• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I have a feeling that seeing Titus also always helps with listening to 300.

There was a hilarious moment last year on the festival when Elliot Goldenthal was in Kraków and a friend who collects film score sheet pages with autographs came to Goldenthal to get a signature on Victorious Titus' first page.

Goldenthal looks at the score, looks at Ɓukasz and:

"Are you sure it's not 300?!"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013
    applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I've been playing through some lesser-talked about 2013 scores, some of them pretty recently released.

ROMEO & JULIET - Abel Korzeniowski

This is lovely. Probably not quite as strong as W.E., but perhaps more listens will change my mind. This is one of my favorite scores of the year.

CLOSED CIRCUIT - Joby Talbot

I only played through the first half of this before turning it off. There was really nothing going on that interested me at all. I'll finish it later tonight, probably, but my hopes are not high.

HOW I LIVE NOW - Jon Hopkins.

Pretty dull.

GRAVITY - Steven Price

Probably brilliant in the film, which I'm itching to see, but not one I'll want to listen to often outside of it, with the exception of some of the last tracks, which are really epic. That's something the RC guys need to figure out. If you want your music to epic, you have to hold back until the really key moments. Otherwise the whole thing is just loud.

FILTH - Clint Mansell

Track 3 was alright. The rest was pretty unenjoyable.

Now I'm playing CURSE OF CHUCKY by Joseph Loduca. Or rather, I'm playing a track until I can't stand to listen to it anymore. It's all just "scary" music. Nothing redeeming at all. Horror scores can have some really gorgeous themes. Not this one. It's all just awful. I loathe this score. But I'm compelled to try the whole thing because there might just be something in it that I want to come back to someday. I'm growing increasingly doubtful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013 edited
    NP : MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA - Terrence Blanchard

cool

I love this. At times you can really hear Blanchard's background in Jazz shine through with interesting chord changes. I thought the film was unfairly maligned to an extent, it's really not bad and covers history that is rarely covered, in this case a black combat unit in WW II Italy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013
    NP : THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - John Williams

This is exactly what a Hans Zimmer score sounds like if Hans Zimmer didn't write it.

FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought a Hans Zimmer score that Hans Zimmer didn't write sounds exactly like something Hans Zimmer wrote? (Cue the Inception Horn of Doom.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I thought a Hans Zimmer score that Hans Zimmer didn't write sounds exactly like something Hans Zimmer wrote? (Cue the Inception Horn of Doom.)

Hmmm? You're quite right too. Hans Zimmer, two sides of the same synth pad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I believe it's a provable fact that if you took all the musics written by all the Hans Zimmers that it's still nowhere near as good as The Seduction of Suki and The Ballroom Scene from The Witches of Eastwick.

I'd show you a scientifically calculated graph but I reckon you could do it yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Legend has it John Williams was able to write that piece due to his classical training.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He can read and write? Get the fuck, yo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Williams sucks.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ever been strangled with a black turtleneck?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. NP: Zonekiller - Tyler Newman

A soundtrack to a film that's not yet been completed. Newman talks about it being "electronic", "industrial", etc. All I hear is a score that harkens back to the early scores of John Carpenter - which is a good thing.

Take a listen to the tracks over on Bandcamp:

http://solidgreyskyrecordings.bandcamp. … soundtrack
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tyler Newman? I've never heard his music, and I already have conflicted feelings towards this composer.
  5. That's about the filmcomposeriest name you could possibly come up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I submit Horner N.J. Williams for competition.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. It
    does
    not
    make
    sense
    to
    compare
    Zimmer
    to
    Williams!

Zimmer is a pop musician and a damn good one. He's best scores are where he sticks to his roots rather than trying to be something that he is not.

Compare Zimmer to Vangelis, Kitaro ... whoever. But not to any classical trained composer who acts within classical parameters.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Steven wrote
    Tyler Newman? I've never heard his music, and I already have conflicted feelings towards this composer.

Conflicted feelings - definitely!

Apparently, Tyler Newman led a band called Battery Cage whose output (according to Wikipedia) "has been dance-oriented Industrial rock, with elements of Cold Wave, and Post-punk."

Whatever that means.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    It
    does
    not
    make
    sense
    to
    compare
    Zimmer
    to
    Williams!

The fact that they're on different playing fields doesn't mean one shouldn't be able to point that out from time to time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Apparently, Tyler Newman led a band called Battery Cage whose output (according to Wikipedia) "has been dance-oriented Industrial rock, with elements of Cold Wave, and Post-punk."

Whatever that means.

I think it means he's going to have a long and successful career as a film composer.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Conflicted feelings - definitely!

Whatever that means.

It means "CRAP".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Zonekiller - Tyler Newman

A soundtrack to a film that's not yet been completed. Newman talks about it being "electronic", "industrial", etc. All I hear is a score that harkens back to the early scores of John Carpenter - which is a good thing.

Take a listen to the tracks over on Bandcamp:

http://solidgreyskyrecordings.bandcamp. … soundtrack

You are so good at finding obscure film music, Alan smile That reminded me of Vangelis at first, then it got all drum-kit-y. It's not my favorite kind of thing, but thank you for sharing it!
  10. Tyler Newman? 300fall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Zimmer is a pop musician and a damn good one. He's best scores are where he sticks to his roots rather than trying to be something that he is not.

Compare Zimmer to Vangelis, Kitaro ... whoever. But not to any classical trained composer who acts within classical parameters.

smile Volker

But Zimmer's trying (and at a commercial level succeeding to an unprecedented degree) at operating within the same world, so comparison is inevitable.
  11. This could lead to a nice discussion, really!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2013
    NP : JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann

Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2013
    Gravity - Steven Price

Love this. Just my thing, these days.
  12. NP: Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story - Bill Conti

Some lovely string and choral writing in this one. Though, a bit too much love for Barber's Adagio For Strings or it to be truly original.
  13. Southall wrote
    Gravity - Steven Price

Come on, Thor, quit hiding behind James' user profile. wink
  14. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Gravity - Steven Price

Come on, Thor, quit hiding behind James' user profile. wink

Oops, looks like someone has noticed my elegant plan!

(Damn, forgot to log out and change my user id again.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am