• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    I kinda wish I hadn't pointed it out.
    I kinda wish I hadn't clicked.

Yeah. I'm squeamish.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014 edited
    It's okay, I'm sure the surgeon knows what he's doing.
  1. My review of INTERSTELLAR, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/11/22/inter … ns-zimmer/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of INTERSTELLAR, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/11/22/inter … ns-zimmer/

Jon

This is pretty much the most positive review of a Hans Zimmer score I've ever read from you. I still have to noodle it through to form my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014 edited
    Sorry I haven't been around for a few days to have more popcorn-worthy fights with Steven, but after reading the previous page I must confess I am still completely confused by the reasoning that goes, "states of consciousness can be dramatically altered by changes in brain function, therefore consciousness is likely to be nothing but a product of brain function". I don't see why the two should be so inextricably linked. I apologize if I am misunderstanding this reasoning but let me give you an example that demonstrates how I see it.

Let's say I have a fancy stereo receiver/amplifier that has a ton of different effect boards for musicians to play with. I can hook my CD player up to the stereo receiver/amplifier and choose to royally jack up the sound of the music through the use of audio effects. I can make a beautiful, pristinely recorded classical piece sound like the wailing of demons with a few choice sound filters. I can make the music completely unrecognizable. I could even *gasp* make the music stop playing! But none of these alterations in any way imply that the receiver/amplifier is the source of the music. The CD player is the original source of the music, no matter how much power the receiver might have over the end user's experience.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. This sounds a bit like Karl Popper's "Three-World-quasi-dualism". " The self plays on the brain, like a pianist plays on a piano."

popcorn
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    Popper evidently must have been very drunk at the time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Matt, I'm having some trouble translating your analogy. You introduce a source (CD player), a product (music), a modifier (amplifier) and a result (end user experience).
    How do these translate, in your example, to brain and consciousness?
  3. The brain may be the medium of the mind/spirit/self/consciousness not the ultimate source.

An no, Popper was not drunk. The "Three-World-Theory" is the core of his epistemology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    The brain may be the medium of the mind/spirit/self/consciousness not the ultimate source.

And it may not be.
    I still don't get the analogy. If I translate the source/CD player as the brain, it then supports Steven's point.
    But even then I find no proper 'translation' for the actual product (the music).

An no, Popper was not drunk. The "Three-World-Theory" is the core of his epistemology.

I would say his critical rationalism is (for which much of science, and especially Law, should be appropriately thankful). The three world theory is not much more than a philosophical "afterthought" and not really appropriate to metaphysical concepts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Come, mister tally man, tally me banana
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    ...popcorn-worthy fights with Steven...

News to me! Had I realised I was in a fight, I might have used more colourful language.

"states of consciousness can be dramatically altered by changes in brain function, therefore consciousness is likely to be nothing but a product of brain function"

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mind the deadly black tarantula!
  4. You halucinate. I told you not to stick electrical wires into your ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's an interesting thought about data. We copy files every day, yet we generally don't think of an MP3 as being intrinsically unique when we transfer it from each of our devices. Could the same be said of consciousness were we able to copy, 'teleport', every detail to the quantum level of the brain and body? In fact, is this really much different to experiencing the flow of time? We are not the same person we were even a few moments ago, and our atoms literally get replaced as the years go on. None of this proves the argument one way or another, I just thought it was a very interesting thought! smile (Whether it came from my brain or ectoplasm.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And, er... Something something Hans Zimmer.... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    At the risk of geeking this thread out even more than it already has been, that's a thought that occurred to me when watching Star Trek: does the transporter destroy the original and create an exact copy? Or somehow rebuild the transportee from the exact same atoms. And does it matter, as long as you don't feel the difference? (I.e. When the copy is 100% the same as the original is/was?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh. And yeah. Zimmer.
    He is really important.
    With music and stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly. Does the "original" person's awareness (whatever the hell that is) continue, or does it stop and new but identical awareness appear? Do you die if you go into a transporter? (Even if you're not wearing a red shirt.)
  5. Lawrence M. Krauss discusses the metaphysical implications of the ST transporter in his very fine book "The Physics of Star Trek".
  6. Who is this Hans Zimmer guy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Lawrence M. Krauss discusses the metaphysical implications of the ST transporter in his very fine book "The Physics of Star Trek".

Not read that one, but I've been meaning to for a while. beer (I greatly enjoyed his HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL LIFE HAS NO MEANING ATHEISTS RAPE PEOPLE A Universe From Nothing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never heard of the good man. Looks like worthwhile reading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's quite active in the anti-religion 'movement', although he never used to be until after his Nothing book as far as I know. He's an entertaining communicator of science, for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    He's quite active in the anti-religion 'movement', although he never used to be until after his Nothing book as far as I know. He's an entertaining communicator of science, for sure.

Really? Hans Zimmer??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh yes! Why do you think he gave such a shit score to The Bible series?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed. I should have worked that out myself rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I never thought I would hear myself say this but can we get back to talking about Hans Zimmer!?

Not long back from seeing Interstellar and what an average film that was. Far too long and Zimmer's score was at best supportive to the plot and, at its worst, way too intrusive.

There is a good 40 minutes album to be had - the ostinato parts and the huge organ - but it's as a stand alone listen only.

The Imitation Game is a much better film by a mile, thought Desplat's score only really makes an impression a couple of times.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm curious about THE IMITATION GAME, especially because it's the Hollywood debut of Norwegian director Morten Tyldum. I didn't care much for Desplat's score, though (no surprise there), so I'm hoping the film is better than its music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Guys, stay on topic. rolleyes