• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2014
  1. Drive over to Greenwood Studios / Iver. Maybe they need another Gamorrean.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Squeeeel!

OMG shocked

Not seen that one. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some of the comments on YT clips are barrel scraping dregs. I watch quite a lot of old boxing matches on YT and those really attract the keyboard warriors. There's some seriously deluded, racist, small dicked prats out there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a fair summation of Indy IV I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Drive over to Greenwood Studios / Iver. Maybe they need another Gamorrean.

Kudos to your frame of reference, Captain.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's a fair summation of Indy IV I'd say.

Yep! I read that comment too. Simplistic but not inaccurate wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One of the better 'B' movies ever made was "Detour" starring Tom Neal and Ann Savage. Dialogue from Savage like you wouldn't believe and Neal played the role of the sap. In real life Neal lead quite a checkered history killing his wife and putting Franchot Tone in the hospital over Barbara Payton.
    http://www.oldies.com/product-view/0906D.html

This collection for $6.98 is an excellent value.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014 edited
    Just saw the broadcast of the Monthy Python reunion show.

Well, it was better than I had expected, but there are definitely some warts here and there. The tempo and edge seem to be plotted down to pensioner level, which is to be expected.

But overall, the pleasure here is seeing the legends on stage, performing their greatest hits.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I saw it on German TV about three weeks ago. I agree with your assessment. Nice, but much nostalgia involved here.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014 edited
    Even with some dodgy writing Capaldi's entry as the new Doctor was a great entry in what looks to start off as a very interesting season! I loved the slap-bang opening of the new season, and the new theme tune (which, in interesting juxtaposition tpo the pre-reboot series, becomes increasingly more electronic).

The plot was a re-hash of sorts of my favourite episode ever (I'll refrain from naming it to avoid spoilers), and while interesting and creepy enough, was too derivative to be a stand-out episode per se (although it may be a kick-off to something bigger...guess we'll have to see in the rest of the season).

But the excellent writing for Clara (the lovely Jenna Coleman, who is not only exceedingly easy on the eye, but as a character is quickly developing into my favourite reboot companion (although rumour has it she'll be leaving soon. Or worse. sad ) ), the presence of my all-time favourite sidekick Strax and a dinosaur coupled with the fact that Capaldi not only retains his Scottish accent (yay!) but also brings a much stronger sense of gravitas and moral dichotomy to the role than Smith did or could, makes me look VERY much forward the rest of the season!
    (And it doesn't hurt that the teaser at the end for episode two had several Daleks, recognising the Doctor again...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    Steven wrote
    I mostly can't stand her in the Marvel films. I despise her character. More so than that Nazi Richard Dawkins.

Yeah all that black widow Marvel thing isn't suiting her. Or she, the role, i don't know. And what' up with the way she talks for this character? Look / listen to her and then go see "DON JON". It's like she's a wholly different actor / human being, so what gives?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Her super power is apparently being a cunt. I really hate her in the Marvel films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw i watched captain america 2 last week and i found the score working surprisingly good in the film. And that winter soldier rival / character, has his own joker-like motif if you noticed and works pretty, pretty good. What's wrong with people these days? how's this any inferior to the overly-celebrated noise-fest by Zimmer for amazing spiderman 2? (yeah, watched that film too btw).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's not just inferior it's insultingly, awe-inspiringly inferior (and not just to Spider-Man 2 but to every other film score I've ever heard / seen in context).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    I mostly can't stand her in the Marvel films. I despise her character. More so than that Nazi Richard Dawkins.

Yeah all that black widow Marvel thing isn't suiting her. Or she, the role, i don't know. And what' up with the way she talks for this character? Look / listen to her and then go see "DON JON". It's like she's a wholly different actor / human being, so what gives?

I thought Don Jon was surprisingly good film, and Scarlett was excellent (and loathsome) in it!
    All things considered though, I'll take Jenna Coleman over Scarlett Johansson any day.

...in a parallel dimension in which I rule the galaxy, and stunning women do my every bidding.
    I'm actually writing fan fiction about this.
    Anyone care to read? It's about 17000 pages to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    It's not just inferior it's insultingly, awe-inspiringly inferior (and not just to Spider-Man 2 but to every other film score I've ever heard / seen in context).

