• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    Southall wrote
    Avatar was for me just as Jurassic Park was in terms of pushing the boundary of what that sort of film can do visually, and considering I was much older and therefore harder to impress that was some feat.

I totally agree. In fact, it's appropriate that the two are mentioned in the same sentence, since they both subscribe to an experience-type form of cinema-viewing. It is, of course, also appropriate that JP was post-converted to 3D for those reasons recently, although I prefer films to be made with 3D in mind to have the full effect.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thanks guys! beer

We've decided no 3D is the way.

GODZILLA

MY VERDICT
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    punk
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Well, Timmer, what about Godzilla? popcorn
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014
    Southall wrote
    something

Thor wrote
    I agree

Something is wrong here - very wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014 edited
    The Matrix Reloaded

An ambitious sequel, but unfortunately rather poorly judged. I don't hate these films like I hate the Star Wars prequels, they're not all terrible. There are some exciting action scenes, fantastic artwork (i.e. the look of Zion) and still-impressive special effects (the same could be said of the prequels, but I don't care. Fuck those films).

The highlight of this film though is the Chateau fight scene, but only with a bit of iPod syncing wizardry. I managed to match it up pretty damn perfectly to Davis's original -and criminally rejected- cue 'Chateau Swashbuckling'. Jesus Christ. I had a grin on my face throughout the whole scene. Superb scoring with perfect spotting. Absolutely brilliant brilliant film music. Watch it here if you haven't already seen it.
  2. The Matrix sequels are often lumped together in terms of their shittiness but I actually find Reloaded - once it stops throwing questionable rave/sex scenes at us and gets off its damn feet - to be a lot more enjoyable than Revolutions. The freeway chase alone is far more entertaining than the entirety of the overlong battle for Zion. But then the Architect guy comes in at the end and blah blah blah sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I fast-forwarded the rave scene. Shittest thing ever. But the freeway chase is an undeniably impressive scene, quite exhilarating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never found anything 'shitty' about the MATRIX sequels. Love both of 'em, although they don't necessarily have the grit and intellectual "freshness" of the first, iconic film.

The rave scene -- featuring brilliant music by Juno Reactor -- is one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie. Goosebumps ever time (although that may be more because of the music than the film).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a lot that's shit about the sequels. Primarily, these films fail by either ignoring or ruining what made the first one so good. Gone is the gritty realism of the first, as well as the wonder, and instead replaced with a more videogame-like feel. There are also gaping plot holes due to the overly convoluted plot, plus it indulges far too much in gibberish philosophical and techno-babble. It worked in the first film, but it was taken too far in the sequels. Too much is explained through dialogue, so I'm surprised that isn't something you dislike. The first film was a perfect, self-contained story and these films just weren't justified in the end.

...and that rave scene was so just so unnecessary. Was everyone in Zion dancing naked with their tits out like horny teenagers? It was like inserting a pointless gratuitous music video. rolleyes

You're wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've never understood why people always demand sequels to be more of the same. In this case, they expanded the pallette (due to increased budget, no doubt) to make it more epic and lavish, and that works brilliantly. The philosophical dialogue in places doesn't really bother me that much since it's not really plot-relevant information -- it's mostly backdrop for the the narrative themes of the story.

The rave scene was great as a release valve due to the dense plot and action otherwise, and a celebration of human perseverance and 'joie de vivre'. Then again, being part of the rave scene in the 90s myself, I felt particularly connected to that segment.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Steven wrote
    It worked in the first film, but it was taken too far in the sequels. Too much is explained through dialogue, so I'm surprised that isn't something you dislike.

Thor Equation for Good Film = [(Is it more visual than sensible? {=2 if true, =1 if false})^(Are Spielberg, Scott, Bay or other visual talents behind it? {=2 if true, =1 if false)]^(Religious Sound? {=2 if true, 1 if false)]^(Is the dialogue used to convey more than basic human desires? {=1 if true, =2 if false})*(5/8)

I think you'll find that covers most ratings out of 10 right there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    applause
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I've never understood why people always demand sequels to be more of the same. In this case, they expanded the pallette (due to increased budget, no doubt) to make it more epic and lavish, and that works brilliantly.

