• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    Fuck The Lion King.
  1. So John William's Amistad and Paul Simon's Graceland are also not to your liking Timmer? Do you prefer Barry's Out of Africa (Stupid question, I know. wink ) that does not give any hint as to where the film is taking place?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven wrote
    Fuck The Lion King.

Stronger a recommendation I could not imagine. wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    So John William's Amistad and Paul Simon's Graceland are also not to your liking Timmer? Do you prefer Barry's Out of Africa (Stupid question, I know. wink ) that does not give any hint as to where the film is taking place?

Volker

Timmer wrote
    I just don't enjoy Hans Zimmer's version of clichéd African music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Fuck The Lion King.

Stronger a recommendation I could not imagine. wink biggrin

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Do you prefer Barry's Out of Africa (Stupid question, I know. wink )

Very! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Steven wrote
    Fuck The Lion King.

Nala took note.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I should probably reword my original statement to make my opinion a little clearer:

Screw The Lion King.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    So John William's Amistad and Paul Simon's Graceland are also not to your liking Timmer? Do you prefer Barry's Out of Africa (Stupid question, I know. wink ) that does not give any hint as to where the film is taking place?

Volker

Timmer wrote
    I just don't enjoy Hans Zimmer's version of clichéd African music.

And I'll point out again. At that point using African vocals to that extent was in no way a cliche at all. In fact, especially for animation, it was quite a new thing. Hans was hired based on The Power of One (that's why they wanted Lebo M.) and it was not his first endeavour into South Africa.

You can argue that sometimes the orchestrations are off and I would agree with that. Or that there's a lot of sentimentalism to it (though, I have to say, the most dramatic scene in the film is actually one of the most restrained pieces of his career), but I completely disagree on the cliche bit. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Whatever! I still don't like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry Pawel, that comes over as a bit rude. I see your point but it will never win me over.
  5. Well, I have a funny relationship with that score, because it actually WAS my first soundtrack that I ever got. And I DID listen to the score way more than to the songs when I was a little kid (ironically, it never made me spark any interest into classical music at that point), but I do see its flaws.

This set is to me a rediscovery, to be honest, because there is so much raw material in it (and quite raw, while at that, one of its flaws from a purely musical perspective, I haste to add), but I don't have as much personal attachment to the scores I started with as I guess I should have. For example I don't think there is a score that lost so much in my eyes (ears?) as The Rock, which started my passion for cinema and film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Am I allowed to say that I can't stand Elton's songs and I don't like Zimmer's clichéd African score?

I find it mawkish and sickly on the whole.

You're allowed to say it, but you would be wrong! tongue

Elton's songs are some of my most personal favourite songs of all time, and the score is just fabulous (Zimmer is never better than when he's able to operate with ethnic elements, and this is evident in FULL FORCE in this one).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Oh to have that 1994 Zimmer back... TLK plus Beyond Rangoon, two of the best Americanized ethnic musical works of all time. IMHO. Too bad he never trained any of his underlings to write that way. Well, Mancina has moments of brilliants in that vein but never a whole score with that level of quality and creativity and emotional resonance. I guess most movies don't ask for such heart-on-sleeve passion anyway...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Too bad he never trained any of his underlings to write that way.

*cough* *cough* John Powell *cough* *cough* Harry Gregson Williams *cough* *cough*
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Well, I think Matt is talking about an extremely specific sort of ethnic woodwind-led lyricism that Beyond Rangoon and The Lion King share. I don't think either Powell or HGW, for all their strengths, have written anything quite in that vein. Mancina's Return to Paradise, on the other hand, clearly leans on Beyond Rangoon in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well, I think Matt is talking about an extremely specific sort of ethnic woodwind-led lyricism that Beyond Rangoon and The Lion King share. I don't think either Powell or HGW, for all their strengths, have written anything quite in that vein. Mancina's Return to Paradise, on the other hand, clearly leans on Beyond Rangoon in particular.

Exactly what I meant...sorry I wasn't more clear. Return to Paradise is exactly the best other example of that style I'm looking for. But it's significantly more subdued than Lion King or Beyond Rangoon.
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well, I think Matt is talking about an extremely specific sort of ethnic woodwind-led lyricism that Beyond Rangoon and The Lion King share. I don't think either Powell or HGW, for all their strengths, have written anything quite in that vein. Mancina's Return to Paradise, on the other hand, clearly leans on Beyond Rangoon in particular.

I'll have to listen to Return to Paradise, I never did!

Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Exactly what I meant...sorry I wasn't more clear. Return to Paradise is exactly the best other example of that style I'm looking for. But it's significantly more subdued than Lion King or Beyond Rangoon.

I believe that Beyond Rangoon is quite a subdued score which is a lot of its strength, but of course we may understand "subdued" differently in this context.

Tim, Tears of the Sun is on Spotify. I wonder what you would think of that one smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited
    By subdued, I just meant there are less sweeping melodic passages like the main themes to Beyond Rangoon or The Lion King. There's a beautiful main theme, but it's pretty soft and melancholy if I remember correctly.
  8. Ah, right smile . Because while it has "big" moments, Beyond Rangoon to me is above all a very restrained (though sweepingly melodic) effort. It's what I call an "intimate epic", more about the inner journey than the whole turmoil around the character smile .
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski
    Tim, Tears of the Sun is on Spotify. I wonder what you would think of that one

Not in the UK it isn't.

I listened to the one track represented on the 30th Anniversary Varese Sarabande set, a lengthy cue of about 8+ minutes called The Journey/Kapano Part 3, it was nice and pleasant enough but if it is representative of a lot of the score then I doubt it'll do that much for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski

Not in the UK it isn't.

I listened to the one track represented on the 30th Anniversary Varese Sarabande set, a lengthy cue of about 8+ minutes called The Journey/Kapano Part 3, it was nice and pleasant enough but if it is representative of a lot of the score then I doubt it'll do that much for me.

Tears of the Sun is fantastic and the highlight cue is "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/ Cameroon Border Post" It'll blow your socks off!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

There's a big difference between having the ability and not having written a score in that vein... yet. Matt seems to think that none of the RC composers, other that Zimmer, is a capable of writing in a Lion King or Beyond Rangoon style. BTW, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, Matt. I just think your wording was a little off the mark.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski

Not in the UK it isn't.

Tears of the Sun is fantastic and the highlight cue is "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/ Cameroon Border Post" It'll blow your socks off!

-Erik-

Loud and pounding doesn't necessarily equal "it'll blow your socks off" for me. It's good but it didn't blow me away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Too bad... I think it's an exceptional composed (arranged) piece of music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't think involving African voices (arranged by a South African, to that) to that extent was so cliche at that point. What do you think of Tears of the Sun, Tim?

I don't know Tears of The Sun beyond one track on one of the Varese compilations.

Shame cause that is a fantastic score. I like It even more than lion king . And yes African vocals and African musical elements weren't that clichéd back then. And it was all kinda Zimmer's thing back then. Very distinct sound.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Too bad... I think it's an exceptional composed (arranged) piece of music.

-Erik-

Yeah. It's an African version of the thin red line in many ways and an exceptional score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't think involving African voices (arranged by a South African, to that) to that extent was so cliche at that point. What do you think of Tears of the Sun, Tim?

I don't know Tears of The Sun beyond one track on one of the Varese compilations.

Shame cause that is a fantastic score. I like It even more than lion king . And yes African vocals and African musical elements weren't that clichéd back then. And it was all kinda Zimmer's thing back then. Very distinct sound.

Yeah, A World Apart (electronic and not involving African vocals to a big extent, though having some) and The Power of One were one of the style-shapers for Hans.
  10. A World Apart love