It is also inferior to milk that is two weeks past its use-by date, to Gordon Brown's period as the UK's Prime Minister, to Diet Coke and to people who wear baseball caps indoors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are those that deny Jackman's score ever happened. That's how bad it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

...in a parallel dimension in which I rule the galaxy, and stunning women do my every bidding.

Yes. Is it available as an ePub?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry, hardcopy only.
    ...some of the pages may be a bit sticky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I understand. I've spilled many a coffee too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

I thought Don Jon was surprisingly good film, and Scarlett was excellent (and loathsome) in it!
    All things considered though, I'll take Jenna Coleman over Scarlett Johansson any day.

Yeap, great film, loved it, and Scarlett was just drop-dead gorgeous in all aspects in that film, acting included. I wonder how she comes as stiff and numb and generally unlikable in the Marvel films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Erm, why? Really eager to hear a simple explanation. I found it worked better on film and on cd, in comparison to Zimmer's noise-fest and extremely old-fashioned and terribly cheesy (on film especially) leitmotif.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Really eager to hear a simple explanation.

Because it's shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I thought it worked very good in the film. Especially during the opening sequence where Captain Brony leading his team fly in the ship mission. And whenever the clearly-inspired-by-Nolan's-Joker-character Winter Soldier dude appeared.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm guessing you're referring to the screeching sound, not the actual character himself? (Since there's nothing remotely Joker-like about this particular character.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I thought the character reminded me of Joker as well. The way he brought chaos whenever he stepped in, and his coldness. And his outfit too. Also that shooting the car and then rolling over him scene was a direct lift off the Dark Knight. But yeah, not really his backstory though (bff's bromance with Captain America)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Even with some dodgy writing Capaldi's entry as the new Doctor was a great entry in what looks to start off as a very interesting season! I loved the slap-bang opening of the new season, and the new theme tune (which, in interesting juxtaposition tpo the pre-reboot series, becomes increasingly more electronic).

The plot was a re-hash of sorts of my favourite episode ever (I'll refrain from naming it to avoid spoilers), and while interesting and creepy enough, was too derivative to be a stand-out episode per se (although it may be a kick-off to something bigger...guess we'll have to see in the rest of the season).

But the excellent writing for Clara (the lovely Jenna Coleman, who is not only exceedingly easy on the eye, but as a character is quickly developing into my favourite reboot companion (although rumour has it she'll be leaving soon. Or worse. sad ) ), the presence of my all-time favourite sidekick Strax and a dinosaur coupled with the fact that Capaldi not only retains his Scottish accent (yay!) but also brings a much stronger sense of gravitas and moral dichotomy to the role than Smith did or could, makes me look VERY much forward the rest of the season!
    (And it doesn't hurt that the teaser at the end for episode two had several Daleks, recognising the Doctor again...)

I thought the opening episode was OK. Capaldi was fine, as was Coleman, but as usual I can't stand Moffat's writing style (neither the dialogue nor the whimsical, poorly structured plotlines). For every episode of his that I see, I'm reminded of how much I miss Russell T. Davies. Oh, well. Nothing to do about that.

I'm hoping for some good suspense episodes this season.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    I thought the character reminded me of Joker as well. The way he brought chaos whenever he stepped in, and his coldness. And his outfit too. Also that shooting the car and then rolling over him scene was a direct lift off the Dark Knight. But yeah, not really his backstory though (bff's bromance with Captain America)

Well, yes. I suppose in that sense you could also say Captain America is like Batman because he wore a suit and fought for justice. wink
  3. Steven wrote
    Well, you sort of missed my point there. I said regardless of how well it's used as a story device. I'm still mildly interested in seeing this film!

I wouldn't criticise Star Wars for having sound in space, because most people already know this isn't the case, and it's a perfectly acceptable (and enjoyable) artistic license. But this is a case of explicitly promoting a common myth about the brain, which is misinformation.

So yes, it's not a particularly harmful myth - but it's still false. And it's irritating when people come away from watching this as though they've just learnt something about neurology.

I've gotta say I'm mystified by the offence this particular issue has caused. What in the zeitgeist can account for the ire this high concept has attracted over all others? I hear people all the world speaking like Steven does here with equivalent indignation. dizzy

I also defy anyone to tell me that most of the people I encounter in my day are using more than 10% of their brains. If they're using the lot then the distribution of grey matter is truly inequitable.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am