• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013
    Southall wrote
    If you insist.

I do! angry
  1. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    From what I remember and I haven't heard it for ages, it's Badelt doing The Thin Red Line a bit, isn't it?

Not too blatantly like some scores we could name but yes, it does have a TRL feel

No wonder, actually he did work on TRL. And he's one of the composers who managed to "internalize" it rather than just rip off.

Pity that people (producers mostly) tend to forget that John Powell was on it as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Brian Tyler
    I do like its trip-hoppy goodness. A lot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Trip-hop? Where?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Here and there and everywhere.
    It's very much what Kyd does as well. Very Hooverphonic/Morcheeba/Portisheadish.
    With a seafaring slant.
    And Brian drumming.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Hmm, there are quite a few recent woodwind-heavy scores, aren't there? Just not in blockbusters.

I'll go a step further and say it's nice to hear someone using them for something other than sensitive melodic lines.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hmm, there are quite a few recent woodwind-heavy scores, aren't there? Just not in blockbusters.

I'll go a step further and say it's nice to hear someone using them for something other than sensitive melodic lines.

The Ghost Writer suite was great at the concert last week but not as powerful as on cd. I heard the woodwinds were recorded separately and then doubled or tripled (or something like that). However, it was great to see the orchestra doing this suite.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CAMELOT - Mychael Danna & Jeff Danna

This is very very enjoyable, a great blend of orchestral/choral lushness with celtic elements, I like it a lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Gotta try and find it! I do like both Danna brothers (Jeff was a nice interview, as well).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Pleasure Of His Company - Alfred Newman

A lovely score, with all the wit and charm of that elusive (and, let's face it, rather false) innocence of these fifties films.
    Strongly lyrical, as Newman is known for, with several themes that could easily carry over in pop/jazz/easy listening if there'd be lyrics set to them.

It sports a great jazzy main theme, with a warm, muffled trumpet taking center stage.
    Typical of course is the lush and strongly emotional writing for strings: it's unmistakebly Newman at his loveliest. And even if this score is not one of his outstanding great ones, it is always a pleasure to come back to this warm and thoroughly nostalgic kind of scoring.

Thoroughly enjoying this on a Sunday afternoon, which fits it to a -t.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Gotta try and find it! I do like both Danna brothers (Jeff was a nice interview, as well).

Spotify my friend. Spotify! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

It's a great pity Williams didn't collaborate with his younger brother Pharrell on this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    applause
    Kazoo
  5. Timmer wrote
    NP : CAMELOT - Mychael Danna & Jeff Danna

This is very very enjoyable, a great blend of orchestral/choral lushness with celtic elements, I like it a lot.

So do I!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

It's a great pity Williams didn't collaborate with his younger brother Pharrell on this one.

Stop iiiiit! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013 edited
    NP: THE MUSIC OF BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FOR SOLO PIANO (Bear McCreary)

Amazingly, this is my first McCreary album, and it's not even an original soundtrack, but cover versions of the music from the series (which I loved!). But...I really like what I'm hearing so far. Soothing and slightly minimalistic.

[Edit: OK, so it gets a BIT monotonous eventually]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013
    Yesterday it was a Howard Shore meets Tolkien day, so I played The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings scores. Today I feel more like Desplat (I adore this guy!) so:
    NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2.

Stydying like crazy for the M.Ed. again and music is all that helps!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Bregt wrote
    ROMEO & JULIET | abel korzeniowski

Wow. Most of it is absolutely beautiful music but perhaps the album is a little too long. Great themes and orchestration, very reminiscent of W.E. but that's not a bad thing. It's only a few times there's a real connection to that score.

I'm glad you like it. For me is the best score of the year!
  6. Black Beauty (1994) - Danny Elfman
    LLL-edition

When I returned from the North Sea yesterday evening, I found this CD waiting for me.
    As of yet I was totally unfamiliar with this score. I just put it on and - wow, this sounds gorgeous!

Volker
  7. It's one of Elfman's best. If you are itnerested, here's my personal list of "Best of" Elfman scores:

"Mission: Impossible"
    "Black Beauty"
    "Anywhere But Here"
    (only a sutie available on CD; most of the score was not used in the film, so there more to hear one day)
    "Edward Scissorhands"
    "Family Dog"
    (episode of "Amazing Adventures")

I probably forgot one or two. To lesser extents: "Batman" and "Spider-Man 1".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. To a much bigger extend: Batman!

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Game of Thrones Seasons 1, 2 and 3 ~ Ramin Djawadi

Excellent in many ways! I can't wait to hear what Mister Djawadi has in store for us in Season 4!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  9. Never quite understood the appeal of those scores outside of one or two good cues a season. By the time the show's over I'll be able to put together one CD's worth of highlights, but not until then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Da Vinci's Demons - Bear McCreary

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my word! This is gorgeous!
    It's insanely long (90 minutes!), but the mix of renaissance instruments, modern sound electronics and (quasi)religious chanting is absolutely spellbindingly beautiful!
    Yes, it's not overly original (having heard much the same in many a sixties score and, for example, Blueberry), but who cares? This is a great album!

I'm only a quarter in, but I doubt very seriously I can bring this album down to under an hour.
    ...or that I even would want to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Da Vinci's Demons - Bear McCreary

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my word! This is gorgeous!
    It's insanely long (90 minutes!), but the mix of renaissance instruments, modern sound electronics and (quasi)religious chanting is absolutely spellbindingly beautiful!
    Yes, it's not overly original (having heard much the same in many a sixties score and, for example, Blueberry), but who cares? This is a great album!

I'm only a quarter in, but I doubt very seriously I can bring this album down to under an hour.
    ...or that I even would want to.

I like it too, it's a very enjoyable listen and I've only heard it the once. I really look forward to playing it again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    .....nought on telly so.................

NP : DA VINCI'S DEMONS - Bear McCreary

Right off the first track, instantly good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHAME (Harry Escott/various)

The "Brandon" track is VERY Hans Zimmer-in-THIN RED LINE mode, so I can see why Steve McQueen went for the man himself in the upcoming 12 YEARS A SLAVE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    NP : THE WRONG BOX - John Barry

Hmmmmm?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE WRONG BOX - John Barry

Hmmmmm?

Not really a favourite.

NP : HAMMETT - John Barry

Much better!