• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. If you don't like HER, you probably shouldn't see one of the best new films this year, LOCKE.

Steven Knight is a UK-based writer whose scripts usually have higher-than-average intelligence. He finds an interesting way to bring real life situations in genre films. DIRTY PRETTY THINGS and EASTERN PROMISES were both his scripts. LOCKE is his best, and he directed it too. Tom Hardy plays a man called Ivan Locke whom we accompany on a night trip to London. On his way he makes a number of phone calls that carry life-changing consequences. It's not a romance like HER at all, but the emphasis on conversations with unseen characters, and the intensity of focus -- we never leave this car, over this 90 minute timeframe -- both make it similar. This film could have been as dry as toast, but fortunately the script is perfection and if you like imagery of roads at night, you'll be in heaven. The closest thing to a one-man stage play on film?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I don't think I've seen him bad in anything.

Spacecamp?! tongue

-Erik-

Haven't seen it and didn't know he was in it. spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    HER had a cute promise and it was fine enough for the first half hour or so. After that, it just became irritating and repetitive, IMO.

Same here. Didn't like the score at all, either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I don't think I've seen him bad in anything. A shame his brother River drugged himself to death.

True, he's one of those actors that are in mostly great films. Love his acting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2014
    Natural World

I like Golem the vulture.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2014 edited
    Just came back from EDGE OF TOMORROW (3D version). I really liked it. Sure, the GROUNDHOG DAY premise has been done a few times, but I like the way they realized it here. The only thing that troubled me was the annoying teenagers behind me, one of which constantly kicked into my seat.

You can say a lot of things about Tom Cruise, but he's an excellent action actor who has acquired a good taste and judgement in the sci fi projects he signs up for.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Solid film, will be seeing it again soon. Crap score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2014
    Yeah, the score is rather disappointing. I know Beck can do a lot better if he's given something else than the 'standard action palette' to work with.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2014
    Beck's EDGE OF TOMORROW? Haven't heard that score yet and it's a different genre for him (although reports suggest a bad rc clone score) but overall, yeah i'd say that to my ears, he's like the Tyler Bates of comedy scores wink (except for Frozen which was quite good).
  3. The Spectacular Now (2013)

Slow moving drama, but a very good film nonetheless about a boy and a girl. The girl (Shailene Woodley) falls for the popular guy in school, but the guy is partly using her to get back to his ex, but also (and this is where the film becomes really good) because he begins to find out he is really a bad influence on her, his family and everyone around him.

The biggest strength though is the realism. It feels natural, completely real and very honest. No over acting, just pure raw realism. Even the sex scene is one of the most convincing I've seen in a long time. Anyway, pleasantly surprised by this.

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2014
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Spectacular Now (2013)

Slow moving drama, but a very good film nonetheless about a boy and a girl. The girl (Shailene Woodley) falls for the popular guy in school, but the guy is partly using her to get back to his ex, but also (and this is where the film becomes really good) because he begins to find out he is really a bad influence on her, his family and everyone around him.

The biggest strength though is the realism. It feels natural, completely real and very honest. No over acting, just pure raw realism. Even the sex scene is one of the most convincing I've seen in a long time. Anyway, pleasantly surprised by this.

8 out of 10

Haven't seen the film, but I like the score.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I agree that Spectacular Now does have an air of realism to it, and you can't fault the performances, but that couldn't keep me interested. I almost never fast forward scenes in a film, but I did a few in this film's second half.

On the weekend I saw Shadow of a Doubt, Hitchcock's small-town thriller. Solid screenplay. Not sure I quite buy the ending, and Tiomkin's score is a wrecking ball, but everything else about this is exemplary. Some of the great "villain" speeches in film history.

Also returned to Baz Luhrman's Romeo+Juliet and caught Ken Lonergan's 3 hour Margaret this weekend. Both very strong stories of young folk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014
    Why i don't watch GOT yet wink

http://9gag.com/gag/aAYzW7R?ref=fsidebar
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Tiomkin's score is a wrecking ball

Interesting. I thought it worked pretty well, what with that waltz tune being picked up by the non-diegetic music and all. Why do you think it's bad?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Why i don't watch GOT yet wink

http://9gag.com/gag/aAYzW7R?ref=fsidebar

Just watch the goddamn show, asshole! tongue

Seriously. It's very good.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Tiomkin's score is a wrecking ball

Interesting. I thought it worked pretty well, what with that waltz tune being picked up by the non-diegetic music and all. Why do you think it's bad?

The waltz is fine. But things - and there are many - like the swell when uncle Charlie ascends the stairs and looks down to see his niece looking up at him through the door are pretty overwrought. The over articulation of drama that's perfectly expressed already in the rest of the scene feels unecessary. The Hermann scores touch romantic heights, but they've aged better I reckon.
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    I agree that Spectacular Now does have an air of realism to it, and you can't fault the performances, but that couldn't keep me interested. I almost never fast forward scenes in a film, but I did a few in this film's second half.

On the weekend I saw Shadow of a Doubt, Hitchcock's small-town thriller. Solid screenplay. Not sure I quite buy the ending, and Tiomkin's score is a wrecking ball, but everything else about this is exemplary. Some of the great "villain" speeches in film history.

Also returned to Baz Luhrman's Romeo+Juliet and caught Ken Lonergan's 3 hour Margaret this weekend. Both very strong stories of young folk.

I agree, the movie went by very slowly. But if you're interested, you don't care. But I was shocked to find out that only an hour had passed considering I thought the movie was practically over
  8. I think I was misled by the cover saying 'from the makers of 500 days of summer'. I wanted something with a bit more zip and whimsy. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Broadchurch

I finally got to watch this British detective series, which won a lot of acclaim when it was broadcast last year. Easy to see why it did - it's a deeply atmospheric piece, obviously inspired by the recent exceptional Scandinavian shows, with a couple of compelling lead characters. It's a straightforward "whodunnit" and I had no idea who did it until the end. Very well plotted. The only thing that pegs it back slightly is the very silly subplot featuring a psychic, which could and should have been ditched.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014
    Straightforward 'whodunnit'? Hmmm....not my kind of thing. But I really like the score.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Jean de Florette. What a great fable. Nice example of a story told from the point of view of a villain, where their enemy is actually a good person. And impressive to see a young Auteil and Depardieu together with Yves Montand. A beautifully rich sense of place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Straightforward 'whodunnit'? Hmmm....not my kind of thing. But I really like the score.

It was very effective in context. Haven't heard it on album.
  10. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Spectacular Now (2013)

8 out of 10

Haven't seen the film, but I like the score.

it's effective in the film yes, but I can imagine being a bore on album
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It isn't. Quite the contrary, it's a lovely little thing -- melodic and warm.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Broadchurch

I finally got to watch this British detective series, which won a lot of acclaim when it was broadcast last year. Easy to see why it did - it's a deeply atmospheric piece, obviously inspired by the recent exceptional Scandinavian shows, with a couple of compelling lead characters. It's a straightforward "whodunnit" and I had no idea who did it until the end. Very well plotted. The only thing that pegs it back slightly is the very silly subplot featuring a psychic, which could and should have been ditched.

Score is excellent too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Beasts of the Southern Wild

A great "little" movie with good performances by everyone involved, and a nice score, too.

If you have the chance, watch the Making Of, it will make you appreciate the whole thing a lot more.
  12. Thor wrote
    It isn't. Quite the contrary, it's a lovely little thing -- melodic and warm.

I have to check it out then wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Beasts of the Southern Wild

A great "little" movie with good performances by everyone involved, and a nice score, too.

If you have the chance, watch the Making Of, it will make you appreciate the whole thing a lot more.

I recommend this too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Same here, very enjoyable, well-spirited movie.