• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky

Even as a fan of the composer I have to say this is pretty terrible given the broad palette of emotions this story should inspire. Horner would have done a 1000% better job. This crap has less personality than Battleship and Transformers did, and those are terribly reviewed kids movies about toys, for crying out loud.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or on another messageboard, but there's about 20 minutes of this score that I will revisit when it pops up on my iTunes playlist. Funnily enough, they mostly contain a similar string-based passage that's obviously something that I have latched on to. My Ender's Game playlist would be:

Ender's War
    Battle School
    The Battle Room
    Salamander Battle
    Dragon Army
    Commander

And that's it!

The string based passage was cool until I realized that was basically the only "thematic" content in the entire score, and that it just kept repeating over and over again.

Ok, "Ender's Promise" is an alright track that at least comes 15% of the way to matching the feelings of the scene I think it goes with from the book.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Funny how a bit of chat can influence...

NP : STAR WARS EPISODE 1 : THE FORGOTTEN MENACE - John Williams

The good thing about this score is that once played you've instantly forgotten it so you can play it again and again, it's like getting a new John Williams score over and over that you can play all day long without ever getting bored.

Result! cool

Well, as I said earlier:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_267038

wink Volker

On second thought I would like to take back my comment about Giacchino. It has proven stupid.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013
    Yes I agree with all of those points except the Giacchino one.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. I think his "STAR TREK II" score is really smashing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "Michael Giacchino can't compose melodies" biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

The good thing about this score is that once played you've instantly forgotten it so you can play it again and again, it's like getting a new John Williams score over and over that you can play all day long without ever getting bored.

Result! cool

I started listening to Kevin Kiner's score to the Clone Wars animated series. I stopped after a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: White House Down - Harald Kloser & Thomas Wander

Not bad, but is somewhat inconsequential as well. Perfunctory score and serviceable for the needs of the movie. Trevor Morris' Olympus Has Fallen is a much better score in this respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    I think his "STAR TREK II" score is really smashing.

Speaking of that, if the movie didn't address the Khan aspect, it would have been just as good IMHO.
  3. lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

Result! cool

I started listening to Kevin Kiner's score to the Clone Wars animated series. I stopped after a while.

Yes. That pilot album is pretty bad. Anyhow, I think Kiner's efforts have improved a great deal during the series and I wouldn't mind another release.
  4. Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky

Even as a fan of the composer I have to say this is pretty terrible given the broad palette of emotions this story should inspire. Horner would have done a 1000% better job. This crap has less personality than Battleship and Transformers did, and those are terribly reviewed kids movies about toys, for crying out loud.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or on another messageboard, but there's about 20 minutes of this score that I will revisit when it pops up on my iTunes playlist. Funnily enough, they mostly contain a similar string-based passage that's obviously something that I have latched on to. My Ender's Game playlist would be:

Ender's War
    Battle School
    The Battle Room
    Salamander Battle
    Dragon Army
    Commander

And that's it!

The string based passage was cool until I realized that was basically the only "thematic" content in the entire score, and that it just kept repeating over and over again.

Ok, "Ender's Promise" is an alright track that at least comes 15% of the way to matching the feelings of the scene I think it goes with from the book.

My thoughts exactly. That little cello thing just repeats over and over again. Honestly the only cue I can see myself revisiting is "Ender's War", or maybe "The Battle Room" to have a laugh over the Game of Thrones temp track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER (Basil Poledouris)

This is the original Intrada, of course. A great listening experience -- part times jaunty & reflective, but always thematically driven.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    lp wrote

Yes. That pilot album is pretty bad. Anyhow, I think Kiner's efforts have improved a great deal during the series and I wouldn't mind another release.

The album had a weird temp score vibe. I hope it got better/less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    lp wrote

Not bad, but is somewhat inconsequential as well. Perfunctory score and serviceable for the needs of the movie. Trevor Morris' Olympus Has Fallen is a much better score in this respect.

One thing I like about this score is that it doesn't sound like a typical RC score. There are themes and orchestral happenings with the electronics, typical of something like a John Debney approach, if just not as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Battlestar Galactica (McCreary)

Contains several nice themes, but also a lot of filler and more loud percussion than Man of steel. Working on creating a single compilation with my favourite tracks, and it will likely exceed 100 minutes of music.

