• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I like it. It IS an ambient score, combining a solo trumpet, some small orchestral writing with ambient. The film is about the hospital where JFK was taken after he was assassinated on that fateful day. I think the atmosphere and instrumental choices are quite interesting, but I'll say more about that when I listen to it later today.

Now:

Hans Zimmer - Inception

If there is one Hans Zimmer score I don't listen to enough, it would be this one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    Hmmm? From your description it sound like a JNH score I might like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Rush (2013) - Hans Zimmer

Hey, this is the return of good old rocky Hans that I used to love so much in the 90s!
    No dark droning, no pseudo symphonic frippery, just strait enjoyable rock music.
    I also like the songs in context with the score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Timmer wrote

It's on Spotify already smile I think it's his best score for quite a while.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    Yup! Just looked myself. I'll give it a listen later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    I like it. It IS an ambient score, combining a solo trumpet, some small orchestral writing with ambient. The film is about the hospital where JFK was taken after he was assassinated on that fateful day. I think the atmosphere and instrumental choices are quite interesting, but I'll say more about that when I listen to it later today.

Listening to the first few tracks, I'm finding that it's quite dull. Yes, the solo trumpet of the first cue is interesting...but nothing we've not heard before from others.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. The opening cue with the solo trumpet is nice (and it returns in fleeting hints throughout), and there's an emotional (but still very low-key) strings/choir crescendo in "Get Him on the Plane" that's worth hearing, but the rest is extremely dull. It's no less than I expected though...JNH's provided some weak scores for political drama/thrillers in the past and this falls right in line with The Interpreter, Freedomland, Michael Clayton and the like. Effective, perhaps, but boring as sin on album. Certainly not "his best in some while"...more like his worst since Green Lantern.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: Parkland by James Newton Howard

sleep

I started playing, and halfway down the middle I wasn't interested anymore sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's on Spotify already smile I think it's his best score for quite a while.

seriously? confused
    Must check the score again, and to the end now dizzy
  8. You didn't get to Get Him to the Plane, did you? smile The album would do some trimming, I think 15 minutes would be good.

There is an idea behind the score, it sounds umistakably JNH, even if one cue does remind me of Why So Serious at one moment, so barely any RCP resemblance whatsoever, there is some pure beauty, so yeah. It puts everything he's done recently, even including After Earth?, to shame.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Rush (2013) - Hans Zimmer

Hey, this is the return of good old rocky Hans that I used to love so much in the 90s!
    No dark droning, no pseudo symphonic frippery, just strait enjoyable rock music.
    I also like the songs in context with the score.

Volker

Again.
    I really, really like this!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013 edited
    JP : PARKLAND - James Newton Howard

Tedious! Though it would make good unobtrusive background noise while reading a phone directory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You didn't get to Get Him to the Plane, did you? smile The album would do some trimming, I think 15 minutes would be good.

There is an idea behind the score, it sounds umistakably JNH, even if one cue does remind me of Why So Serious at one moment, so barely any RCP resemblance whatsoever, there is some pure beauty, so yeah. It puts everything he's done recently, even including After Earth?, to shame.

I highly doubt I will think its anywhere close to what is one of my top 3 scores of the year so far.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Which are?
  10. Timmer wrote
    JP : PARKLAND - James Newton Howard

Tedious! Though it would make good unobtrusive background noise while reading a phone directory.

It's not for everyone, but it's the first JNH score in years that actually satisfied me. Of course, something like We Have a Heartbeat is a very, very acquired taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Which are?

After Earth is one of my top 3 scores of the year. Some subdued quasi-patriotic trumpet nonsense is not going to "put it to shame", more like the other way around, in my not-humble-at-all but completely personal opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote

After Earth is one of my top 3 scores of the year. Some subdued quasi-patriotic trumpet nonsense is not going to "put it to shame", more like the other way around, in my not-humble-at-all but completely personal opinion.

Well said biggrin

p.s. I like AFTER EARTH except for the all-pervasive-in-modern-scoring-please-make-them-go-away ostinatos bits.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    You didn't get to Get Him to the Plane, did you? smile The album would do some trimming, I think 15 minutes would be good.

actually I think I did? confused

anyway, gonna listen to it again, in full now. You can only give an impression on something you heard in full.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013 edited
    NP : LIFE OF PI - Mychael Danna

Lovely! love

A very well deserved Oscar winner too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013
    Adore - Christopher Gordon

Delicate, gentle, sensitive, beautiful!
    Welcome back Mr. Gordon.
    Thank you for another winner!
  12. Atham wrote
    Adore - Christopher Gordon

Delicate, gentle, sensitive, beautiful!
    Welcome back Mr. Gordon.
    Thank you for another winner!

A nice enough score, but I found it repetitive almost to the point of obnoxiousness. I actually thought Antony Partos' additional music was marginally more interesting and it helped to break up the monotony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013
    NP: An obscure score called Krull by a new composer named James Horner. Its a good score. I like it.
  13. Never heard of either.
  14. Unfortunately I didn't find Adore to be particularly interesting, two composers or not.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    NP: An obscure score called Krull by a new composer named James Horner. Its a good score. I like it.

biggrin

Thing is, I bought this when it really was a pretty obscure score by a barely known composer named James Horner wink
  15. Krull wasn't a huge thing in the box office, was it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Krull wasn't a huge thing in the box office, was it?

No, I don't think so. It was more popular as a VHS release.
  16. NP: Gravity by Steven Price

Most of this score is an extremely arduous slog through vast tracts of sound design (some pretty interesting sound design, admittedly), but holy crap does it ever lift off in the last three cues, especially the last two. "Shenzou" and "Gravity" between them provide ten of the most gorgeous, expansive and emotional minutes of film music I've heard this year - I must say I wasn't expecting that when I started listening to this score, or indeed after I'd heard an hour of it. I think people who enjoyed Austin Wintory's Journey score last year (I did, but it wasn't the mindblowing experience that some others had) are likely to find the quieter emotional parts of this score to their liking. At least, I got a similar vibe off of parts of Gravity.

A shame more of this score isn't like the last three cues. I understand it probably couldn't have been given the film (which I really, really want to see). But they're worth the wait, those final cues are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    I look forward to hearing that one.

I just finished my first, and probably last, listen to JNH's PARKLAND. It's pretty dull. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about us listening to it away from the film when he wrote it, though, so no big deal.

EDIT: I did like the opening track. It's very nice.
  17. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: Gravity by Steven Price

Most of this score is an extremely arduous slog through vast tracts of sound design (some pretty interesting sound design, admittedly), but holy crap does it ever lift off in the last three cues, especially the last two. "Shenzou" and "Gravity" between them provide ten of the most gorgeous, expansive and emotional minutes of film music I've heard this year - I must say I wasn't expecting that when I started listening to this score, or indeed after I'd heard an hour of it.

A shame more of this score isn't like the last three cues. I understand it probably couldn't have been given the film (which I really, really want to see). But they're worth the wait, those final cues are.

More or less summarises my thoughts on this score too.

Apparently, it works very well in the film.