• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Today I am only playing good stuff...

NP : READY WHEN YOU ARE JB - John Barry

Not a soundtrack but a covers album, and what brilliant arrangements they are, all arranged and conducted by JB himself it includes OHMSS, Deadfall and an excellent jazzy arrangement of the Lion In Winter theme amongst others. Most notable for me though are the sublime tracks THE MORE THINGS CHANGE ( Nobody, including Barry expert Geoff Leonard knows the origin of this tune or if it was even written for a film? ) and WHO WILL BUY MY YESTERDAYS, a fleshed out version of the silkily erotic piece used in the Bond-beds-the-girls sequences at Piz Gloria in OHMSS.

A fabulous and easy 10/10 album. Brilliant!

In fact this is so darned good I'm playing it again right now! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Nice Tim!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    NP: THE FIRST GRADER (Alex Heffes)

This is a really fine score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2013
    I never need much excuse to play something by John Barry except that today would have been his 80th birthday. beer sad

I will celebrate his birthday with the greatest Bond score written....

NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

As infamous film critic Pauline Keal called it 'sheer idiots delight' cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Thor 2 - terrible noisy heartless score
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    GRAVITY | steven price

A lot of the music is not so interesting but it adds a lot having seen the film. Of course, the last couple of tracks, and the aggressive music for the explosions and action in the movie are the best part. It's a bit odd that the latter is very recognizable and quite present for the movie, but the finale tracks are rather generic compared to the rest. But it's the generic kind that is quite addictive. Perhaps I make no sense.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Now you're talking gibberish Bregt ! biggrin wink
    No , like I said before somewhere above , the music is effective in the movie but it's a hard listen for me personally as an album . I think the last two track are the best of the album , generic yes but the most
    listenable ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : More Music from Braveheart - James Horner

Most of the Horner tracks are the same as on the original album release , just a few were unreleased .
    In addition you get dialogue excerpts from the movie and some traditional music and I love it !
    Ok true , you don’t get a whole lot of new music from Horner , but what you do get certainly adds to the enjoyment of the film itself . If you're in a Braveheart mood , give this one a spin ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE IRON LADY (Thomas Newman)

It has some excellent tracks, but also some rather non-descript ones. I haven't quite made up my mind on this yet.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Nosso Lar - Philip Glass

Listening to a few favourite tracks from this Glass score from 2010. "Sombra" is a highlight: in a way typical Glass but different...with its ostinato basis but with interesting orchestral variations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. A lovely opening cue to a recent and unreleased Christopher Young score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btx90UpvWYQ
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Gaah! The four chords! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013
    suicide
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLOWERS OF WAR (Qigang Chen)

What a gorgeous score this is! Parts of it remind me of Fenton's ANNA & THE KING.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Mutiny On The Bounty - Bronislau Kaper

Just the film recordings rather than the comprehensive 4 hours FSM release! The choice to have the Tahitian music left in with the orchestral tracks (some of the two types do merge into one another) gives a good narrative of the film itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thor wrote

What a gorgeous score this is! Parts of it remind me of Fenton's ANNA & THE KING.

My God, I'm well into this now and the choral writing, man, THE CHORAL WRITING! This must have been one of the best scores of 2011!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Babylon 5: In The Beginning - Christopher Franke

It surprises me why I return to Franke's music for Babylon 5. I don't find it particularly interesting - save for the main title theme - but the show was excellent and perhaps that's why I keep giving his music for this TV show a chance.
  8. I have the original two CDs they released back in the 90s. I revisit them on occasion but I never felt I needed anything more from that music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Thor wrote
    Thor wrote

My God, I'm well into this now and the choral writing, man, THE CHORAL WRITING! This must have been one of the best scores of 2011!

YES!! The choral writing in that score is breathtakingly beautiful. It's a great score, but sadly little spoken of.
  10. Just finished CAPTAIN PHILLIPS by Henry Jackman. I don't imagine I'll be returning to that score.

Now on HAMMER OF THE GODS by Benjamin Wallfisch. I don't imagine I'll be finishing this score...
  11. christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thor wrote

YES!! The choral writing in that score is breathtakingly beautiful. It's a great score, but sadly little spoken of.

Has either Hans Zimmer or James Horner had any involvement in this score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...no, why?
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Their involvement would have guaranteed copious amounts of comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, that. Zimmer, sure, but is Horner that much talked about here?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013 edited
    Horner is talked about plenty compared to most composers.

As for Hans, If Zimmer were a genius knocking out great scores one after another there wouldn't be anywhere near as much talk, he divides opinions. Look at THE LONE RANGER, most here quite liked it ( including myself ) and chat about that one died down very quickly, same with RUSH. MAN OF STEEL on the other hand.....need I say more.
  13. I happen to just be listening to Rush.

It's one stunner of a score! One of Zimmer's best.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013 edited
    ^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    James Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

His best since Inception!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

His best since Inception!

True! biggrin