• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013
    So what am I if I'm not part of everybody?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. You're you and that matters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Unless you're Bono. He's you too!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Just remember: You're unique. Just like everybody else.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Puppeteer - Patrick Doyle

Really good.

Do you think? I couldn't stand more than a few seconds of most of the tracks. The last couple of cues are good when the score drops it's mickey-mousing lovefest and concentrates on the drama.

I said this just a couple days ago, but I think the strength of this score is that it's definitely comedic, but not in a slapstick or Mickey-mousing way. To me Mickey-mousing is when the music has no real structure whatsoever, full of stops and starts and tempo changes and such. Doyle's music definitely has structure, even if the cues are short and the tone is comedic and lighthearted.

That said, I do agree that this score is at its best in the few cues when it's not being silly.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Puppeteer - Patrick Doyle

Really good.

Do you think? I couldn't stand more than a few seconds of most of the tracks. The last couple of cues are good when the score drops it's mickey-mousing lovefest and concentrates on the drama.

I said this just a couple days ago, but I think the strength of this score is that it's definitely comedic, but not in a slapstick or Mickey-mousing way. To me Mickey-mousing is when the music has no real structure whatsoever, full of stops and starts and tempo changes and such. Doyle's music definitely has structure, even if the cues are short and the tone is comedic and lighthearted.

That said, I do agree that this score is at its best in the few cues when it's not being silly.

Yeah: like in this legendary Moving Day (1936)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLg0A3eMdU

I never tire of watching this. bounce

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    When will there be another score like The Impossible?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: ANNA AND THE KING (George Fenton)

This is such a gobsmackingly beautiful score, it's hard to believe it isn't talked about more often.

it's a great score indeed. And I also love love the film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein

Well, you know what they say - you could
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited
    NP: Moonrise Kingdom (the promo) - Alexandre Desplat

EVen though the OST version contains a lot of lovely work by Benjamin Britten (the magnificent 'Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra is an integral part of the soundtrack) , I find it too uneven a listen to really enjoy.
    Desplat's work here though is just lovely, and fits beautifully to Wes Anderson's (once again) utterly offbeat comedy.

Good soundtrack for a VERY good film.

EDIT: Hm. I see now why the OST was brimming with classical pieces: Desplat's score gives a new definition to the concept of monothematic: the theme, very good but based on just two notes, just plays over and over and over again in slightly different arrangements.

Sigh.
    Too bad. This is not a keeper.
    I think I'll give Britten a listen next.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    Started on Britten (WRONG THREAD - yes, I know), but found it slightly too invasive (I'm still working and can't pay it the full attention I should), so switched to Those Calloways - Max Steiner

Don't know the film (the CD front looks horrifically wholesome and Disney-esque), but Steiner sure delivers the goods: sweet, melodic with all the little hooks into traditional melodies or previous material Steiner excels at (and Thor hates so much).
    Me, I'm enjoying this: it's lovely, "clean" (as in wholly predictable) and helps me concentrate immensely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    EVen though the OST version contains a lot of lovely work by Benjamin Britten (the magnificent 'Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra is an integral part of the soundtrack)

It never occured to me before, but I think John Williams referenced the name of that piece when he wrote his "Young Person's Guide to the Cello" a couple of years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013 edited
    It's become a bit of a staple as a name. smile
    But as far as I know Britten was the first.

And it is a magnificent piece, even if it is based on Purcell's gorgeous Rondeau from Abdelazer, which is indeed one of those themes one would wish just goes on and on and on, rather than being the rather brief incidental bit it actually is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CITIZEN KANE (Bernard Herrmann)

Perhaps a bit gloomy for a Sunday morning, but definitely a classy start of the day! This is the Varese rerecording.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Amanda - Basil Poledouris

A boy and his horse, or whatever. The movie plot sounds as saccharine as anything Disney put out in the late fifties, but who cares? I'll never see it.
    The SCORE however is one I revisit regularly.
    Gawd, but that man knows how to put a melody together and impress it on the listener in the best, and most emotionally effective way. Even the underscore is lovely, but whenever the themes shine through it's like the sun breaking through the clouds.

I'm so glad Poledouris was around in a time when a theme, a tune and a proper musical presence were still a film's main attraction points.
    I doubt he'd have had much employ these days.
    But WHAT a legacy he leaves for us.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But to be fair, even Poledouris had a few scores I don't care about and that aren't particularly listener-friendly or melodic. The horror film SPELLBINDER comes to mind (if anyone wants this, I'll give it to them for free). Never cared much for ROBOCOP either, outside the main theme.

Just to add some balance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure.
    But what he's left that is truly outstanding really outshines his less listener-friendly material by such a significant margin that it wouldn't detract from my point about his legacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Game Of Thrones (season 3) - Ramin Djawadi

Aside from some cues that are too subdued and clearly simple functional underscore, this series of music is just getting better and better! Interesting, thoughtful and dramatic, with some truly outstanding cues like the dark 'A Lannister ALways Pays His Debts', the powerful 'Mhysa'and the beautiful solo guitar rendition of the theme at the end 'For The Realm'

I would say this is my favourite season so far as far as muisc is concerned!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mine too. The Lannister theme is really rather good!

Here's my playlist of the highlights so far:

Main Titles
    The Kingsroad
    The King's Arrival
    Jon's Honor
    Game Of Thrones
    The Night's Watch
    Finale

The Throne Is Mine
    What Is Dead May Never Die
    Wildfire
    I Am Her's, She Is Mine
    Don't Die With A Clean Sword
    Stand And Fight
    Mother Of Dragons

A Lannister Always Pays His Debts
    Dracarys
    Dark Wings, Dark Words
    You Know Nothing
    Wall Of Ice
    The Lannisters Send Their Regards
    Mhysa
    For The Realm
  6. The German National Anthem
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You old nationalist, you!
  7. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013
    Poltergeist 2 - Goldsmith

Poltergeist (1) has alwas been one of my all time favorite Goldsmith scores. Hard to beat really!
    But I still very much like the second instalment (as in score) despite being quite synth heavy most of the time.
    This Kritzerland release is impressive. Having the unreleased short cues and alternative tracks in pristine sound is rather wonderful if you're a Goldsmith nut. I admit, I am.
    An impressive package for another Goldsmith gem!
  8. Are you familiar with the Varese edition of that score? Can you make any comparisons?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Indeed. I have both.
    If you have the Varese "deluxe edition" then that may be all you need.
    The the audio quality is fine on the Varese but the improvement on the Kritzerland edition is quite evident.
    I thought the Varese was the "be all and end all" for Poltergeist 2 for me until I heard the new samples a few weeks back. Extra music and interesting alternative material was what sold me. I took the plunge and bought it. And I have absolutely no regrets.
  9. Thanks! In deed I have the "de luxe" edition. I think that will do for me since I am not the biggest fan of the score. It's certainly a fine score though. Just not all to my taste.
  10. NP: The Spellboud Concerto - Miklos Rozsa

Utha Symphony Orchestra conducted by ? / Piano played by ?
    Hollywood Chronicles Vol. 1 Great Movie Classics (Varese 1992)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think the score deserves a bit more credit than it does get from fans, wonderful and powerful "Indian theme" and the exceptionally creepy renditions of the hymn God Is In His Holy Temple. Still, it's Goldsmith's fault for writing such a brilliant first score.

I'm with the Captain though, the Varese Deluxe is enough for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEYOND THE GATES ( aka SHOOTING DOGS ) - Dario Marianelli

Beautiful, heart-rending score to a very good and incredibly powerful film.