• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Fireworks (Escape from tomorrow)

Holy crap! Most awesome track of 2013?

Peter punk

A great track! I prefer The Grand Finale though, now that is awesome.

It's a fabulous little score ( little as in it's only about 21 minutes )

The grand finale is indeed a grand finale! But I would have figured you for a Gates of tomorrow type of person, given how Barryish it is.

Peter smile

It's ALL bloody good. cool

Gates of Tomorrow is very Barryesque, very much in his Moonraker mode.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ender's Game - Jablonsky

Dire.

Wasn't it this one that Horner was going to do?

Yes. To think what might have been...
  2. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ender's Game - Jablonsky

Dire.

Wasn't it this one that Horner was going to do?

Yessir!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. plindboe wrote
    Fireworks (Escape from tomorrow)

Holy crap! Most awesome track of 2013?

Peter punk

Ugh. The choir in that track grates on me badly. I do not enjoy it. The rest of the track is very good, but when those voices start their piercing wails, it's all over for me.

"Grande Finale" is my pick from that score.

NP: ROMEO AND JULIET - Abel Korzeniowski.

First listen, and I'm so excited! Thank you, Spotify. You've made life so much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What a shame that it ruins it for you, considering the quality of the music. I don't mind that children's choir, as it makes it rather unique, but if it had been a more traditional choir, perhaps I'd have enjoyed it more... not sure.

Anyway, for a surreal horror movie taking place in Disneyland I guess a weird children's choir makes good sense.

Peter smile
  4. Sure.

ROMEO AND JULIET, by the way, is lovely. Very much in the vein of W.E. and A SINGLE MAN. Probably my favorite score of the year, now.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013
    Revolution, Season 1 - Christopher Lennertz

This is actually pretty good. Full orchestra and everything (which is refreshingly getting more common with these big-budget shows). I managed to make it through five episodes of Revolution before giving up on it but I remember the music working well. Just a shame it couldn't be for a better show.
  5. Josh B wrote
    Revolution, Season 1 - Christopher Lennertz

This is actually pretty good. Full orchestra and everything (which is refreshingly getting more common with these big-budget shows). I managed to make it through five episodes of Revolution before giving up on it but I remember the music working well. Just a shame it couldn't be for a better show.

A decent TV score but there was one thing about it that just irritated me no end, and that was Lennertz' apparent insistence on inserting "prickly" textures in every damn second of the score. I'm not entirely sure what exactly those sounds are, though I'm inclined to believe bowed cymbal, but whatever it is, it really hindered my enjoyment of the music to have this uneasy low-register squeaking in the background of cues. Even tracks where the rest of the music seemed to be telegraphing a different emotion entirely had this strange prickly effect in the background. Really bugged me for some reason. confused
  6. NP: Man of Steel - Hans Zimmer

Listening to some favourite tracks at the moment and I am still surprised how bland they are. Don't get me wrong, as pieces of music they are interesting to listen to. But the "bland" label really applies to the fact that the music is telling me nothing about the subject matter of the film itself.

Take the music away from the image and it's just pretty anonymous. Surely, for a film such as this, the music has to have some of the properties of the film it's written for? Or has the whole idea behind music for this type of film completely changed?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Or has the whole idea behind music for this type of film completely changed?

Yup.
  7. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Or has the whole idea behind music for this type of film completely changed?

Yup.

I kind of knew the answer to my own question but it was nice to have it confirmed in such a concise manner.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Man of Steel - Hans Zimmer

Listening to some favourite tracks at the moment and I am still surprised how bland they are. Don't get me wrong, as pieces of music they are interesting to listen to. But the "bland" label really applies to the fact that the music is telling me nothing about the subject matter of the film itself.

Take the music away from the image and it's just pretty anonymous. Surely, for a film such as this, the music has to have some of the properties of the film it's written for? Or has the whole idea behind music for this type of film completely changed?

I don't understand this impression. To me, the score is welded to the score as tightly as Darth Vader's glove. Its full of unique textures that allow instant recognition and feel intimately at home in the world of the film. For example, those high synth chops for the Kryptonian baby vat, its a unique sound that I've never heard in another score and creates the perfect accompanying feeling for those images. Its utterly brilliant to me and totally elevates the rather bland film.

In fact, I'd say Man of Steel's score is much more tightly tied to the film than Williams' Superman scores, iconic theme notwithstanding, and not to say its BETTER than Williams' score, just that there's a deeper music/sonic world in the new film.

