• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    Still on my Monogram Pictures list. I watched an above average film called "Klondike Fury" which was really a decent script, well delivered dialogue. It was done by the King Brothers who had the hit "Dillinger"

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    Will the sky be clear tonight???

Meteors an shit...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Will the sky be clear tonight???

Meteors an shit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVFgI_F4R7Y
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I got the films mixed up. Didn't he do 4 of them?
    Tom

5 of them Tom. Here they are in order of release...

Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    The Enforcer
    Sudden Impact
    The Dead Pool

All scored by Lalo Schifrin except The Enforcer which I know you're aware it is scored by Jerry Fielding.

for now, saw the first 3 smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014
    Tonight it is going to be "The Big Sleep" with Bogie and Bacall.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excellent choice, Tom!
    For me it's a toss-up between this one and To Have And Have Not for their best collaboration.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have that one also Martijn and don't think I didn't give that one some consideration. In fact I may very well choose that one for tonight. My friend wants to see "Dark Passage" more of an underrated one.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2014
    Agnes Moorhead played the nasty in Dark Passage which featured a Waxman score with a little assistance from Steiner.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014
    THE MARK OF ZORRO ( 1940 )

Tyrone Power, Basil Rathbone, and a kick-ass score by the great Alfred Newman = Sunday afternoon joy!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014
    Fantastic movie called Blue Dahila, written by Raymond Chandler. No shamus involved in this one.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014
    The Expendables 2

I think perhaps the subtitles best sum up these films:

[MEN GRUNTING]

[MEN GROANING]

[MEN SPEAKING INDISTINCTLY]

(I kid you not.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not only do I believe you but I've seen it!

I was in the right mood for this pile of tosh when I saw it and I utterly enjoyed it, I wouldn't watch it a second time though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I couldn't stomach the whole thing. I know these are meant to be "dumb action films", but even with that in mind they're still bloody awful. Also, Stallone should never be allowed to use cgi. The brain can spot fake blood splatter a mile off!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014 edited
    How I watched it - drink drink drink drink drink drink drink = dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, that'd do it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    Thought the first one was crap. Wouldn't go near the others if you paid me. (Well, actually I probably would do if you paid me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They're not even good enough for the bargain bin in a roadside fuel shop. Buy de-icer instead. Or flowers for the wife.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I'll buy flowers for Don Davis and de-icer for the wife.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I think I'll buy flowers for Don Davis and de-icer for the wife.

shocked biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen the first one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I guess I won't unless I'm drunk with mates. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've just returned from the Norwegian International Film Festival, but because we produced the festival paper, there wasn't time for that much film viewing.

One of the few I did see, however, was Luc Besson's LUCY.

Man, what a fantastic film! I was actually moved by it -- not so much the story per se, but to see one of my old director favourites return to form so magnificently. In my opinon, this is on the same level as his 80's and 90's highlights (SUBWAY, ATLANTIS, BIG BLUE, LEON, NIKITA and THE FIFTH ELEMENT). All the things that I love about him, and that put him in the socalled 'cinema du look' movement is here -- pulsating audiovisual ideas in blue and red, tight editing, brilliant action, and some interesting crosscuts. And Scarlet Johansson in the middle.

I was so engrossed by the experience that I failed to pay that much attention to Serra's score, but the little I did hear was wonderful. Some modern rhytmical figures, nice melodies and beautiful textures. I can't wait to hear it on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's just a shame about the '10% brain' myth it pushes, regardless of how well it's used a story device. slant
  3. I heard a snippet of an interview with Besson where Damon Albarn was said to be "providing the music" and I was confused since Serra wasn't even mentioned. Seems that the Blur frontman penned a new song for the film.

I am not sure if the bit of the interview I heard was a bit misleading - it was heard on the Steve Wright show, a show not known for rigour - but Serra's contribution was completely ignored.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's strange. I didn't know abuot Albarn's involvement.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Steven wrote
    It's just a shame about the '10% brain' myth it pushes, regardless of how well it's used a story device. slant

yeah slant rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Makes no difference. This is not a plausible sci fi in any sense of the word. It's more a device through which Besson can explore all kinds of crazy, delicious, audiovisual ideas.

I'd love to hear what you think once you've actually seen it (I presume you have not).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, you sort of missed my point there. I said regardless of how well it's used as a story device. I'm still mildly interested in seeing this film!

I wouldn't criticise Star Wars for having sound in space, because most people already know this isn't the case, and it's a perfectly acceptable (and enjoyable) artistic license. But this is a case of explicitly promoting a common myth about the brain, which is misinformation.

So yes, it's not a particularly harmful myth - but it's still false. And it's irritating when people come away from watching this as though they've just learnt something about neurology.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I hear Luc Besson used 4% brain capacity to make this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Renegade Girl (1945) with Ann Savage. Savage was a hard looking blonde who had a short but incredible run with the 'B' movies in the 40's. This was a western with the typical plot of the Jayhawkers in Missouri.
    Tom