• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014
    I'll tell him when I'm done with the oil.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014
    ...if D has saved you any.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hamlet - Franco Zeffirelli (1990) starring Mel Gibson

and

Hamlet - Kenneth Branagh (1996) starring, well, Kenneth Branagh

For another university assignment where I have to compare the two. Two very different takes on the classic play, I liked both for different reasons. Zeffirelli's is more visceral and immediate whereas Branagh's (which is almost twice as long, but nevertheless manages to avoid feeling slow) is much more lavish and expansive and sprawling. Branagh is easily the better actor of the two but I was surprised how decent Gibson was in the main role, he doesn't bring as many subtleties but he does have a strong presence. Some of the celebrity cameos from Branagh's are a bit distracting; hearing Billy Crystal and Robin Williams spout Shakespearian dialog just doesn't really compute. BRIAN BLESSED on the other hand... punk

Have heard neither Morricone nor Doyle's scores out of context; the former seemed pretty sparse but for a few lovely melodic cues, the latter struck me as much richer and almost regal, still quite restrained for the most part but with a few very majestic pieces indeed - surprisingly so for such a tragic tale.

4,000 words to write by noon Friday... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    4,000 words to write by noon Friday... rolleyes

All together now... "Sucking the fun out of watching movies! Yeah!"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. No more after Friday though! I'm DONE! punk
  3. Some thoughts there.

Zefferelli's Hamlet is the most Freudian. Let him in room with a woman and watch how angry he gets. Branagh's is more tender with Ophelia, using her as less of a prop in 'get thee to a nunnery'. He is more calculating.

Doyle's score follows suit with the production design and swooping camera and epic cast -- it's a romantic epic score. Morricone's is more interior, moody, as bleak as the coast the film is set.

(Check out Kosintsev, Almereydra, Nicol Williamson and Olivier's Hamlets for more fun.)

Call it sucking the fun. To me, thinking is fun. Thinking about something that emotionally engages you is the best of all scenarios.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Zefferelli's Hamlet is the most Freudian. Let him in room with a woman and watch how angry he gets. Branagh's is more tender with Ophelia, using her as less of a prop in 'get thee to a nunnery'. He is more calculating.

Oh, definitely. The scene in Zeffirelli's between Hamlet and Gertrude just before he kills Polonius behind the curtain is absolutely dripping with Oedipal subtext.

franz_conrad wrote
    (Check out Kosintsev, Almereydra, Nicol Williamson and Olivier's Hamlets for more fun.)

I've seen the Olivier one, although it was way back when. I wanted specifically to compare a couple of more modern Hamlets. Like the fact that Zeffirelli hired Gibson based on Lethal Weapon is interesting, and the result is a much less hesitant and more active Hamlet. You also get more of an idea that he could, under different circumstances, have been a perfectly normal and balanced person...whereas with Branagh, there's a sense of something bubbling beneath the surface from the word go.

franz_conrad wrote
    Call it sucking the fun. To me, thinking is fun. Thinking about something that emotionally engages you is the best of all scenarios.

Oh, I agree! Thinking about it, watching the movies and taking notes has been very fun, and interesting. Arranging those thoughts into a workable essay with a good structure and backing it all up with oodles of secondary critical sources, on the other hand... freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't seen Zefirelli's HAMLET, but I hate Morricone's score. That's the exact side of his musical stylings that I can't tolerate.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I haven't seen Zefirelli's HAMLET, but I hate Morricone's score.

I haven't seen Zefirelli's HAMLET, but I love Morricone's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014 edited
    I'd rather listen to someone scrape on the blackboard for two hours straight while hanging upside down and being shaved by a blind person.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014 edited
    shocked biggrin LOL!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You lucky lucky bastard!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'd rather listen to someone scrape on the blackboard for two hours straight while hanging upside down and being shaved by a blind person.

That's nice.

I'd rather listen to Morricone's HAMLET but to each their own.
  5. Thor wrote

I assume that's two hours of a much longer sequence?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This guys review actually makes me want to see it again shocked

STAR CRASH
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The reviewer is off his rocker, but the film looks like a hilarious "so bad it's good" affair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    The reviewer is off his rocker

yeah

but the film looks like a hilarious "so bad it's good" affair.

yeah !, squared!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Legend has it that John Barry saw the finished cut of the film and was told it was the unfinished rough cut spin cheesy

When I said I'd wanted to see it again I'd really have to be in the right mood drink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ....on the other hand it does have Caroline Monro in it dizzy lick
  6. Timmer wrote

The reviewer on the video could have saved himself over 12 minutes of time by having the review be just that statement.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and the opposite review.

STAR CRASH 2 - not the sequel
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

The reviewer on the video could have saved himself over 12 minutes of time by having the review be just that statement.

biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014 edited
    The Matrix

Gotta be a top 5 film for me. I can watch this time and time again, and that's coming from the sort of person who generally doesn't like to watch what he's already seen. That's how I know it's one of my favourites. For me, this is filmmaking at its very best; from set design, to cinematography, to special effects, the script, the imagery, direction and music - it all comes together to make, what I think, is a pretty damn perfect film. Ironically, given the subject matter, this film makes me forget the bleakness of reality for but a brief two hours, and for that reason it's an incredibly personal film.

Surely destined to be a classic, if not already, along with Davis's masterful score.
  7. I was always a DARK CITY guy myself, but MATRIX is an extraordinary thing, no doubt about that. Joseph Campbell for a newer, more cynical age.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014
    I've never actually seen Dark City, but I think you've just given my next film to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014 edited
    Also, I'm well aware that this film borrows from many sources, I know it's not a purely original work (most notably from Japanese anime I believe). But I don't feel like I need to explore its roots, it's this film that I connect with. In much the same way I enjoy the Star Wars scores (and films). Clearly they were inspired by great classical music that went before them, but it's the 'repackaging' of those ideas that I prefer.

More of a general comment I hasten to add, not directed at you specifically Michael wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Matrix

Gotta be a top 5 film for me. I can watch this time and time again, and that's coming from the sort of person who generally doesn't like to watch what he's already seen. That's how I know it's one of my favourites. For me, this is filmmaking at its very best; from set design, to cinematography, to special effects, the script, the imagery, direction and music - it all comes together to make, what I think, is a pretty damn perfect film. Ironically, given the subject matter, this film makes me forget the bleakness of reality for but a brief two hours, and for that reason it's an incredibly personal film.

Surely destined to be a classic, if not already, along with Davis's masterful score.

I pretty much agree! Aside from more great music, what a shame about the shitty-arse sequels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. There's some neat ideas, and some great imagery in the sequels... but they fall flat on their shitty-arse. Unlike the Star Wars prequels (which just make me angry), these I'm more disappointed with, mostly because I seem to remember they don't mess around with the mythology too much, even if its self-indulgence in that aspect is what ultimately lets them down.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    I was always a DARK CITY guy myself, but MATRIX is an extraordinary thing, no doubt about that. Joseph Campbell for a newer, more cynical age.

yeah beer

Dark City is friggin' underrated. Love that movie!

And seeing Rufus Sewell play Fortinbras in Branagh's Hamlet recently made me wonder why he bothered invading Elsinore in the first place...surely he could have just flipped the world upside down or something and saved me three and a half hours worth of soliloquies?
  9. Syriana

Ouch! What a depressing (but obviously very realistic) tale. There are several serious punches in the gut. And Desplat´s score doesn´t help one bit. Which is the point, I guess, so, well done.