• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    ....which is why every single generation generally thinks music in 'their' time (i.e up to their mid-twenties) was the best ever and the world went to hell in a hand-basket afterwards.

True! But some of us are right. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So, that means I will start hating new music in a few years when I turn 30?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    ....which is why every single generation generally thinks music in 'their' time (i.e up to their mid-twenties) was the best ever and the world went to hell in a hand-basket afterwards.

I was going to say I'm different and special, but Independence Day and The Perfect Storm are two of my favourite scores... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MATRIX REVOLUTIONS - Don Davis

Fantasmagoric!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis

Fan ..tas ..tic ..a ...mag ...orph ..ic ...ing!

Nah. Wont roll off the tongue as easy as yours Tim. But it's so very enjoyable this second score!
    But yeah, Revolutions is damn fine too!
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : MATRIX REVOLUTIONS - Don Davis

Fantasmagoric!

and

Atham wrote
    NP: MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis

Fan ..tas ..tic ..a ...mag ...orph ..ic ...ing!

Nah. Wont roll off the tongue as easy as yours Tim. But it's so very enjoyable this second score!
    But yeah, Revolutions is damn fine too!

punk beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin punk cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HAREM - Philippe Sarde

Very good atmospheric score with Middle-Eastern flavours of a kind I prefer over the likes of the Zimmeresque stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: Coastal Command - Ralph Vaughan Williams

From the BBC Philharmonic/Rumon Gamba/Chandos series of re-recordings. If I could only listen to one composer for the rest of my life, it would be Vaughan Williams.
  2. There were two concerts on German TV tonight:

Verdi: Messa di Reqiem; Herbert von Karajan; Vienna Philharmonics

and

Iron Maiden live

I opted for the latter. No regrets.

punk Volker
  3. ^ Wrong thread. O f. i. !

tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: Coastal Command - Ralph Vaughan Williams

From the BBC Philharmonic/Rumon Gamba/Chandos series of re-recordings. If I could only listen to one composer for the rest of my life, it would be Vaughan Williams.

You and me both Jim. beer
  4. NP: War Horse (2011) - John Williams

O, goody!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Arthur And The Britons - Paul Lewis

It's not hard to understand why Timmer loves this: there's a strong Barry-esque current running throughout the compositions. It's not bad! and for seventies UK TV scoring this is quite big in scope (the orchestration is way beyond what I'd expect from that time), but whether it's the miking or budget constraints (historically I would assume it's the latter), the orchestra sounds quite small.

What doesn't help my appreciation is that I have no attachment to the television series, never having seen it.
    So as interesting as it is, I remain a little lukewarm towards it.
    As the score is VERY long (80 minutes), it might be a good idea for me to revisit it later and create a shorter playlist.

Barryesque? I would say more Prokofiev/Mahlerian but I kind of hear what you mean.

I don't know if you're interested and you're certainly not obliged to watch this but here's an episode of the series, all of them were about 25 minutes long.

THE DUEL

...and starring a youthful BRIAN BLESSED.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You know, I saw this Brian Blessed fellow in a DR. WHO serial a few weeks ago, and then I immediately thought of you, Timmer! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    You know, I saw this Brian Blessed fellow in a DR. WHO serial a few weeks ago, and then I immediately thought of you, Timmer! smile

I feel honoured to be thought of in such illustrious company biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013
    lol. The opening passage of Star Trek Into Darkness' "Ship To Ship" is practically note-for-note identical to the opening of Remember Me. They were probably composed at about the same time so I'm not saying one is a rip-off of the other, its just humorous. Similar to how Cloud Atlas and Abraham Lincoln: Buffy Edition share a main theme.
  5. NP: There Be Dragons: Secretos de Pasión - Robert Folk

One of THE most enjoyable scores from last year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013 edited
    NP: Tango & Cash - Harold Faltermeyer

I'm really surprised how good some cues of this score are. I'm usually not one for 1980s synthesized scores.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited
    NP: Sounds of Eorzea (Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn) - Masayoshi Soken

This is kind of ridiculously excellent.

It sounds like the very best of Hisaishi, and has fully developed pieces so long they sound more like a symphony than a score. Also, it has many orchestra.

Actually more than Hisaishi, more like all good Japanese composers rolled into one.
  6. NP: The English Patient (1996) - Gabriel Yared

When I ripped this CD earlier I changed the running order, seperating the score from the additional cues. Spontaniously this does not sound like a mandatory Oscar-winner to me. But I'm quite tired today and maybe I should listen t it another time.

:yawn: Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The English Patient (1996) - Gabriel Yared

When I ripped this CD earlier I changed the running order, seperating the score from the additional cues. Spontaniously this does not sound like a mandatory Oscar-winner to me. But I'm quite tired today and maybe I should listen t it another time.

:yawn: Volker

It's a good score but whether it was worthy of the Oscar that year is debatable. Yared has done far better scores IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - Johnny Williams

Exceptional. And frankly, what else is one to listen to on Erik's birthday?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    I'm also now playing Raiders of the Lost Ark in honor of Erik's Birthday.

It would be also appropriate to play Back To The Future soon after too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - Johnny Williams

Exceptional. And frankly, what else is one to listen to on Erik's birthday?

Atham wrote
    I'm also now playing Raiders of the Lost Ark in honor of Erik's Birthday.

It would be also appropriate to play Back To The Future soon after too!

:whip: :1.21 gigawatts:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. :greatscott: :whydidithavetobesnakes: :whenthisbabyhits88mph: :thisisheavy: :throwmetheidol:
  8. I just made full sentences out of it biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. NP: Parkland by James Newton Howard

sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: Parkland by James Newton Howard

sleep

That bad?