• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    biggrin

True, I wasn't a big fan of Kick Ass. Bryan Cranston was the most interesting character BY FAR.

But I LOVED the monster scenes. I thought there were moments of Spielbergian quality direction.

And the music!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

True, I wasn't a big fan of Kick Ass.

Oh... riiiiiiiiight. That's where he was from. He was awful in Godzilla.

If I could cut out all the bull shit I'd have a pretty darn entertaining 10 minute short.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lol

His wife was hot though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

True, I wasn't a big fan of Kick Ass. Bryan Cranston was the most interesting character BY FAR.

But I LOVED the monster scenes. I thought there were moments of Spielbergian quality direction.

And the music!

punk

Absolutely. And I adored the long-distance shots of the monsters which just stayed there (instead of endless shaky-cam close-ups) and observed, Antonioni-style. Especially the brilliant airport scene.

The characters weren't that important to me in this case. If it had been up to me, there wouldn't have been any humans in the film at all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Especially the brilliant airport scene.

I nearly got up out of my chair and cheered when I saw that. How do we eliminate all air travel from the island? Domino effect. One plane toppling over another was superb. But that only lasted 4-5 seconds and then the rest of the film continued. suicide

Thor wrote
    The characters weren't that important to me in this case.

They aren't important but they eat up 95% of the film's screen time. If you are going to do that make them interesting. They weren't therefore the film sucked!

Thor wrote
    If it had been up to me, there wouldn't have been any humans in the film at all.

beer
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, why does the MUTO looks eerily similar to the Cloverfield monster? And didn't a good chunk of this NEW Godzilla film remind you of the 1998 version, especially that opening title sequence?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, the opening reminded me of a cross between JURASSIC PARK and ALIENS. I dug that part.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    this is definitely one for me to avoid. thanks all
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I loved it, Tom, but my taste pretty much runs counter to everyone else's here.

But it also depends on your interest in monster movies, of course. If you're not interested in that in the first place, then yeah -- it's better to avoid. If you do, however, I heartily recommend it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    No, the opening reminded me of a cross between JURASSIC PARK and ALIENS. I dug that part.

Huh? You're not even in the same ball park.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can tell you Thor that I enjoyed the film "Them" and "King Kong" of course.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, the 'dig' sequence was very JURASSIC PARK-y. Then when they went into the cave, it was very ALIEN. I love how the film references other films throughout while keeping its own tone and style AND having a unique stamp (there are definite trademarks that run across this and Edward's previous film, MONSTERS).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm talking about the opening title. The Nuclear testing. Basically the same opening title sequence from the 1998 version.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, yeah. Sure, there's a similarity there. Not necessarily a bad thing for me, as I liked that film too and references in general.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But wasn't this film made so that audiences would forget about the 1998 version? Instead they reference it QUITE a bit.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Was it? I don't know.

Although there are some narrative similarities, I find that the approach of the two films is almost opposite. From the gung-ho histrionics of the 98 version to the toned-down, more serious and philosophical approach of the 2014. I like both approaches.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never entered my mind.
    If anything I thought it was an excellent reference to several of the latter-day ToHo films.
    I really, really liked the 'ant on the ground' approach (which runs contrary to all Godzilla films before) rather than the classic catch-as-catch-can approach with Godzilla and <random monster> basically having a 20 minute wrestling match.

I thought the choice to have Godzilla as a 'protagonist' was inspired, and I loved his portrayal as an utterly irresistible 'force of nature'. In that, it is more like a natural disaster movie.

I *did* get out of my seat when his spines started crackling. I *never* thought they'd dare have him breathe his radioactive fire....but they DID! It was all I could do to keep me whooping out loud!

I thought it was a great, highly entertaining, clever film, with thoughtful and effective pacing, stunning photography, EXCELLENT use of 3D...and I cannot wait for the sequel! (Announced for 2016!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I *did* get out of my seat when his spines started crackling. I *never* thought they'd dare have him breathe his radioactive fire....but they DID! It was all I could do to keep me whooping out loud!

Ha! I had the same reaction! I love moments like this, and it reminds me -in an era of great television- why I love movies.

When you walk away wanting a Godzilla-fighting-a-Muto statue, that's the sign of a fine piece of entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Godzilla reminded me of the Star Wars prequels. A movie with some great moments but no glue to hold it all together. The pacing was attrocious. I didn't mind the Jaws/Jurassic Park hour long build up to finally reveal Godzilla but one roar and then a cut to something else was a big, BIG mistake.

When Godzilla finally roared his first roar I was ready for battle number one. Instead Gareth Edwards stupidly cuts away and we see highlights of what would have been a spectacular opening fight on a TV in the background. WTF?

Imagine if Spielberg cut away from the T-Rex's first appearance in Jurassic Park. T-Rex tears down the electric fence , walks into frame ready to stir up some shit and then BLAM - a cut to a lame conversation between Hammond and someone else. 10 minute later we cut to a Jeep in the trees and have to wait another HOUR before we see more dino-action. suicide

Edwards teased and teased and teased and teased and teased and teased... sleep

However, the "spines crackling radioactive fire" bit was down right jaw dropping. But again, it's a 5-10 second bit of pure awesomeness in a terribly, utterly dull film dominated by snoozaroo human characters.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's interesting, Erik. Many of the things that annoyed you were actually things that I liked about it -- the fact that it went against convention and relied on suggestion rather than explicitness all the time, like every other monster/action movie these days.

Guess it depends on whether you like suggestive/more laidback forms of staging rather than full-on 'see everything'-type staging.

I've always been very receptive to films that combine hints of arthouse aesthetics with the blockbuster formula, like this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well put, Thor.
    Yeah, although I see where Erik is coming from, I am well on board with your point of view.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surprisingly, as am I. I did find the use of exposition a wee bit convenient in places (especially the one in Vegas), but it's a minor quibble. But I thought the news reports, on the whole, were used to great effect.
  1. I'm still wondering about the eye to eye exchange between Godzilla and Cranston's son. What did Godzilla try to tell him? "Oh crap, here I go again, thanks for not killing me"?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ A perfect example of Edwards channeling the 1998 film. Ugh!

-Erik-
  2. Steven wrote
    Surprisingly, as am I. I did find the use of exposition a wee bit convenient in places (especially the one in Vegas), but it's a minor quibble. But I thought the news reports, on the whole, were used to great effect.

I haven't seen the 2014 film so far. But the original film back in 1954 also used news reports as a dramatic device. That might be a reference.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not against news reports as a way of telling the story however when you come to expect a BIG battle between the two monsters after an hour of patiently waiting for SOMETHING to happen and then the scene abruptly cuts away... well, FUCK YOU! And then we only get to see brief highlights of the said epic battle on a TV in the background of the scene... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU! crazy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm still wondering about the eye to eye exchange between Godzilla and Cranston's son. What did Godzilla try to tell him? "Oh crap, here I go again, thanks for not killing me"?

Yeah, see, it's a prehistoric lizard.
    I think Godzilla was trying to tell him "Moves. Therefore food. But too small. Plus pain. Ow.".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

I haven't seen the 2014 film so far. But the original film back in 1954 also used news reports as a dramatic device. That might be a reference.

Accccctually that was the American version where Raymond Burr was spliced into the original.
    So these weren't actual dramatic devices. Just a vehicle to get an American actor in the frame to make the film more palatable to american audiences. smile
  3. Actually it wasn't. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It most certainly was.