• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    ...Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, does things that a blockbuster action/adventure score has never done before...

Bollocks!

Scribe wrote
    Clearly, growing up with a certain kind of music prevalent gives you ears specifically trained to discern details about that kind of music as opposed to others...

Ah, then in that case, my mistake.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    Indeed.

The BBC program provoked me in its rather one-sided angle -- it was far too tabloid, focussing on the negative aspects alone (which have been discussed ad nauseaum in film music circles for years). Wish it were more nuanced.

I was also provoked by some of the reactionary responses in that thread, of course (typical of FSM), but I'm more concerned about a BBC program profiling the artform that way.

I appreciate your point of view Thor and, being immersed in the subject, there's nothing really new for us. But, I think that the programme has to be seen in the light of the season of programming in general. And I think that this is where the "balance" can be found. Most of the rest of the programmes (across TV and radio) are celebratory of film music. But this particular programme was looking at one specific aspect of the scoring process today. And with a limited time (45 minutes) it did a good job at raising these issues. I am sure that the majority of the Radio 3 listeners who have a passing interest in film music won't have come across this topic much.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013
    Yeah. I just hope the 'celebratory' pieces aren't relegated to older film music alone -- and that this film music season of theirs (which is to be applauded!) can showcase some of the brilliant new stuff too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Clearly, growing up with a certain kind of music prevalent gives you ears specifically trained to discern details about that kind of music as opposed to others, because I find Horner's comment to be ridiculous. If anything, Williams' score is much less distinctive, since it uses the same structure and same "bold brassy hero theme" concept that the rest of Williams' scores of that time period use. Whereas Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, does things that a blockbuster action/adventure score has never done before. Obviously, he hasn't actually listened to many modern superhero scores. I couldn't tell Star Wars, Superman, and Indiana Jones apart if I wasn't already familiar with them, either. In fact, for much of my life I couldn't hum the love themes of those 3 films to myself because they are so similar that they got mixed up in my brain.

Crikey!!! It takes all sorts I suppose.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Indeed.

The BBC program provoked me in its rather one-sided angle -- it was far too tabloid, focussing on the negative aspects alone (which have been discussed ad nauseaum in film music circles for years). Wish it were more nuanced.

I was also provoked by some of the reactionary responses in that thread, of course (typical of FSM), but I'm more concerned about a BBC program profiling the artform that way.

I appreciate your point of view Thor and, being immersed in the subject, there's nothing really new for us. But, I think that the programme has to be seen in the light of the season of programming in general. And I think that this is where the "balance" can be found. Most of the rest of the programmes (across TV and radio) are celebratory of film music. But this particular programme was looking at one specific aspect of the scoring process today. And with a limited time (45 minutes) it did a good job at raising these issues. I am sure that the majority of the Radio 3 listeners who have a passing interest in film music won't have come across this topic much.

Well said Alan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    ...Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, does things that a blockbuster action/adventure score has never done before...

Bollocks!

No, you were right first time.

BOLLOCKS!
  3. Scribe wrote
    ... I couldn't tell Star Wars, Superman, and Indiana Jones apart if I wasn't already familiar with them, either. In fact, for much of my life I couldn't hum the love themes of those 3 films to myself because they are so similar that they got mixed up in my brain.

What you said about those love themes is true.
    Indeed there are some similarities between the Williams-phenomenon of the late 70s and early 80s and the Zimmer-phenomenon of recent years. Producers were craving that block-buster-music sound back then as they are now. Of course Willliams was riding the tiger just the way Zimmer does today.
    But further comparisons between Williams and Zimmer will lead astray. Starting from his background and composing techniques he compares much better with Vangelis.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote

Bollocks!

No, you were right first time.

BOLLOCKS!

Ok, name another blockbuster action/adventure score that uses a steel guitar as its primary means of expressing emotion in the film's intimate scenes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Ah, I see.

Perhaps it was groundbreaking not have used a steel guitar? wink

I assumed that your suggestion was something more than a variety in the orchestration. If someone of the stature of James Horner is highlighting that they are all the same, I for one will take note and assume that there is something to the statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ah, I see.

Perhaps it was groundbreaking not have used a steel guitar? wink

I assumed that your suggestion was something more than a variety in the orchestration. If someone of the stature of James Horner is highlighting that they are all the same, I for one will take note and assume that there is something to the statement.

So you're admitting that I have a point, and all you can respond with is "the difference isn't very important" (maybe they said that about the first every piano-based love theme too?) and "James Horner's opinion matters more so you're wrong"?

Actually its kind of hilarious that James Horner of all people is criticizing modern scores for sounding all the same. Um, look at yourself, sir? Not that I don't love Horner's music, but he's the absolute king of writing the same music over and over again, or not being distinctive, as he apparently puts it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The fact that it has something supposedly never done before doesn't necessarily mean it's good. What matters is how you use that idea, and personally I don't think Zimmer's Man of Steel is a particularly interesting score - even if it does have a steel guitar.

Although I concede to your point about Williams' scores being very similar in their structure, and probably hard to differentiate between them from a non-fan perspective, I think it hardly matters given that they are all truly excellent scores with truly excellent themes. The themes are all memorable, and they all work extremely well, which to my mind far outweighs the supposed con of relying on a more traditional approach and not trying something new.

For doing something new, my vote unequivocally goes to Remember Me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I said nothing about whether Man of Steel was good or bad or whether Williams' 80s scores were good or bad. I was simply challenging Horner's statement that all modern superhero scores sound the same. They don't.

Well, the Marvel ones do. Except for Doyle's a little bit, but even that was RC-ified to death.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote

Ok, name another blockbuster action/adventure score that uses a steel guitar as its primary means of expressing emotion in the film's intimate scenes.

