• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014 edited
    I thought NDE has been recreated by neurologists by adding some electrodes to some part of the brain. The persons experienced exactly what the NDE patients talk about after they come back, including the step-out-of-the-body stories. It's all in the brain.. Everything's there. It's awesome.

We Are Our Brains, a somewhat anecdotal book written by brain scienist Dick Swaab talks about this. It also tells about how sexual orientation is structured in the brain, why pregnancy is core to how a child will behave later on... Fascinating!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014
    Also, Interstellar is awesome. It tickles my brain.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As someone who believes in spirituality, I don't believe the human consciousness ends with the biological brain. But it's certainly intriguing to explore how it works on that level. I just wanted to say that. I have nothing profound to add to the discussion.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote
    I thought NDE has been recreated by neurologists by adding some electrodes to some part of the brain. The persons experienced exactly what the NDE patients talk about after they come back, including the step-out-of-the-body stories. (...)

That is correct. Also what people "see" seems to be determined by cultural influences. The "tunnel of light" a la Hieronimus Bosch for example is a western speciality.
    Still there are some well documented cases of NDE that cannot be explained that way. NDE seldom results in knowledge that suggests the reality of reincarnation. Rather the patient knows details of of the surgery he underwent, or about thinks that happened around him or at the place of the accident. But none of this can be accepted as proof of the paranormal or metaphysical or transcendental because other explanations are possible.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Also what people "see" seems to be determined by cultural influences. The "tunnel of light" a la Hieronimus Bosch for example is a western speciality.

That is only partially correct: the "tunnel of light" has been described throughout cultures and times (and has some interesting and quite reasonable physiological explanations).
    What differs throughout cultures is the identity of the "figure at the end of the tunnel" (another prototypical NDE aspect) : in India, for example, often a swami is seen, rather than Jesus as is common in the West.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Also what people "see" seems to be determined by cultural influences. The "tunnel of light" a la Hieronimus Bosch for example is a western speciality.

That is only partially correct: the "tunnel of light" has been described throughout cultures and times (and has some interesting and quite reasonable physiological explanations).
    What differs throughout cultures is the identity of the "figure at the end of the tunnel" (another prototypical NDE aspect) : in India, for example, often a swami is seen, rather than Jesus as is common in the West.

Thanks Martijn! Now that you mention it I remember to have read about that aspect too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Here's the track that is not on any of the soundtracks I think. One of the most tense moments of the film; The Docking Scene. Never does the organ sound as big and spectacular as this (except for perhaps Mountains). Attention for some minor spoilers because it's just a recording of the movie sound (not images).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrt-L_9L3FI

Terrible sound though. But what a pity this track is not on the cd. So much aggression and doom!!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why you interrupt interesting discussion with noisy sounds? angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sorry. My brain is out there somewhere but I'm here in this dark tunnel somehow. I certainly strayed off topic here because I cannot see well.

Thor. Where is my conscience at this point in space and time?
    Kazoo
  3. Conscience?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. For what it's worth, I believe that these NDE events are an indication of how complex the brain is and how the perception of people can be affected when the brain is stressed. I don't doubt that people believe what they remember happened to them did happen but I don't accept that what they think happened was the "truth".

There are numerous examples of how our senses and brain are able to trick us into seeing different "truths" and I think that these NDEs is an extreme example of this. If someone who has lost a leg, but were unaware at that time that they had lost it, was experiencing the sensation of phantom limb or pain then they believe that the lost limb is still in place. But it is not. Their brain is trying to process the various signals coming to it. I think that the NDE is similar to this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't know Pawel!? That's the worst thing. I don't know where it has gone to.

Off topic again, regarding the docking scene, Hybrid Soldier just got a message from Zimmer himself:
    "We are going to give it away for free...We are just waiting on some additional clearances. But the record company is totally into it. Plus, they are working really hard to make the "Lightbox" available everywhere. It's quite complicated."

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?ru … mp;id=1256
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    The many testimonies of NDE survivors suggest exactly what you are saying there is "nothing" to suggest.

My thinking about the mere possibility that consciousness exists in some other realm serves as a suggestion in itself, as does my ponderance that gnomes are stealing odd socks - but neither serve as particularly convincing arguments for their veracity.

It is true that the peculiarity of NDE experiences appears to suggest an other-worldly realm to consciousness. But often when the evidence is scrutinised, and hearsay is given less credence, the idea begins to lose water. Perhaps I should have chosen my words a little more carefully, instead opting for 'There is no convincing proof that consciousness is immaterial, or 'beyond' the brain.'

