, still, it's a damned fine and very enjoyable Bond-like score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-SSpuwjzk

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-SSpuwjzk

wink

That's your entertainment sorted for tonight then Captain. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I got that film on DVD all right. But no, not tonight. smile

NP: Zathura (2005) - John Debney

A wonderful TV space adventure score. A Williams pastiche for sure, but a very good one.

As I use to scroll down my media library I found that my scores Z-upward scores are severey under-played. That has to change.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I got that film on DVD all right. But no, not tonight. smile

A wonderful TV space adventure score. A Williams pastiche for sure, but a very good one.

As I use to scroll down my media library I found that my scores Z-upward scores are severey under-played. That has to change.

Volker

I actually prefer ZATHURA over PASSION OF THE JEEBUS ( which I could never quite understand the overwhelming praise for ), Zathura is a fine score and the film is fun too.

Captain, do you have "Louis Coates" other big film, HERCULES starring Lou ( The Incredible Hulk ) Ferrigno? If not I highly recommend it, it's an absolute hoot! It also has a very fine score by Pino Donaggio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I got that film on DVD all right. But no, not tonight. smile

*film wink
  4. Timmer wrote

Captain, do you have "Louis Coates" other big film, HERCULES starring Lou ( The Incredible Hulk ) Ferrigno? If not I highly recommend it, it's an absolute hoot! It also has a very fine score by Pino Donaggio

Nope, but I certainly will look into this. Thanks!

V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Phillips - Henri Jacqueman

Not exactly easy listening and there's a lot of the temp-track in it. But reasonable all the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Volker, you need to check your quotation for your last post. It has sent the board haywire!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's the trailer Captain...

punk HERCULES punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEH
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Ahhhh. That's better! Sorry guys! shame

V.
  7. Southall wrote
    Captain Phillips - Henri Jacqueman

Not exactly easy listening and there's a lot of the temp-track in it. But reasonable all the same.

Surprised you'd say that. For me, this is the worst sort of RC score. Even Ender's Game for all its considerable faults had more redeeming value than this, about which pretty much the nicest thing I have to say is "nice drumming".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, the drumming is very nice. It appeals to the Black Hawk Down fan in me (a kind of light version of that mixed with United 93, and of course a reprise of Inception's "Time" for the finale).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Krull - Horner, J

Well, what else would any sane person be listening to on a Monday night?
  8. I just got La La Land's new production of BLACK BEAUTY by Danny Elfman out of the mailbox. I'm so excited to have this score, finally! Just started listening to it.

Before that I finished my first listen to Lorne Balfe's GIRL RISING, which I quite liked. It was not very RC at all, except for a few of the tracks, but even then it's much better than anything else I've heard from any Zimmer underling this year. I especially liked the India tracks, Rachel Portman's contributions (which were quieter, but lovely), and the rousing final cue, "Afghanistan - An Inexhaustible Voice."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013
    NP : THE WILD GEESE - Roy Budd

Late 70's 'boys own' action adventure scored in a very Ron Goodwin-ish style. Ruddy great it is too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013
    Great score! Love that main theme! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013 edited
    La Mula - Oscar Navarro

Great great GREAT. (Perhaps one of the film score of the year so far.)

(post edited to become a little more moderate on reflection)
  9. Southall wrote
    La Mula - Oscar Navarro

Great great GREAT. Film score of the year so far.

Really? Did you hear the promo 6 months back?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013
  10. Southall wrote
    Nope!

Luckily we got the final version then!

I'll be interested to read your review on what makes it such a strong score for 2013. It certainly created a wide ranging response when I listened to it: from emotionally charged to just plain annoying (the latter, I am assuming for whenever the mule appears.)

"A soldier protects a mule during the Spanish Civil War", says IMDB. Is the film a cut-price War Horse?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  11. Well, during war you always got to save your ass...

moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013 edited
    NP: Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky

Even as a fan of the composer I have to say this is pretty terrible given the broad palette of emotions this story should inspire. Horner would have done a 1000% better job. This crap has less personality than Battleship and Transformers did, and those are terribly reviewed kids movies about toys, for crying out loud.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Funny how a bit of chat can influence...

NP : STAR WARS EPISODE 1 : THE FORGOTTEN MENACE - John Williams

The good thing about this score is that once played you've instantly forgotten it so you can play it again and again, it's like getting a new John Williams score over and over that you can play all day long without ever getting bored.

Result! cool
  12. Scribe wrote
    NP: Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky

Even as a fan of the composer I have to say this is pretty terrible given the broad palette of emotions this story should inspire. Horner would have done a 1000% better job. This crap has less personality than Battleship and Transformers did, and those are terribly reviewed kids movies about toys, for crying out loud.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or on another messageboard, but there's about 20 minutes of this score that I will revisit when it pops up on my iTunes playlist. Funnily enough, they mostly contain a similar string-based passage that's obviously something that I have latched on to. My Ender's Game playlist would be:

Ender's War
    Battle School
    The Battle Room
    Salamander Battle
    Dragon Army
    Commander

And that's it!