• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yeah, listening to it now, it's one of those scores that has enough energy and a sense of fun to overcome how derivative it is. I think even by Tyler's standards it's one of his biggest and loudest scores, and it's more varied and ambitious than Iron Man 3 was. I like it too. smile
  2. Letting my big playlist of four- and five-star cues run. "The Bloody Shot" from Skyfall just finished, and you know, whatever problems I otherwise have with Newman's score, this really is a quite strong action cue. Brassy, propulsive, good integration of the Bond theme, and it contains what I believe to be the only reference to Adele's song (outside of "Komodo Dragon") at 1:47. It's in the ascending pairs of brass notes, and it took me about half a dozen listens to even realize it. So I'd say that it's probably my favorite cue from Newman's Bond outing, and if we really do have to keep him for the next one, hopefully he can push this kind of writing into an even ballsier direction that Bond deserves.

That said, the reason I came here to post this, is that the vagaries of iTunes Shuffle threw up "Miami International" directly afterwards. I believe the term is SCHOOLED. punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013
    Cocoon - James Horner

I've had an emotional day and this exceptional music is pushing me over the edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Romeo & Juliet Abel Korzeniowski

This has quickly become a top 3 score of 2013 for me. The second track, 'Forbidden Love', is far too emotional a track to have so near the start of the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor 2 - Brian Tyler

Like a really well-orchestrated Remote Control score. I have to say, I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    thor 2?

fuck thor!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Funnily enough I listened to it over the PA system at the Waldorf Astoria and it sounded even better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thor 2 - Brian Tyler

Like a really well-orchestrated Remote Control score. I have to say, I love it.

I agree with you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013 edited
    ^ I really hope this gets better because I'm utterly bored with the generic MV template sound of this score.... and I don't care how many live players performed it. The composing is dreck... so far. Every piece sounds like overblown trailer music. God, I hate this theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah to the power of beer

I really like Tyler, both the man and his music. But fuck that theme. It isn't new. A piece of software could write it if you input the instructions 'big, epic, hero', and I'm sick of hearing it. Everything else in the score may be enjoyable, but to be honest I'm not prepared to hear another version of that theme for the millionth time.
    soapbox wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Space Shuttle Columbia: Journey Of Hope - Blake Neely

My word! This is a lovely score!
    I haven't seen the film. I gather it's about a young astronaut from a family of Holocaust survivors,. who reaches for the stars.
    As such, I perfectly understand the title 'journey of hope', and so, apparently, does Neely: it's a beautiful score that strongly emphasises beauty and wonder by passionately blending darkly majestic (but nowhere overbearing) brass, deeply lyrical strings and clear, thematic piano lines throughout.
    The overall sense is one of wonder and hope. And the vast, majestic sense of reaching the stars.

I like this score. A lot.
    It punctuates, mostly, the positive. It reaches back into a kind of innocence, where we look up at the stars and just marvel at their beauty. And at the same time it touches on our more mature selves, addressing what it means to really strive for something. To overcome obstacles, small or massive, and to look ahead, and up.
    That's the feeling this score gives me.
    And to me that's quite the achievenent.

It's not a grand score. It won't go down as a Star Wars or a Gladiator.
    In fact, while very thematic, there's no real identifying theme.

Yet I think I will revisit this score often.
    Whenever I need to put some things into perspective. Or need remibding that there's a great deal of beauty in this world and beyond. This music succeeds in reaffirming that most admirably.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROMEO & JULIET - Abel Korzeniowski

This is just absolutely stunning! Wow!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Last Days On Mars - Max Richter

Very first listen and I haven't seen the movie but this sounds like a nice score so far ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I'm incredibly hesitant to try this, with Rota's masterwork in the back of my mind.
    Yes, I know, there's absolutely no reason at all not to accept this as a completely valid other take on a so oft remade work, but Rota's version is so definitive...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm incredibly hesitant to try this, with Rota's masterwork in the back of my mind.
    Yes, I know, there's absolutely no reason at all not to accept this as a completely valid other take on a so oft remade work, but Rota's version is so definitive...

This is so different I didn't even think of Rota's until your post here.

As for comparisons, best not compare any of them to Sergei Prokofiev's influential masterpiece.
  3. Michael Giacchino - La Luna

These Pixar short movies before their main releases are a beauty and this one boasts a beautiful score by Giacchino, one of my favourite of his if not THE favourite. The theme is just such a beauty smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    As for comparisons, best not compare any of them to Sergei Prokofiev's influential masterpiece.

I just did, and it's Rota with a knockout! :punch:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I just did, and it's Rota with a knockout! :punch:

Okay, I'll allow that....but only because I love Rota's gobsmackingly gorgeous score so much wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

NP: (In massive contrast to the much more esotheric and serious sound of the beautiful Journey Of Hope) CQ- Mellow

An excellent and very listener-friendly sound pastiche of the psychedelic pop-dominated soundtracks late sixties European semi-'relevant' science fiction flicks (that would usually star busty actresses that would generally be never heard of again...with some exceptions of course).

