• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013
    NP : LINCOLN - John Williams

Just as much of a slog to get through as when I first heard it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote

...in fact, after a mere 15 minutes I've had enough! slant

NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Wow! That's more like it!!! One of the great film scores, though the symphony ( number 7 ) alone is one of the greatest works from this genius of the 20th century I'm still so profoundly grateful that Rumon Gamba recorded the full film score, a towering work of the sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

It's bloody magnificent and is a perfect late-night listen. It's beautifully constructed, elegant, intimate, and unusually restrained for a Williams/Spielberg collaboration. I love it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm with Erik on this one. Granted, I wasn't blown away the first time I heard it or anything, but I can just revel in Williams' Americana elegance forever. Beautiful and restrained score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Restrained....ugh!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Game Of Thrones (season 3) - Ramin Djawadi

Aside from some cues that are too subdued and clearly simple functional underscore, this series of music is just getting better and better! Interesting, thoughtful and dramatic, with some truly outstanding cues like the dark 'A Lannister ALways Pays His Debts', the powerful 'Mhysa'and the beautiful solo guitar rendition of the theme at the end 'For The Realm'

I would say this is my favourite season so far as far as muisc is concerned!

Spot on my 3 favourite pieces of the score! Great minds think alike! wink Listening to it now!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Thor wrote
    I'm with Erik on this one.

So am I.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: JAWS - John Williams

RSNO, Joel McNeely (Varese). I love this re-recording. In fact each incarnation of this score has something special to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    When it comes to John Williams' Holy Trinity of score albums, namely Jaws, Close Encounters and ET, I'm in the minority in preferring the expanded original score versions of each. I can certainly appreciate the more album-inclined presentations, and they do make for technically better albums, but I find I prefer the experience of the full musical narrative, so to speak. Truly great, truly classic scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's bloody magnificent and is a perfect late-night listen. It's beautifully constructed, elegant, intimate, and unusually restrained for a Williams/Spielberg collaboration. I love it!

-Erik-

I think the finale piece is excellent, but the album I seem to remember being the slog that Timmer mentions. I need to revisit it and see if I'll have a Tintin-like turn around in opinion (I hope I do).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Restrained....ugh!

Restrained rocks!

RESTRAINED 4-EVER!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Only when it finally leads to an apotheosis.

For me it's all about emotional impact. The vehicle may be small in scale (Perlman's violin solos in Schindler's List) or absolutely massive (Handel's 'Hallelujah Chorus'), but it IS all about working towards a zenith punctuates the senses and elevates the experience!

A restrained score (and Lincoln is very much that) to me is the emotional equivalent of holding your breath for fifty minutes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: JAWS - John Williams

RSNO, Joel McNeely (Varese). I love this re-recording. In fact each incarnation of this score has something special to it.

It is a very interesting (and very good!) interpretation!
    I enjoy hearing it, even if I think it's too long (contrary to STeven, I am indeed in the majority that prefers the album cut smile ).
  3. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Restrained....ugh!

Restrained rocks!

RESTRAINED 4-EVER!

I can get my hands on a strait jacket. I can make that happen.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And I believe you.
  4. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Restrained....ugh!

Restrained rocks!

RESTRAINED 4-EVER!

sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The calmer, the better.

I want calm and smooth and delicious and soothing.

CALM, CALM, CALM!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    The calmer, the better.

CALM, CALM, CALM!

Especially on Saturday, right? cheesy
  6. Martijn wrote
    Only when it finally leads to an apotheosis.

For me it's all about emotional impact. The vehicle may be small in scale (Perlman's violin solos in Schindler's List) or absolutely massive (Handel's 'Hallelujah Chorus'), but it IS all about working towards a zenith punctuates the senses and elevates the experience!

A restrained score (and Lincoln is very much that) to me is the emotional equivalent of holding your breath for fifty minutes.

With notable exceptions (The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life and some other scores), I generally agree, but I'll say this:

To me the perfect scores, especially recently, are the scores that build from a very small scale, restrained emotions to an unrestrained explosion featuring the same small scale ensemble, or not so small, but still using the same devices. While it can be argued that Tarawa is the centerpiece of the score from the emotional intensity side of things, to me the best part of the Snow Falling on Cedars experience is how the music, which is basically a complete and chronological program with some minor changes at the beginning of the album lets to the beauty called Can I Hold You Now?, which is an emotional explosion that is very soothing as well as intense, just because you feel that it comes from the heart of the soundscape. It's unrestrained, but comes from the same heart and the same convention.

Another score where I would say that's the approach is Beyond Rangoon - again the final suite comes directly from the inner soundscape of the score (ironically composed first though). Christopher Young's rejected An Unfinished Life is such an example, too (I rediscovered this one recently), a lot of European scores work that way (which is also very good because of its sparse scoring).

While In Country to me is also a perfect and poignant example of the same approach, I beg to differ with Erik's praise of James Horner's To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday. It's a beautiful and underrated score, but while the French horn IS present in the Main Title, the final track takes me out of a very intimate (piano and synth-led) experience, because it's like I went from a beautiful close-up to a vista long shot in seconds, which just leaves the internal world that Horner created. It's still a very good and forgotten work, I just disagree with this choice. How it works in the film, I must confess, I don't know how it is in the film, but that cue singularly told me not to watch it.

For fans of the approach I'd also recommend The Magic of Marciano, a very overlooked Harry Gregson-Williams score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, you just praised 2 of my all time favorite scores in Snow Falling On Cedars and Beyond Rangoon, so you must be right smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    The calmer, the better.

CALM, CALM, CALM!

Especially on Saturday, right? cheesy

Except Saturdays, of course. Then it's RAVE all night long! punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    Timmer wrote

It's a fine score for background listening (minus a march track, I think).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

It's a perfect late-night listen. It's beautifully constructed, elegant, intimate, and unusually restrained for a Williams/Spielberg collaboration. I love it!

-Erik-

Yeah, what he said.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I think the finale piece is excellent, but the album I seem to remember being the slog that Timmer mentions. I need to revisit it and see if I'll have a Tintin-like turn around in opinion (I hope I do).

Yes, there is always that possibility. I haven't dismissed LINCOLN, John Williams never turns out anything but the highest quality of composition but it just may be that each time I've decided to listen to it has been the "wrong" time? The Vaughan Williams score gave me what I wanted yesterday so cripes knows why I thought a listen to Lincoln would satisfy me.
  7. NP: Prisoners - Jóhann Jóhannsson

This has to be one of the best scores I have heard this year so far.

A very low-key and sombre score, one that definitely gets under your skin. There's no great themes but there's a feel and a texture to it that I find very appealing. It's an example of a score that I would worry about seeing the film after hearing the music because I would not want the music-only experience to be influenced by the images.

Seems a bit of the wrong way round, but there you go!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Scribe wrote
    Well, you just praised 2 of my all time favorite scores in Snow Falling On Cedars and Beyond Rangoon, so you must be right smile

I just have an intuition that it's the small-scale works where composers put the most heart in. When they actually can't refer to their technical proficiency when they're uninspired. When every single note does count.

I'd really take Schindler's List over even Indiana Jones any day and I'd take In Country over For Greater Glory any day. I'd take The Magic of Marciano over Sinbad: The Legend of the Seven Seas any day and so on.

It's not about tugging to (on, in?) the heart strings, it's about the introspection for me. When the epic comes out from introspection, that's the way to go for me with music. Sure, I love the fun of something like Broken Arrow or, for that matter, Modern Warfare 3, some of the time, but at the end of the day, the more introspective psychological scores is what I really like. This is why Patriot Games has grown on me so much for example.

Another perfect example for what I would say an introspective psychological score, while by no means small-scale (though I'd argue that's not the biggest scale possible for such a genre if not the project) is Goldsmith's First Blood. It's a perfect psychological portrait of a PTSD (even if it's not mentioned in the movie by name) struck veteran, who reacts instinctively. The anger and desperation contained in the score is something that rivals even Goldsmith's standards of anger in the action music. It's not just yet another action score... it's a portrait of utter desperation and run for his own life. Who would have known that a person's resignation and sadness would be conveyed by an acoustic guitar ostinato and a trumpet theme? Goldsmith did.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited
    I fucking hate HATE!!!! It's A Long Road and only like it in it's action form! FACT! And when I hear the song sung by that sorry-arsed singer it just makes me feel like stretching puppies to breaking point crazy

it doesn't help that I've just eaten a Cadbury's double decker chocolate bar for the first time in decades, who invented this shit? just awful glue-like muck, they should call it the Sticky Tar coated fused road gravel topped with magma bar.
  9. You don't like Home Coming?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really? sad
    I positively love it. It's a really powerful, poignant theme.
    Even as a song.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's mawkish to me, I dunno but it rubs me the wrong way, it always has right from when I first heard it ( and that was on it's release ), but as I said I do like some variations of it both in First Blood and it's sequel scores, particularly in it's heroic version.