I don't think the question is whether it did, but whether it worked.
    The mere use of an instrument doesn't define the effectiveness of a score.
    At the end of the day it's whether it properly supports the visuals (which goes to the 'media-centric' point of view) or whether it's memorable musically (which would be the 'pure music' approach).

Using "quirky" or offbeat instruments in a score is by no means new (I have heard solo mouth harp scores, percussion scores, organ scores and of course when you talk quirky instrumentation then Thomas Newman ("sponge and broken glass") or John Powell (kazoo!) are WAY more distinctive.

But I guess it's neither here nor there: the human brain (or to be more nuanced: the occidental human brain) is keyed on repetitive and recognisable patterns. If ONLY for that reason, melodic scores like Williams will stick FAR longer in the brain -whether conscious ("I can whistle this tune") or subconscious ("I KNOW this tune!")- than Zimmer's soundscape work on Man Of Steel.

It's not a matter of preference.
    You're perfectly welcome to love the Man Of Steel score and to heap Williams' works together (heck, I've heard worse: I know of a bloke who only listens to hardcore trance because he can't stand any kind of melody line or harmony ("it all sounds the same!").), but at the end of the day that's merely a preference.

When we're talking about melodic and harmonic qualities or complexity of composition -which i guess we are- then it's a different matter. These are measurable qualities.
    And in that measure the score for Man of Steel is simply outclassed.
    Which is OK.
    It doesn't need to be what it never set out to be.

Besides, we've heard a comparable lament (although certainly less loudly!) during the late fifties up to the late seventies when pop influences started invading score composing and music, critically, was "dumbing down to four chords on a guitar". And then Williams came along and pretty much singlehandedly redefined the field to more reactionary format once more.

And now we have the two note electronically altered soundscaping craze.
    Me? I'm just riding that wave until the next Williams comes along and evreyone realises that, hey, you know what? A fantastically thematic score with full orchestra sounds REALLY good!
    smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thank you for your insightful post but

Scribe wrote
    I said nothing about whether Man of Steel was good or bad or whether Williams' 80s scores were good or bad. I was simply challenging Horner's statement that all modern superhero scores sound the same. They don't.

You all seem to be missing the point. I guess I suck at explaining myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote

It's statement that requires qualification, I guess: I'm pretty sure Horner means there's no distinct personality. But that development started way earlier than Zimmer.
    In fact, I can't think of a single other (regular) superhero film or series since (Elfman's) Batman where I'd be able to hum his or her theme (in the sense of a proper bar or twelve. Not that old 'two-note' chestnut argument).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Thank you for your insightful post but

Scribe wrote

You all seem to be missing the point. I guess I suck at explaining myself.

yes, I got that...it's just that composing my post took so long that there was some in-between posting in the meantime. smile

EDIT:
    Plus, to be honest, on rereading my post, it's quite clear there were a couple of more generic musings on the interview I wanted to get out there, but it's rather free flowing and not really a direct reply to several of the points you made.
    So, sorry for still hinging them on your post. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    No, I enjoyed the read, no need to apologize.

But your penultimate post to mine supports my original point...where you mention not being able to hum any superhero themes since Elfman-Batman...it all depends on what type of music your brain is best at analyzing. I still can't remember how the Indiana Jones love theme goes, or Elfman's Batman theme for that matter, but I have had at least 4 (no, 5, actually) emminently hummable themes from Man of Steel stuck in my head all summer, and all of them are much longer than 2 notes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Geezes, are we discussing MAN OF STEEL again?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE VILLAGE (James Newton Howard)

I've never been a big fan of JNH's Shyamalan scores, but I decided to get this after many recommendations. Let's see how it plays out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    Geezes, are we discussing MAN OF STEEL again?!?

Actually, technically we're discussing James Horner's opinions of modern superhero scores in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    James Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    James Horner.

I agree wholeheartedly!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I've never been a big fan of JNH's Shyamalan scores, but I decided to get this after many recommendations. Let's see how it plays out.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one.
  5. Skyfall.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm probably biased due to enjoying the games, but I find Gary Schyman's action/horror music for the Bioshock series to be absolutely delicious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one.

Played it through once now, and while I don't care much for the more traditional horror stuff, the more ethereal parts (with elements of minimalism) -- and extensive use of violin -- are quite lovely. Some Arvo Pärt stuff going on, which JNH seems to love. Dark and brooding, but in a sort of delicious way. How does this compare to the other Shyamalan scores on CD? I've only heard them in the movies themselves. My impression is that it's 80% droney horror stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    No, I enjoyed the read, no need to apologize.

But your penultimate post to mine supports my original point...where you mention not being able to hum any superhero themes since Elfman-Batman...it all depends on what type of music your brain is best at analyzing. I still can't remember how the Indiana Jones love theme goes, or Elfman's Batman theme for that matter, but I have had at least 4 (no, 5, actually) emminently hummable themes from Man of Steel stuck in my head all summer, and all of them are much longer than 2 notes.

Probably something to do with the fact that you've been listening to that score recently and haven't really listened to those other scores very much. The love theme from Raiders is one of those tunes which is always in my head, but I can't remember a damn thing about Man O' Steel (except that I was bored by it), because, shockingly, I don't listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Geezes

You've finally accepted Geezes into your heart?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Probably something to do with the fact that you've been listening to that score recently and haven't really listened to those other scores very much. The love theme from Raiders is one of those tunes which is always in my head, but I can't remember a damn thing about Man O' Steel (except that I was bored by it), because, shockingly, I don't listen to it.

My point exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ....which is why every single generation generally thinks music in 'their' time (i.e up to their mid-twenties) was the best ever and the world went to hell in a hand-basket afterwards.