The film itself is a relatively minor send-up of said genre, witha bit of early Bond thrown in, but other than some mild amusement it is arguably not much better (or worse) than those films it tries to parody.
    But the music is a treat: psycho-poppy, over the top, and very enjoyable.
    I feel like doing the batusi!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol I could watch the batusi FOREVER and never get bored! cool

That album by CQ sounds like it's up my street.

( oh yes, forgot to mention that I really like that Blake Neely score )
  4. Martijn wrote
    NP: Space Shuttle Columbia: Journey Of Hope - Blake Neely

My word! This is a lovely score!
    I haven't seen the film. I gather it's about a young astronaut from a family of Holocaust survivors,. who reaches for the stars.
    As such, I perfectly understand the title 'journey of hope', and so, apparently, does Neely: it's a beautiful score that strongly emphasises beauty and wonder by passionately blending darkly majestic (but nowhere overbearing) brass, deeply lyrical strings and clear, thematic piano lines throughout.
    The overall sense is one of wonder and hope. And the vast, majestic sense of reaching the stars.

I like this score. A lot.
    It punctuates, mostly, the positive. It reaches back into a kind of innocence, where we look up at the stars and just marvel at their beauty. And at the same time it touches on our more mature selves, addressing what it means to really strive for something. To overcome obstacles, small or massive, and to look ahead, and up.
    That's the feeling this score gives me.
    And to me that's quite the achievenent.

It's not a grand score. It won't go down as a Star Wars or a Gladiator.
    In fact, while very thematic, there's no real identifying theme.

Yet I think I will revisit this score often.
    Whenever I need to put some things into perspective. Or need remibding that there's a great deal of beauty in this world and beyond. This music succeeds in reaffirming that most admirably.

Timmer wrote

Those are my two favorite scores of the year so far. Both of them are wonderful. It's mic to see Neely's score getting so more attention. I think it might be more consistently interesting than R&J.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW - Abel Korzeniowski

This is 21 minutes of excellence! one of my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Michael Giacchino - La Luna

These Pixar short movies before their main releases are a beauty and this one boasts a beautiful score by Giacchino, one of my favourite of his if not THE favourite. The theme is just such a beauty smile .

Are you sure you don't mean "La Lune" by Chris Tilton?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. No, I'm pretty sure Giacchino did that particular short. Unless Tilton ghostwrote it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    See the references here:

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/interview … hristilton
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discussion/438/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Today I am only playing good stuff...

NP : READY WHEN YOU ARE JB - John Barry

Not a soundtrack but a covers album, and what brilliant arrangements they are, all arranged and conducted by JB himself it includes OHMSS, Deadfall and an excellent jazzy arrangement of the Lion In Winter theme amongst others. Most notable for me though are the sublime tracks THE MORE THINGS CHANGE ( Nobody, including Barry expert Geoff Leonard knows the origin of this tune or if it was even written for a film? ) and WHO WILL BUY MY YESTERDAYS, a fleshed out version of the silkily erotic piece used in the Bond-beds-the-girls sequences at Piz Gloria in OHMSS.

A fabulous and easy 10/10 album. Brilliant!
  6. Timmer wrote
    Today I am only playing good stuff...

NP : READY WHEN YOU ARE JB - John Barry

Not a soundtrack but a covers album, and what brilliant arrangements they are, all arranged and conducted by JB himself it includes OHMSS, Deadfall and an excellent jazzy arrangement of the Lion In Winter theme amongst others. Most notable for me though are the sublime tracks THE MORE THINGS CHANGE ( Nobody, including Barry expert Geoff Leonard knows the origin of this tune or if it was even written for a film? ) and WHO WILL BUY MY YESTERDAYS, a fleshed out version of the silkily erotic piece used in the Bond-beds-the-girls sequences at Piz Gloria in OHMSS.

A fabulous and easy 10/10 album. Brilliant!

Tim, just in case you haven't heard yet, Howard Goodall is presenting a special "Saturday Night At The Movies" tonight on Classic FM dedicated to John Barry.

http://www.classicfm.com/radio/shows/sa … -november/
    http://www.classicfm.com/composers/barry/facts-gallery/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the reminder Alan beer

Tomorrow would have been John Barry's 80th and my Mums 86th sad

....and on a lighter note.

Always loved this...

When Barbra Streisand commissioned John Barry to write the music for her directorial debut, Prince of Tides , and then began to interfere with his score, Barry resigned, telling her, "You don’t buy a dog and do the barking yourself." When she replied that she adored all of his scores, he replied, “Yup. And I wrote them all without you.”

cool

7. Aha. That's confusing. But I went to the trusty ol' IMDB and I think I've straightened everything out. Tilton did indeed write music for a short called La lune in 2008, which is completely different to Pixar's La luna, scored by Michael Giacchino.

So the apprentice scored a short several years before his master scored a much bigger and better-known short by an almost identical name.

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    And they're both 7 minutes long.

The Tilton piece is pretty fantastic, I've never actually heard the Giacchino one.