• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    Some praise for Orvarsson's score to The Eagle from Sheri Lindon of the LA Times:

"If this episodic quest still manages to feel too flat and mild, at least it gives us the mysterious Highlands and the Celtic dirge of Atli Örvarsson's outstanding score."

Sounds promising?

Can I haz releases on compact discs?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Some praise for Orvarsson's score to The Eagle from Sheri Lindon of the LA Times:

"If this episodic quest still manages to feel too flat and mild, at least it gives us the mysterious Highlands and the Celtic dirge of Atli Örvarsson's outstanding score."

Sounds promising?

Who Sheri Lindon? Am I s'posed to be impressed?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote

Sounds promising?

Hm, let's see. I always believed this man could someday give us something really good! His opening title cues for instance, for all his work so far, had some very notable elements but curiously failed to deliver or continue on that level during the rest of the scores which usually resorted to standard undescore.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011 edited
    The Eagle’ Soundtrack announced

Source: filmmusicreporter, silva:

Silva Screen Records has announced a soundtrack album for the adventure movie The Eagle.

The album includes Atli Orvarsson’s original score for the film starring Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell and Donald Sutherland. The soundtrack will be released on February 22, 2011. The movie directed by Kevin Macdonald (Touching the Void, The Last King of Scotland, State of Play) takes place in Roman-ruled Britain, where a young Roman soldier endeavors to honor his father’s memory by finding his lost legion’s golden emblem.

Also check out this statement from the soundtrack announcement press release, where he talks about working with director Kevin Macdonald:

“Handmade and authentic. These became the key words in my conversations with director Kevin Macdonald as we started working on the music for The Eagle. With a background in documentary film making, he had a deep desire for the music to feel “real and true” to the period and geography of the film… in Kevin I had the perfect collaborator who constantly encouraged me to seek out the unknown and challenged my “musical comfort zone.” From recording Ram’s horns, carnyx and stone whistles in an Edinburgh church, to finding the deeply talented Neff brothers on Myspace, to discovering the hauntingly beautiful Persian Kamancheh … In the end I had the privilege to weave all these elements, along with my themes and an orchestra, into the tapestry that is this score.”

Here’s the album tracklisting:

1. Testudo
    2. Highlands
    3. The Return Of The Eagle
    4. The Ninth Legion
    5. North of the Wall
    6. Honourable Discharge
    7. Out Swords!
    8. May Your Souls Take Flight
    9. The Seal People
    10. Searching
    11. Barbarians
    12. I Will Return
    13. Better Angry Than Dead
    14. Eagle Lost, Honour Lost
    15. Fleeing The Village
    16. Edge of the World
    17. Esca’s Freedom
    18. Beyond The Territories
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also new interview with the composer:

http://scorenotes.com/interviews.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heard it through a promo, it's completely orchestral for a change (at least sounds so). Very organic, filled with every middle eastern sound you can imagine, from throat singing to persian instruments and solo vocalists. Melodically it's near Nick Glennie Smith's "we were soldiers" and Zimmer's well, everything (the thin red line meets middle east but not so good). It's quite enjoyable for those into this style but don't expect anything groundbreaking or as hyped as the press makes it. Looking forward to the movie though 'cause it is a quite decent score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Has it got wailing women?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, mostly men smile Eerie stuff, very well done.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The score is talked up very well, it has me intrigued.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As i said:

". It's quite enjoyable for those into this style but don't expect anything groundbreaking or as hyped as the press makes it."

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhh! Wallpaper it is.

Miss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011
    Favorable review of The Eagle from Kaya Savas:

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/t … ssonreview
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011 edited
    It's not that good, really. It's got some strong standout cues, notably the theme and variations or the couple of celtic-driven pieces, but the rest will pass as "generic middle eastern underscore wall" to anyone not overly into this kind of rc-scoring; and yes, it is NOT Gladiator for sure. Some critics must be really good friends with Atli it seems wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    I've got a new pr which - among other things, also says that he "is working with Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight, Inception) on the new Superman feature Man of Steel. "
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    Atli seems to have stayed in the collaborator role longer than most of the RCP guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    Him and Lorne Balfe.
  1. Balfe's doing a lot more "solo" work (as in main credit) than Atli, which is a pity, because I think Atli's better than Lorne.

