• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    New score CD coming from Varese -

THE FOURTH KIND
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Atli Örvarsson

In 1972, a scale of measurement was established for alien encounters. When a UFO is sighted, it is called an encounter of the first kind. When evidence is collected, it is known as an encounter of the second kind. When contact is made with extraterrestrials, it is the third kind. The next level, abduction, is the fourth kind. This encounter has been the most difficult to document … until now.

Structured unlike any film before it, THE FOURTH KIND is a provocative thriller set in modern-day Nome, Alaska, where — mysteriously since the 1960s — a disproportionate number of the population has been reported missing every year. Despite multiple FBI investigations of the region, the truth has never been discovered.

Here in this remote region, psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler (Milla Jovovich) began videotaping sessions with traumatized patients and unwittingly discovered some of the most disturbing evidence of alien abduction ever documented.

Using never-before-seen archival footage that is integrated into the film, THE FOURTH KIND exposes the terrified revelations of multiple witnesses. Their accounts of being visited by alien figures all share disturbingly identical details, the validity of which is investigated throughout the film.

The thrilling and supernatural score is by Atli Örvarsson.

Universal Pictures will open THE FOURTH KIND nationwide on November 6.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 995 2
    Release Date: 11/17/09
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    What´s a "supernatural" score? dizzy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I saw the trailer, I can't possibly begin to imagine anything remotely good about the music after I saw what the movie's going to be like. Effective yes, but interesting / enjoyable....?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film looks crap.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, I reckon it's going to be passable, movie and score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    THE FOURTH KIND

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … -Kind.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "The thrilling and supernatural score is by Atli Örvarsson."

Can someone explain and define musically to me what the fuck "supernatural" music sounds like? Seriously, the crap Varese uses to promote their scores is 99% ridiculous. Who writes this stuff? A company as big and important to the genre as them, should REALLY get someone serious and with musical knowledge to describe their upcoming releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A mini-review with an actual score DESCRIPTION by someone who's actually heard it and can talk about it.

But i reckon there's sarcasm in your comment for the....quality of the composer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Can someone explain and define musically to me what the fuck "supernatural" music sounds like?

It means he used some alien instruments which were obtained by requesting them from the aliens in the movie, very nicely and humbly. cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That's PR for you man. It's just the same where I work, and I've heard much sillier things than what Varese come out with!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Can someone explain and define musically to me what the fuck "supernatural" music sounds like?

It means he used some alien instruments which were obtained by requesting them from the aliens in the movie, very nicely and humbly. cool

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    That's PR for you man. It's just the same where I work, and I've heard much sillier things than what Varese come out with!

That's why nobody is taking pr seriously. Can't you do FACTUAL pr?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE FOURTH KIND

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … -Kind.html

The clips doesn't impress. But I'll be interested in listening to it at least once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here. I really liked parts of BABYLON A.D (the stunning opening for one) and the entire VANTAGE POINT score. I am really curious if he's going to continue on the prospect and abilities he hinted now at the beginning, or if he's going to turn into another impersonal RC soldier.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

That's why nobody is taking pr seriously. Can't you do FACTUAL pr?

factual PR? THat'd be an oxymoron, wouldn't it? bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You have a point there wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009 edited
    There's something in his music that attracts me when i'm in the mood...i'd say from all the RC guys writing now as we speak, he is the most interesting (excluding Badelt and Powell who aren't really RC anymore, and HGW whose music is plain boring these days).

Very interesting sound textures in this new score, the FOURTH KIND. Of course it's not a master of originality and it's mostly electronic-based, suffering from a lot of underscore, but it sounds good and the main theme variations that appear in (sadly not that much) places are very interesting. People who already liked BABYLON A.D will find lots of common ground to like here as well, with the pulsing electronic rhythms, the female vocal textures, the string ostinati and the dark atmosphere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    I liked the Fourth Kind score, mostly ambient but well textured and layered with good suspenseful development.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Very interesting sound textures in this new score, the FOURTH KIND. Of course it's not a master of originality and it's mostly electronic-based, suffering from a lot of underscore, but it sounds good and the main theme variations that appear in (sadly not that much) places are very interesting. People who already liked BABYLON A.D will find lots of common ground to like here as well, with the pulsing electronic rhythms, the female vocal textures, the string ostinati and the dark atmosphere.

I listened to the clips on iTunes (which are surprisingly decent sound quality now) and I came to basically the same conclusion, so I will be purchasing this when I am done with all the other more pressing new releases and other things that I am supposed to buy (like the classic Westerns from Morricone)...

I mean seriously, D, which is the lowest common denominator, an ambient Atli score, Desplat's New Moon or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    a new score by atli

SEASON OF THE WITCH

release date 16.03.10 (download only)

here are sound clips

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ … =624868011
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    Nicholas Cage goes after witches again? Didn't he already do that in that other film scored by Badalamenti a few years back?

Anyway, looking forward to this. I find myself strangely attracted to Atli's dark version of RC.
  3. Yes, I think this man is branching out to having a voice of his own. I will observe his career for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nicholas Cage goes after witches again? Didn't he already do that in that other film scored by Badalamenti a few years back?

Anyway, looking forward to this. I find myself strangely attracted to Atli's dark version of RC.

Yeah, a shitty remake of the Whicker Man....and I watched it spin slant vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, a shitty remake of the Wicker Man....and I watched it spin slant vomit

My wife and I went with a bunch of my friends to a 10pm showing.... and EVERYONE was awestruck at the shear horrible camp that was going on. Hopefully, this new Dominic Sena film won't disappoint (as much).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i remember hearing from everyone that it was utter crap. How this actor continuously chooses to play in such great movies as The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans and simultaneously at the complete opposite, is beyond me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

And then there´s "The Sorcerer´s Apprentice". Take a look at the pictures and try to find a difference:

Season of the Witch

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked