• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

9/10

I'd have given it 10 if the score was a classic. As it was it wasn't that bad in the film but does mark it down a bit.

The film was tremendous fun!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One that I haven't heard or seen.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TIM is that film as good as they say?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Of its ilk yes it is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    I watched one called "Doomsday Machine" last night that has to be in the one category,one of the Elvira package. To further complicate matters I fell asleep while watching it with a coke in my hand and proceeded to spill it all over me and the bed linen which is now being washed this morning. Nothing like changing the linen early in the morning when I could barely stand up.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014
    Captain America 2

Very entertaining. Shit score though. At its best, it's functional. At its worst, it's offensive to the ears. Fuck this score, and fuck anyone who says it's good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought some of the score was okay.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't arsed to ever listen to it again though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I suppose that means it must be crap really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There was a brief moment in the Smithsonian where it resembled an actual film score, but that was about it I think. Terrible.

I understand it was a different film to the first, but 'darkish thriller' does not mean the score needs to be crap.
  1. Steven wrote
    fuck anyone who says it's good.

Hey, don't say that about my boss!

Seriously rolleyes : http://www.tracksounds.com/reviews/capt … ackman.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your boss is a retard.
  2. Oh, I agree with you. In this particular case.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ROBOCOP ( 1987 )

Excellent film. Excellent score.

I've not seen the remake. Anyone here seen it? Any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tonight it's going to be "Magnum Force" which is the first of the Eastwood series with Harry Callahan.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Tonight it's going to be "Magnum Force" which is the first of the Eastwood series with Harry Callahan.
    Tom

The first one was Dirty Harry, Tom. Magnum Force was the second Harry Callahan film.

Both have excellent Lalo Schifrin scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    ROBOCOP ( 1987 )

Excellent film. Excellent score.

I've not seen the remake. Anyone here seen it? Any good?

It's not crap. It's okay. It's an acceptable action movie that just happens to share the same title as a classic 80s action film. It really should have been called Cyborgman or something.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll probably check it out at some point. From what I've seen I don't like the new design. Cyborgman? I would call him Iron X-Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Magnum Force if you've not seen it is a good entry into the series.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah it isn't bad is it. It also stars a pre-Starsky & Hutch, David Soul.

I remember one episode of Starsky & Hutch completely ripped off the plot of Dirty Harry.
  3. Even though it's been a long while, I decided to finally wathc the Fockford Files TV movies, which I had never seen. There were eight of them. EDIT: there were seven, not eight; people have been counting the pilot movie as an eight TV movie. I'm counting TV movies after the show ended.

I started out of order, since there doesn't appear to be any special need to view them in order.

Generally I've found TV movies from TV series, suck powerful ass, such as the MacGyver ones (which I sampled, but were so terrible I can't believe they made them) and the horrid Andy Griffith's TV movie (among others), but so far these Rockford films seen to have completely avoided that trend.

Garner hasn't lost it at all, though he's certainly not the running around actiony kind of detective he once was in his youth, but it all there, even things that get lost in later movies: he still has his gold car, he still has the same beach hour (which appears to be in the same spot as the TV series), he still has his annoying friend Angel, still has the same police captain, still has Dennis Becker as a friend, and so forth. And also great to have: Mike Post scoring them. And the iconic theme is used to open them (so far, I've not seen all of them), though it's a new performance (but faithful to the original).

Some nice touches: they actually visited Jim Rockford's father's grave (he died while they were making a TV movie); they didn't just glance over the passing of the actor and made so to mention it. And for some reason, probably out of respect from the producers and Mike Post, even though Pete Carpenter passed away before the movies, he's still credited as co-composed for the movie scores.

"If the Frame Fits..."
    Is a fun little one where Jim is framed for murder.

"Godfather Knows Best"
    Dennis's son is leading an aimless and homeless life.

"Punishment and Crime"
    Okay, certainly not as enjoyable as the others. An old flame of Jim's comes back into his life but has problems (and yes, litterally she's reprisingly a role from the original series). A twist of the opening theme isn't bad at all, though short.

I'd say that if these are any indication, the complete scores to all them could fit on one CD -- there's really not that much scoring.

EDIT:
    I've seen all but one and I can safely say the first two I mentioned, are the best.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014
    I watched "Oxygen" last night with Brody and found it to be fair. Music by Rolfe Kent was filler material only. While the concept of the being buried alive was a good plot the writing left too many holes.
    Tom
  4. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

The first one was Dirty Harry, Tom. Magnum Force was the second Harry Callahan film.

Both have excellent Lalo Schifrin scores.

fun and good films too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dirty Harry was the first X film I saw ( I was 15 ), a double-bill with Enter The Dragon. Doesn't get much better than that.
  5. Timmer wrote
    ... a double-bill with Enter The Dragon. ...

That does sound pretty adult. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For those that may not know, an X film meant 18 years and over only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    I got the films mixed up. Didn't he do 4 of them?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    Another awful film for me last night. It was called "Whiskey School" and it dealt with a family intervention over alcohol and was terrible. I had to turn it off 40 minutes into it.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I got the films mixed up. Didn't he do 4 of them?
    Tom

5 of them Tom. Here they are in order of release...

Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    The Enforcer
    Sudden Impact
    The Dead Pool

All scored by Lalo Schifrin except The Enforcer which I know you're aware it is scored by Jerry Fielding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    thanks for the info Tim
    Tom