If Atli's working on Superman, I certainly hope Hans is thinking choir. Orvarsson's quite great at that (see Angels and Demons).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I liked his "Eagle" score but I was hugely disappionted with the film. The novel "The Eagle of the Ninth" by Rosemary Sutcliff was one of my childhood favourites.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    New project, CHICAGO FIRE

Read the press release for more info:

COMPOSER ATLI ORVARSSON SCORES ADRENALINE-CHARGED NEW SERIES CHICAGO FIRE

Wednesdays at 10/9c on NBC

(West Hollywood, CA)- December 17, 2012—Composer Atli Orvarsson scores the new NBC series Chicago Fire, an edge-of-your-seat drama that portrays the dangerous - yet incredibly rewarding – lives of the firefighters, rescue squad, and paramedics of Chicago Firehouse 51. Chicago Fire is executive produced by Emmy award-winner Dick Wolf (Law & Order), and the series’ creators, Derek Haas and Michael Brandt, are the writing team behind 3:10 to Yuma. In addition to scoring Chicago Fire, Orvarsson recently scored Paramount Pictures/MGM’s Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters, an edgy, action-packed reinvention of the classic fairytale. Orvarsson also scored the dark drama/thriller A Single Shot starring Sam Rockwell, and he is contributing music under Hans Zimmer to the Zack Snyder Superman reinstallment Man of Steel. Chicago Fire airs weekly on Wednesdays at 10/9c.

Chicago Fire stars Jesse Spencer, Taylor Kinney, Lauren German, Monica Raymund, Charlie Barnett, Teri Reeves, David Eigenberg, and Eamonn Walker. The characters’ high-pressure jobs are emotionally and physically taxing, sometimes causing conflicts to develop within the firehouse. Even so, the team is a close-knit extended family, and when the calls come in, they pull together to go above and beyond in the line of duty.

Atli Orvarsson earned three platinum and two gold records as a member of the Icelandic band Salin hans Jons mins before studying film composing at Berklee College of Music and the North Carolina School of the Arts. After arriving in Los Angeles, Orvarsson began working alongside TV veteran Mike Post on projects such as NYPD Blue and three Law and Order programs. Orvarsson soon caught the attention of the highly renowned composer Hans Zimmer who, impressed, extended an invitation to Orvarsson to join Zimmer’s team at Remote Control Studios. Orvarsson’s credits include orchestrating and writing music for Hollywood blockbusters, including the Pirates of the Caribbean series. He has contributed music to films including Angels and Demons and The Holiday, and has scored numerous films including The Eagle, Vantage Point, Babylon A.D., the Morgan Freeman caper Thick as Thieves, The Fourth Kind, and the Nicolas Cage medieval fantasy Season of the Witch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013 edited
    From Southall's review of Hansel & Gretel: The word “bonus” here is used much in the same way as it would be when talking about a bird doing a shit on your head thirteen times before a bonus fourteenth one arrives just when you think the misery is over.

biggrin
  3. I went to Atli's site a few days ago, to give his music a fair shot. I ended up liking three cues (one every much) from two different projects, and either not liking or hating most of it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013
    I ordered H&G based on the samples, there are actually RC scores I can enjoy tongue ; I think there is worse bird shit to be had on your head, in your eye, in your mouth, in your butt crack. Avoid the beach.
  4. Real bird shit washes off, but the horrible music can still be heard in your head long after you jettisoned the CD.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    I don't usually find that horrible music ever sticks in my head. If its in my head, it pretty much always means I like it.

Anyway, not too excited about this latest Atli score from the comments so far. I like his style but he really needs to learn some new tricks and/or start composing for more open-minded directors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    Oh, boy the movie also seems like a horrible flop too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    new interview with Atli:

http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013
    Last year, composer Atli Örvarsson recorded his score for the hit horror-comedy Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, directed by Tommy Wirkola (Dead Snow), opened on January 25 and has grossed nearly $130 million worldwide. ScoringSessions.com is thrilled to bring our readers some photos from the sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  5. Apparently Atli's started a band, Torrek, together with some of the musicians who performed on The Eagle (and the female vocal is his sister Hilda, who did the vocals for Babylon A.D.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNoN_2jCMM

I think it sounds pretty nice, in style very much like the better parts of The Eagle (not as good as "The Return of the Eagle" cue but in the same vein), a little bit Celtic but not overly so. Certainly a hell of a lot better than whatever the hell that Hansel and Gretel score was. tongue

I've been watching Orvarsson's career with great interest [/palpatine], but seriously, I think he's quite talented when he has a mind to be, and more interesting than Djawadi or Balfe. Curious to hear what he'll come up with for that City of Bones flick later this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2013
    All good and nice until i read the last paragraph about Hansel and Gretel rolleyes

via Costa Communications Inc.

#TheCredits talks with composer Atli Örvarsson about Mortal Instruments, working with Hans Zimmer and Man of Steel and breaking open the piano to create music for dark, twisted projects including Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

link here: http://bit.ly/109fLIa
  6. My review of THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/09/04/the-m … orvarsson/

Jon