Some of these were people whose brains were completely incapable of experiencing anything whatsoever at the time

Unsurprisingly I am unmoved by your anecdote. Show me the evidence, its ability to withstand serious scientific scrutiny, as well as collecting your $1million from James Randi, and I will happily concede that consciousness really does exist separate from brains.

And there is a similar vast body of evidence on the topics of reincarnation

There's vast bodies of evidence for magical fairies too, though none of it is particularly convincing.

Yes, I know these personal testimonies are not admissible as scientific evidence

Personal testimonies serve as evidence for such experiences, but they do not reliably inform us about where these experiences come from -aside from the experiencer of the experiences- or why they appear.

(the scientific method by its very nature makes it completely impossible to study certain things, leaving it in a way quite flawed, giving it a giant "blind spot" if you will, but that's another discussion).

Unfalsifiability makes it impossible to study certain pseudoscientific claims. This is just "Special Pleading", a logical fallacy. Quite ridiculous.

These aren't people who read something crazy in a book and decided to believe it, or who were brainwashed in childhood to believe it. These are people who experienced something. They were there.

I don't doubt they have had such experiences, I'm merely skeptical on extrapolating claims about the nature of reality based on personal experiences, particularly when there are known scientific explanations that better explain them, and particularly when their claims tend to reflect the culture they were brought up in.

And if they are telling the truth, their experiences make it impossible for consciousness to be merely a product of the brain.

No, it just means they have brains capable of having these experiences as well as experiencing faulty recollection (memory is not as reliable as you might think).

I don't expect you to believe one or all of many NDE testimonies, but I really don't like when the experiences of thousands of people are called "nothing". Sorry if I was or am being rude though. I don't mean to but I'm kind of Aspergers-ish and bad at arguing.

I certainly don't call their experiences 'nothing', I think their experiences are very real and worth studying. There just happens to be no convincing evidence that suggest these experiences exist outside of brains, regardless of how sure you, or indeed those who have had the experiences, are. Conviction is not evidence, nor is their apparent sensitivity to counterclaims and rationality.

I can only recommend reading a few books on neuroscience, particularly anything by Bruce Hood, and it will become readily apparent just how reliant we are on how our brains operate, and how easily the rug can be pulled from under us.

I'll leave this on a relevant quote by Alberto Brandolini: "The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." (But sometimes it is fun.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That said, I do think Interstellar is out of this world.

And with that, I will collect my coat.
  5. Don't forget to buy beer for later, will you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
    Short 'documentary' about the score with interviews with Nolan and Zimmer
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … usive.html
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt wrote
    Short 'documentary' about the score with interviews with Nolan and Zimmer
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … usive.html

It's a good little documentary. It sort of highlights what I like about the score: the ostinato patterns and the grand sound of that huge organ. (No smut please!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014 edited
    Good job punching those straw men Steven. It's pretty much what I expected. A really nice touch was stepping back from your original assertion of "no suggestion" while pretending to still be standing on the same ground. And yes, ad hominem smile I find it less problematic than the mocking you are doing.

Steven wrote
    I'll leave this on a relevant quote by Alberto Brandolini: "The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." (But sometimes it is fun.)

Yeah, and I don't have enough energy to respond point by point to all the absurd things you just wrote. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have started this, it just drives me crazy when people throw out of unsupportable pseudoscience babble about what they think science has proven about consciousness and the brain.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    I thought NDE has been recreated by neurologists by adding some electrodes to some part of the brain. The persons experienced exactly what the NDE patients talk about after they come back, including the step-out-of-the-body stories. It's all in the brain.. Everything's there. It's awesome.

We Are Our Brains, a somewhat anecdotal book written by brain scienist Dick Swaab talks about this. It also tells about how sexual orientation is structured in the brain, why pregnancy is core to how a child will behave later on... Fascinating!

#1) This recreates a few small aspects of an NDE. It does not come anywhere close to giving people the "full", mind-blowing, life-changing NDE experience.

#2) Even if it did, this does not indicate whether consciousness is a product of the brain either way. I see the brain not as a generator of consciousness but as a filter / focusing device. These experiments could just as easily be interpreted as the scientist temporarily disabling the part of the brain that normally filters out the full experience of cosmic reality (which would also be why the most startling NDEs seem to happen with the most completely damaged/disabled brains).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    it just drives me crazy when people throw out of unsupportable pseudoscience babble about what they think science has proven about consciousness and the brain.

lol

I think you could cut the irony of this statement with a knife. Fantastic. applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm not the one making ridiculous unsupportable statements about how there is nothing in the entire world to suggest an idea that the vast majority of scientists would admit is something we just don't know. I'm advocating open-mindedness and you mock it by relating to stories about fairies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of the first things I will admit, and will continue to admit my dear, is we just don't know - a point you may have glossed over with your sensitivity to rational thought. The difference between you and me is I'm comfortable not knowing, and I like to think I won't cling to the first explanation that simply feels nice or intuitive. I'm led by the evidence, where the most likely explanations fit. Science is not absolute, but we can use scientific rationales to reach the most reasonable conclusions given the information we currently have. I have repeatedly admitted that there could be a 'spiritual realm' (using Thor's definition of the word) to consciousness and experience, and if it's true then it should be discoverable using scientific methods, and that would be a wonderful thing. But as you have quite rightly pointed out, we just don't know. Not only do we not know, but as well its likelihood, its chance of being true to any reasonable degree given what we do know, is weakly supported once you jetison your personal biases and look at the evidence. That could of course change if evidence was found to the contrary, and I look forward to the day this might happen. Nor will its discovery make anything I've said any less relevant. But until that day, it's all just conjecture. [Note how this is utterly un-dogmatic, I'm not blindly asserting the opposite to your hypothesis based on an appeal to emotion, no matter how loudly or how many times you repeat this implication.]

Of course I don't imagine any of this will get through. Unfortunately people like yourself don't like to be told that an idea that gives them comfort is unsubstantiated and, worse, possibly false, which is why honest scientific rationales are seen as being 'arrogant'. But that's simply not true. You've clearly already made your mind up, and anything that appears to support your hypotheses will be viewed through that lens. Confirmation bias gets us all, unfortunately. All I can really ask is you show me convincing evidence, evidence that stands up to scrutiny, and I'll believe anything (for all practical intents and purposes).

I know I shoudnt take the bait, but Christ it's just so much fun. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe, it is not because scientists don't know that it will never be known or should get a "paranormal" explanation. My example was just to show that a NDE is clearly something the brain creates. Neurologists don't admit they don't know. They're looking for an answer and what has been written above, also by Martijn, are examples of recreating NDE or how the effect is culturaly bound, and thus something human. The fact that it has a huge impact on people, and changes their lives, is not a reason so see it as paranormal or beyond this body.

There's numerous examples about people experiencing unbelievable things because of anomalies or products that affect the brain. I read a very cool book about it some years ago but I forgot the name and author, great. Another cool one is "We Are Our Brains" by Dr. Swaan.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that even though the brain is still a mysterious part of our bodies, but it doesn't mean there should be something out of this world about it. I don't think Steven's way of expressing his point is as neat as it could've been in this case but on the subject I agree, and for me, and I think also Steven, it just sounds weird to believe there's something beyond the brain. SO I also can understand where he is coming from.

Also, what do you think of Interstellar Matt? Not joking here! smile

EDIT: Ok, what Steven said. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Of course I don't imagine any of this will get through. Unfortunately people like yourself don't like to be told that an idea that gives them comfort is unsubstantiated and, worse, possibly false, which is why honest scientific rationales are seen as being 'arrogant'. But that's simply not true. You've clearly already made your mind up, and anything that appears to support your hypotheses will be viewed through that lens. Confirmation bias gets us all, unfortunately. All I can really ask is you show me convincing evidence, evidence that stands up to scrutiny, and I'll believe anything (for all practical intents and purposes).

You obviously don't understand the type of person I actually am, but that's my fault for being poor with communication, especially when subjects I'm passionate about are concerned. I'm an INFP in Myers-Briggs and "we" tend to go into senseless-rant mode when challenged, and fail to fully explain our point of view. Now that you are being a bit more mild with your statements, I have no problem with anything you are saying. Maybe you can see how the statement (I paraphrase) "there is nothing suggesting that consciousness is anything but a product of the brain" might seem a little dogmatic at first blush. I think the ideas I mentioned (NDEs etc) suggest that consciousness might live outside the brain. I certainly don't accept this as dogmatic fact, believe it has been scientifically proven, or expect anyone else to think that. It's a clue. It's a little hint. It definitely qualifies as a 'suggestion', I think. But I don't claim any of these things to be facts, or proven, or anything like that. I readily admit all these phenomena could be nothing more than a product of the brain and I have nothing against anyone who believes that. The rational scientific non-paranormal explanation is, I admit, a likely one.

beer (if you're not wanting to strangle me)

Steven wrote
    I have repeatedly admitted that there could be a 'spiritual realm' (using Thor's definition of the word) to consciousness and experience, and if it's true then it should be discoverable using scientific methods, and that would be a wonderful thing.