Peter smile
  5. lp wrote
    lp wrote

One thing I like about this score is that it doesn't sound like a typical RC score. There are themes and orchestral happenings with the electronics, typical of something like a John Debney approach, if just not as good.

I thought a lot of the action music sounded like a bland, watered-down, less-exciting variation on Marco Beltrami's Die Hard scores (same ballpark of light rhythmic electronics, same asymmetrical rhythms), but for me the best moment in the score is in the beginning of the opening cue when it strikes up a lovely little echoey piano ostinato straight out of a James Newton Howard fantasy score. A shame it never builds on that vibe.

They're weird ones, Kloser and Wanker. Their intentions always seem to be in the right place, their scores are always more or less thematic, but for whatever reason the music always comes out the other end sounding so bland and forgettable. On paper there doesn't really seem to be anything wrong with it but practically everyone in the film music world has the same "meh" reactions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    lp wrote
    lp wrote

I thought a lot of the action music sounded like a bland, watered-down, less-exciting variation on Marco Beltrami's Die Hard scores (same ballpark of light rhythmic electronics, same asymmetrical rhythms), but for me the best moment in the score is in the beginning of the opening cue when it strikes up a lovely little echoey piano ostinato straight out of a James Newton Howard fantasy score. A shame it never builds on that vibe.

They're weird ones, Kloser and Wanker. Their intentions always seem to be in the right place, their scores are always more or less thematic, but for whatever reason the music always comes out the other end sounding so bland and forgettable. On paper there doesn't really seem to be anything wrong with it but practically everyone in the film music world has the same "meh" reactions.

This is true for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcrocodile
    Terminator Salvation and Black Beauty (the recent reissue).

Karol - still in Elfman realm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Perfect Storm - James Horner

There are two accusations that could not be levelled at this album:

(i) It's too short
    (ii) It doesn't feature enough of the main theme
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2013 edited
    NP : JAWS - John Williams

dino <--well, it's more appropriate than it is as a flaming Dinosaur innit! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorcrocodile
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2013
    Just received the expanded Patriot Games. Never heard that before and I have to say I'm impressed, even with the development of Khatchaturian's adagio theme. Subtle, anxious and restrained - not exactly your typical Horner.

Karol
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Rock - Media Ventures

Awesome score. It's one of my all-time favorite score to one of my favorite action movie. I NEED a complete version of this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE VILLAGE (James Newton Howard)

Yeah, I'm positive -- I like this now! Still not sold on the other Shyamalan scores, but this one is up my alley.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. lp wrote
    NP: The Rock - Media Ventures

Awesome score. It's one of my all-time favorite score to one of my favorite action movie. I NEED a complete version of this score.

punk punk punk punk punk punk
  7. yeah

NP: The New Word (2006) - James Horner

What can you say? This is of gripping beauty!

Volker
  8. NP: Hair (Film version, 1979) - MacDermot, Rado, Ragni

Great spirit, undying songs!

cool Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

dino <--well, it's more appropriate than it is as a flaming Dinosaur innit! slant

I watched the film the other day, and it never fails to impress. I LOVE that film and its brilliant brilliant score. And I love the fake shark. punk

I've never seen any of the sequels, I don't intend to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013
    Never mind the sequels Steven (well, Jaws 2 if you must). Your words match my thoughts exactly.
    Jaws has always been in my top 3 films list. A pure, unadulterated classic!

....and yes, Bruce rules!
    Maybe he just looks a bit different because he's a juvenile megalodon!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I watched the film the other day, and it never fails to impress. I LOVE that film and its brilliant brilliant score. And I love the fake shark. punk

Well done! I saw the sequel at the cinema shame ...but didn't see any Jaws sequels after that punk

Jaws 2 is an awesome score though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE VILLAGE (James Newton Howard)

Yeah, I'm positive -- I like this now! Still not sold on the other Shyamalan scores, but this one is up my alley.

Lovely score that channels Vaughan Williams.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well done! I saw the sequel at the cinema shame ...but didn't see any Jaws sequels after that punk

Jaws 2 is an awesome score though.

I have no recollection of Jaws 2 except the ending. And I did see Jaws 3D. Would rather not repeat biggrin

Jaws 4 totally escaped me even if it stars Michael Caine of all people.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website