• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013
    Southall wrote
    I thought The Next Generation was generally shite. Loved Deep Space Nine.

Also, arguing about the best Star Trek tv series is one of the greatest internet pastimes, I feel.

Deep Space Nine was great, you have a point there. Plus they had the new uniforms, the grey ones, my second favourite Star Trek uniforms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I won't reveal which are my favourite just yet. It's far too early in the discussion for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, I liked the DS9 uniforms too. They are my second favourite.

My favourite... well, I'll reveal when you reveal. But I'll give you a clue - they're the ones from Star Trek II to Star Trek VI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That... that is also my favourite of the Star Trek uniforms. uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You are a man of taste. Those uniforms do have the virtue of being the only ones in Star Trek that might conceivably be worn by military officers some day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I feel like we've really reached an important point here.

Though it was a pretty dull Star Trek argument, given that we agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    Southall wrote

Also, arguing about the best Star Trek tv series is one of the greatest internet pastimes, I feel.

TRUTH!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

TRUTH!

DOUBLE TRUTH!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. "Cole's Tune" from MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS by Michael Kamen.

I LOVE this piece. It's so serene, so personal, and so tender. And the prominent instrument is a flute! How many genuinely moving pieces of music can you think of that prominently feature the flute? And how many of those pieces are better than this one? What a wonderful cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm trying to think of great themes with flute as lead instrument and the only one that comes to mind is John Barry's ROBIN & MARIAN, probably because it's one of my all time favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Williams' Jane Eyre?
    Most of Morricone's western themes (he's a recorder maniac!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Delerue who?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Delerue who?

Gare?
    Kazoo
  2. Southall wrote
    Delerue.

DELERUE!

This. Also I thought of the first part of Goldsmith's theme to RUDY. Haven't heard Williams's JANE EYRE. Can't remember ROBIN AND MARIAN. I'll have to back and listen to that one again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    Haven't heard Williams' JANE EYRE! You've got to remedy that, christopher. It's one of those scores that are almost universally liked and is the personal favourite of several here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Haven't heard Williams' JANE EYRE! You've got to remedy that, christopher. It's one of those scores that are almost universally liked and is the personal favourite of several here.

Me in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones - Atli Orvarsson

Really good. One of the most melodic comic book score not written for a comic book movie. Immensely listenable and thematic. 2013 has been a prime year for showcasing good composers from the Remote Control Productions studio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Me in particular.

Me too, although there are a couple of Williamses I would put in front of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me three. Possibly John Williams' most Vaughan Williams-like score?
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: THE BEST OF... (John Scott)

A sampler that our own Thomas sent me. Some of it is a bit too 'bombastic', but there's a lot of great stuff here too.

when it concerns John Scott, nothing's too bombastic beer
    but glad you like it wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I think so. RVW's influence is in a lot of John Williams work, JW's genius here is that unlike some other composer(s) I won't name he never sounds like he's doing a homage or pastiche or an outright steal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Angela's Ashes is another one I'd put up there with Jane Eyre, in terms of quality and RVW'ness. The strings! THE STRINGS! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Williams has frequently tapped into that territory in individual tracks -- most recently in WAR HORSE -- but not as consistently throughout the whole thing as JANE EYRE.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Steven wrote

Me four. And: Quite possibly.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GADFLY / 5 DAYS, 5 NIGHTS (Dimitri Shostakovich)

'Lush' is just the first word that comes to mind. I love it when film music gets so classical in sound, it becomes....well, classical!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

Me four. And: Quite possibly.

Volker

Alright! It's been on my to-get list forever. I just haven't gotten around to it (my list is really long). I hope it's still available.
  6. NP: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) - Alex North
    The National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith (Varese)

This beautiful bitter-sweet music will make you listen, enchanted, transfixed, spellbound.

Volker
  7. Oh my goodness.

Those D.S.9. uniforms were utter crap. The Defiant was ugly as sin. The show was engulfed in a war for years that was never belivable or done properly and then they threw in another pointless war with the Klingons. A lot of the acting was below that of even TNG characters (even Worf looked bored on the show); is it no shock the two most interesting crew members were paired off as friends?
    Who the fuck bought that love between Odo and, well, never mind. Not even worth mentioning. Ever again. It's cringe worthy, kind of like the Doctor and 7 of 9.

The show was so centered around it's own universe and mythology, it often lost track of what made Trek Trek.

I enjoyed some of it and had some favorite moments, but I can't name an episode I loved, unlike TOS, TNG, and God help me -- even Voyager.

Weak. Oh, and before those terrible uniforms, they had the ugly new ones from Voyager. It just. Wouldn't. Fucking. End.

"Hey, I know! We'll surprise the audience and ad drama by throwing in a little seen alien race into the Dominian war!"

Doesn't work.

"Hey, I know, let's make it even cooler by dragging in a popular TOS/TNG alien race into the Dominian war."

Falls flat.

"Hey, I know! Let's use the old cliched of killing off a major character in the end!"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Yes, it did work. It was hugely successful. That doesn't make it art. But it did work.

And bthw: Captain Ben Sisko wasn't killed. He translated to another plane of existence. Like Obi Wan.

wink Volker