• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    NP: Standing Up - Brian Tyler

Possibly Tyler's most emotional score of this decade thus far. Gorgeous, even if it doesn't break any new ground.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Today in the mail and

NP: The New World - (2006) James Horner

The praise of this score was sung on this and on other boards lately. So I decided to make it an unplanned aquisition. It's entry No 801.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Tell me what you think. How well do you know Malick's cinema?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Well, admit that I was distracted when it was on earlier because I had to prepare classes for tomorrow. What I heard, I liked. Very solemn, introspected, almost meditative. Some Hornerisms, yes, but never obstructive.

(Wrong edit, sorry)
  4. About 20-30 minutes (in the expanded cut), half of which is NOT on the album and half of the album stuff is repeated a few times. So the album is about 5-6 minutes properly used, probably in the wrong scenes.

That said, I very much prefer the film version of Rolfe Proposes which goes all the way to the wedding scene. A brilliant moment of almost shy introspection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    Impressions of America - Patrick Doyle

I had previously avoided this because it got a bad reception around here. But I'm going through a bit of a Doyle phase so thought I'd give it a try - and I quite like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    Southall wrote

I had previously avoided this because it got a bad reception around here. But I'm going through a bit of a Doyle phase so thought I'd give it a try - and I quite like it.

It has some very good parts. And its an excellent recording.
  5. Southall wrote

Not sure if "bad" is the right word, more just lukewarm. I think it's decent but more restrained than I would have liked and there's only one cue ("Great Plains") where it really feels like Doyle was able to cut loose, emotionally speaking.
  6. Southall wrote
    Puppeteer - Patrick Doyle

Brilliant.

This is indeed a very enjoyable score. Not sure if it's quite "brilliant" for me, considering it's essentially a series of rather brief vignettes, but it's so hard to write good, high-energy comedy music without it being too mickey-moused or slapsticky, and Doyle pulls it off as well as any I've ever heard here. "Fire the Long Toms!" is a particular treat, just so sprightly and fun. That particular cue actually reminds me of Joe Hisaishi a little.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Well, admit that I was distracted when it was on earlier because I had to prepare classes for tomorrow. What I heard, I liked. Very solemn, introspected, almost meditative. Some Hornerisms, yes, but never obstructive.

It's playing again. Beautiful, gripping music. James Horner in top form.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ANNA AND THE KING (George Fenton)

This is such a gobsmackingly beautiful score, it's hard to believe it isn't talked about more often.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote

This is such a gobsmackingly beautiful score, it's hard to believe it isn't talked about more often.

As a child I loved the series with Yul Brynner! love

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068039/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

Volker
  9. NP: Novecento - 1900 (1976) - Ennio Morricone

Stunningly beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nouvelle France - Patrick Doyle

A bit too repetitive, but the core of material is outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    "Les Retrouvailles" is one of the highlights of Doyle's career for me. In fact, I will listen to it right now smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

It is a great score and that's exactly why it isn't talked about beyond any praise, it's not divisive like the works of Zimmer & co.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

Really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Senna - Antonio Pinto

This documentary score is eclectic, organic and a complete 180 from the glossy synth-heavy score for Rush. I like it, though it probably wouldn't work so well within Ron Howard's production.
  10. Southall wrote

Really good.

Do you think? I couldn't stand more than a few seconds of most of the tracks. The last couple of cues are good when the score drops it's mickey-mousing lovefest and concentrates on the drama.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

It is a great score and that's exactly why it isn't talked about beyond any praise, it's not divisive like the works of Zimmer & co.

Divisive? Not recently. Either unanimously hated or unanimously praised, I'm afraid.

There are great scores that get obscure in the discussions here and some of them do feature the names you just mentioned and some feature obscure composers, to which Fenton actually belongs. I am not very knowledgeable of his career for one (I did hear some of his beautiful documentary scores, but don't remember which ones).
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Divisive? Not recently. Either unanimously hated or unanimously praised, I'm afraid.

There are great scores that get obscure in the discussions here and some of them do feature the names you just mentioned and some feature obscure composers, to which Fenton actually belongs. I am not very knowledgeable of his career for one (I did hear some of his beautiful documentary scores, but don't remember which ones).

Talk about setting up a counter attack.

popcorn
  13. Fenton in the more "modern" film music fan circles IS a rather obscure composer, I'm afraid. He's not exactly scoring modern blockbusters, is he? And that's what gets the most attention.

What led to the demise of more classical film music approach in blockbuster cinema is something I can't fully understand and I have always been for diversity in film music circles. I think this should be properly discussed in one day, trying to find out what defined and what established the modern trends. The problem is that I'd rather have the discussion in a non-judgmental way...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013 edited
    'Obscure' is certainly not a word I would use for Fenton, even though he isn't employed in the big Hollywood action films or whatever. Heck, based on the nature documentaries alone, he still has a very relevant position in the industry. And of course, in the 80s and 90s he was counted among the elite and that is not something that is automatically forgotten.

My prediction is that his upcoming score for Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM will put him on the fiction film map again too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't know he was doing that. Very good news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I honestly thought after Ever After and Anna and the King that he would become a real A-lister. He didn't, but he's written some outstanding music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Land Before Time - James Horner

Nobody ever talks about this and it certainly isn't by an obscure composer. I guess a lot of it is probably pilfered from classical music, but in any case - it's exceptional music. Long, drawn-out, balletic, through-composed pieces of music in an animation!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited
    That's probably one of my 5 favorite Horners. And the opening cue probably one of my 5 favorite Horner pieces. I'm sorry but, I even like the song. Once again, I will play this suggestion now. lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013
    Pawel wrote

...and that's not divisive? biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. Thought of that biggrin But what I mean is that basically everybody agrees on Man of Steel and, say, Lone Ranger and/or Rush (though with the latter let's wait for the never-failing Christian Clemmensen).