Yes, it should be discoverable, but what if...

-this is a "virtual" reality* that is specifically designed to have its virtualness difficult to discover and impossible to prove?

-what if this is a reality whose guiding parameters/programming are set up to act out people's confirmation bias, thus refusing to present paranormal phenomena to people disinclined to believe in them, and vice versa?

I realize you could put those questions under the same category as "what if there is a giant pasta deity orbiting Saturn", but I submit that they are rather more useful questions than the latter, with potential answers that fit into a cosmology that makes sense and provides hope, thus making them worth exploring more than the flying spaghetti monster, or even a deity that gets off on punishing people who get off. I like to dream about the best possible interpretation for everything we know about the world. If I get upset when more mundane worldviews are seemingly put forth as dogma, it's because I'm lonely for other such dreamers.

*by virtual reality I simply mean one whose permanence is less than the level of reality from which we come into this one...one that can be reloaded over and over again like a video game with no cost to anyone's true self.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    Anyhow, I just wanted to say that even though the brain is still a mysterious part of our bodies, but it doesn't mean there should be something out of this world about it. I don't think Steven's way of expressing his point is as neat as it could've been in this case but on the subject I agree, and for me, and I think also Steven, it just sounds weird to believe there's something beyond the brain. SO I also can understand where he is coming from.

For me, it's weird to believe that there isn't, but I recognize the bias that gives me, and try to take that bias into consideration, try to remain objective. Obviously I often fail. But at least I'm slightly more objective than I was during my fundamentalist church-ian days.

Also, to believe that there's not something beyond the brain is just depressing to me. Because my most passionate dreams and desires for the future are for things that cannot exist on this planet at this time. And I have (actual, when asleep) dreams that outperform every single last waking experience for happiness, pleasure, bliss, however you want to put it. It only makes sense to believe those better-than-real experiences are my brain traveling to another dimension / multiverse / etc. If those things aren't real anywhere and never will be, well, what's the point? Of me, of my heart, of love?

Bregt wrote
    Also, what do you think of Interstellar Matt? Not joking here! smile

I enjoyed it. The IMAX theater was too loud for my ears, the dialogue was so poorly mixed I missed several major plot points, and I possibly had too much popcorn so I wasn't in top shape for the climax but I would really like to watch it again in better circumstances. The ocean planet was probably my favorite part because I love good renditions of what other planets might be like (I didn't find the ice cloud planet very convincing). I was expecting to love the climax because I was really moved by the relationship between Cooper and his daughter, but the whole quantum-travelling-by-the-power-of-love thing stole a major note from the wonderful, sublime Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons, where it was done much more powerfully in my opinion. That being said, I love the idea by itself, and it fits well with my general worldview, although I do prefer to think there are benevolent higher powers / "aliens" who are not "just us from the future" because the latter doesn't really make sense to me given the lack of prime causality. If Cooper came back from the future to tell Cooper to go to NASA, what actually started that whole sequence of events?

For the sake of on-topic-ness, Zimmer's score was way too loud sometimes. The score itself is gorgeous but needs time to grow on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
    Also, I think Chris Nolan would consider this discussion a victory on his film's part smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I sent him a letter about it, but he didn't reply. I'm sure he will though. (I wrote it in my own blood, so I'm sure he'll understand the urgency and reply in due time.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Do you and David OC have some kind of thing going on ? slant
  7. I enjoyed the discussion that has taken place here although I did not contribute much to it. I'd like to state that I am with Steven and Bregt insofar as I don't believe that consciousness can exist ouside the brain. Yet I do believe that the human mind transcends the realm of pure matter. Without getting further into this I just would like to drop the keyword "theory of emergence" and maybe even "pantheism" to hint the direction of my own thoughts.
    Thanks, Scribe, Steven and Bregt. I don't know any other board where a discussion such as this would occur.

smile Volker