No, it doesn't.
    It just... it just doesn't.

It isn't about demanding more of the same, it's about expanding on what was good about the first in a way that doesn't ruin it. They tried to expand on the original ideas in some respects, hence 'ambitious' - but ultimately it failed. (Some things they expanded on in the sequels contradicts what was good about the first.)

The rave scene was great as a release valve due to the dense plot and action otherwise, and a celebration of human perseverance and 'joie de vivre'. Then again, being part of the rave scene in the 90s myself, I felt particularly connected to that segment.

Urgh. It was still pointless. It added absolutely nothing to the story. Compare this to the first, and there's not a single wasted scene or shot. The same cannot be said of the sequels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All that said, I still, surprisingly, enjoy watching these films. As long as I don't think of them as sequels to the brilliant film that started it all, they're quite entertaining indeed. Even if just to hear Don Davis's magnificent score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    It worked in the first film, but it was taken too far in the sequels. Too much is explained through dialogue, so I'm surprised that isn't something you dislike.

Thor Equation for Good Film = [(Is it more visual than sensible? {=2 if true, =1 if false})^(Are Spielberg, Scott, Bay or other visual talents behind it? {=2 if true, =1 if false)]^(Religious Sound? {=2 if true, 1 if false)]^(Is the dialogue used to convey more than basic human desires? {=1 if true, =2 if false})*(5/8)

I think you'll find that covers most ratings out of 10 right there.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It isn't about demanding more of the same, it's about expanding on what was good about the first in a way that doesn't ruin it. They tried to expand on the original ideas in some respects, hence 'ambitious' - but ultimately it failed. (Some things they expanded on in the sequels contradicts what was good about the first.)

I disagree. They went from intimate philosophical 'action drama' to full-out epic mythology -- with all that that entails in terms of audiovisual spectacle. A very legitimate and appealing form of continuation.

Urgh. It was still pointless. It added absolutely nothing to the story. Compare this to the first, and there's not a single wasted scene or shot. The same cannot be said of the sequels.

Story, schmory....the scene was more about pace and rhythm in the overall scheme of things. So seamless, and at the same time standing out. I actually think it (or something like it) was CRUCIAL at that point, in other words the opposite of pointless.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Pace and rhythm? It ground the film to a halt for five minutes solid! Pointless!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Absolutely not. There's so much action before and after this that it becomes a crucial release valve. Heightens the film, in my opinion, to something more than just relentless action. Allows one to step back and appraise the situation, perhaps even ponder what it's all about. It's like a Yasujiro Ozu pillow shot, only with raving psytrance music instead of silence. I adore it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Story, schmory...

That says it all. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Absolutely not. There's so much action before and after this that it becomes a crucial release valve. Heightens the film, in my opinion, to something more than just relentless action. Allows one to step back and appraise the situation, perhaps even ponder what it's all about. It's like a Yasujiro Ozu pillow shot, only with raving psytrance music instead of silence. I adore it!

I rarely use this guy, but... lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm just thankful that I see some value there you don't. It's a win-win for me!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But you're so... wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Now THIS is worth repeating...

<<Watch it here if you haven't already seen it.>>

Bloody hell YEAH!!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk

I'd pay just to see that in cinema. It's film music heaven.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's astounding!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014
    EL CID ( 1961 )

On BBC 2 now. Seen it loads of times but as soon as the music started I was utterly entranced. Rozsa was awesome!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ... the bit at the end where the Cid is "mounted" on his horse and the Organ plays....OMG! Film music to image nirvana.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    ... the bit at the end where the Cid is "mounted" on his horse and the Organ plays....OMG! Film music to image nirvana.

Is that the bit with the 'religious sound'? I can't remember where it is in the film, but I love that cue -- brief as it is.
    I am extremely serious.