I was actually very surprised at how different and unique Man of Steel was compared to the Batman films, with its own easily recognized personality.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. And I don't understand that impression.

NP: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Steve Jablonsky

I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment tonight I feel (but then it's all a matter of opinion and no-one is right or wrong). Although there's nothing new in this score AT ALL, to me, it's got a character about it that some other scores don't seem to have.

(But in saying that, Jablonsky's score has the same character as a lot of other scores! A character that's a guilty pleasure for me.)
  9. NP: KGB: The Secret War - Misha Segal

Quickly moved on to a score that few, if any, people will have an opinion on. Written in 1985 it's got some strong drum-pad love but a great theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Romeo & Juliet - Abel Korzeniowski

Just started listening via Google Play. It's in the same romantic mode as W.E. with its piano/strings led passages. Very lovely. Kinda reminiscent of Dario Marinelli's Beethoven inspired Pride & Prejudice score that's my favorite. However, It's missing a strong sweeping love theme though and that's what stopping me from being fully committed to it. So far, it's a great background listen, but it hasn't beaten W.E.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Man of Steel - Hans Zimmer

I don't understand this impression. To me, the score is welded to the score as tightly as Darth Vader's glove. Its full of unique textures that allow instant recognition and feel intimately at home in the world of the film. For example, those high synth chops for the Kryptonian baby vat, its a unique sound that I've never heard in another score and creates the perfect accompanying feeling for those images. Its utterly brilliant to me and totally elevates the rather bland film.

In fact, I'd say Man of Steel's score is much more tightly tied to the film than Williams' Superman scores, iconic theme notwithstanding, and not to say its BETTER than Williams' score, just that there's a deeper music/sonic world in the new film.

I was actually very surprised at how different and unique Man of Steel was compared to the Batman films, with its own easily recognized personality.

I like you, Scribe. You make sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    For the record, I like Matt too.

NP: Company of Heroes - Frederik Wiedmann

Wiedmann's music sounds quite good on its own but someone who posted on imdb.com didn't like how the music for this film came across:

"I cannot believe the annoyance allowed to be taken over by this film by the dull and out of place sound effects and music - music being my main gripe. What on earth was the sound production crew doing? If you watch any good war film dating back to the 40's the music is not the bug of any film, until I saw this. There was absolutely no need for the music over the scenes, it made the film feel cheap (OK it is low budget) where no music would had made it feel realistic. The sounds of tank movements, back ground noise, shots, explosions would have made this film feel 200 times better rather than the music. Why?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And I don't understand that impression.

Fair enough smile But you made me listen to it again cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There was absolutely no need for the music over the scenes, it made the film feel cheap (OK it is low budget) where no music would had made it feel realistic. The sounds of tank movements, back ground noise, shots, explosions would have made this film feel 200 times better rather than the music. Why?[/i]"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour … 9202323813
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE BOSSU - Philippe Sarde

cool
  10. Gathered together all my favourite tracks that I thought would make a good playlist for Halloween.

So far, it's been tracks from Mirrors (Navarrete), Un Amour de Swann (Hans-Werner Henze), The Shining (Penderecki), Alien (Goldsmith), Interview With The Vampire (Goldenthal), Freud (Goldsmith), The Presence (Pope) and Spider-Baby (Ronald Stein).

Nice and creepy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KRULL (James Horner)

Yeah, I listen to this once in a while too, even though I'm not excited as certain other members here. The great pieces are REALLY great.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Parkland - James Newton Howard

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  11. NP: Searching for Bobby Fischer - brushing up my James Horner after the wonderful concert in Vienna
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beyond Two Souls - Lorne Balfe

Actually quite good in parts. Easily the best thing I've heard from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013
    The Mortal Cellos: City of Rosin by Atli Orvarvorirarison.

It makes my ears feel pleasure. cheesy
  12. Today in the mail and

NP: Titus (2000) - Ellioth Goldenthal

I am a big fan of Ellioth Goldsmith* so the absence of this score could not any longer be tolerated.

Upon first listen I am astounded that I hear things that remind me of the LOTR scores of later years. And there is swing music, too. I clearly need to see the film again.

Volker

* EDIT: I mean GOLDENTHAL of course. shame
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  13. Seeing the film always helps with listening to Titus.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013
    NP: Jesus, The Desire of Ages by Patrick Rundbladh

I didn't know what this score would be like but its really beautiful in the well-mined vein of Balfe's The Bible and Debney's Passion of the Christ.