• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No. It. Was. Not.

I am well familliar with both versions of the film because that original flick is everything that ever interested me concerning that franchise, so take that as a given. (The 1997 film is fine but it is not Godzilla.)

The original Japanese version, you know, the one that was produced entirely in Nippon, I mean the original unaltered film, the one without any American actor in it, the freaking original film,

er, what was I gonna say?

Ah, yes, that original version does indeed use news reports as a story telling device. In two or three occasions wee hear tv reports alongside the protagonists, and there is one famous scene in which reporters report live from G's attack on Tokyo from the top of some building that is then teared down by G. killing the reporters.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    (The 1997 film is fine but it is not Godzilla.)

It isn't. It also isn't fine, nor from 1997. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, fair enough Captain.
    I -evidently incorrectly assumed- you were talking about Burr's prominent reporter role.
    My apologies.

I don't think though the device was used particularly strongly in the '54 version.
    But the neither was it in the 2014 version.
    So basically you're quite right dizzy : it may well be a stylistic echo!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Ah, fair enough Captain.
    I -evidently incorrectly assumed- you were talking about Burr's prominent reporter role.
    My apologies.

Ba! Nonsense. No offence meant or taken right?

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of course not. beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    glad to avoid this one
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, you've said.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't mind the Jaws/Jurassic Park hour long build up to finally reveal Godzilla but one roar and then a cut to something else was a big, BIG mistake.

This was one of the major plus points for me. It did what no other films do these days and showed restraint. Just look at garbage like Pacific Rim that starts CGI shitting everywhere within the first ten minutes and doesn't let up. It's tiring watching that for two hours. When Godzilla finally does start fighting it's fucking epic.

And I think it was Steven who mentioned the film has some great Spielberg inspired moments. I haven't seen it since it was out at the cinema in April but I still remember the rail bridge sequence, the airport train of death, and when Godzilla rocks up in San Francisco as highlights.

And yes, the chain of exploding planes at the airport is the best shot in the movie - I couldn't have been grinning wider when I saw that. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't mind the Jaws/Jurassic Park hour long build up to finally reveal Godzilla but one roar and then a cut to something else was a big, BIG mistake.

This was one of the major plus points for me. It did what no other films do these days and showed restraint. Just look at garbage like Pacific Rim that starts CGI shitting everywhere within the first ten minutes and doesn't let up. It's tiring watching that for two hours. When Godzilla finally does start fighting it's fucking epic.

One hour was enough restraint. Any more waiting for Godzilla to do something and now you 're just being an asshole!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I didn't mind the cutaway from the airport (as much as I'd like to have seen that), but there was a second one later in the movie where I did think "aww come on", but luckily about a minute later the fight actually started.
  3. "Godzilla" '98 review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-iqrA-vGK4
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I didn't mind the cutaway from the airport (as much as I'd like to have seen that), but there was a second one later in the movie where I did think "aww come on", but luckily about a minute later the fight actually started.

Once Wantanabe said "Let them fight", which was 30 minutes before end credit roll, the film should have been a non-stop 30 minute battle between 'Zilla and the MUTO. I might have forgiven Gareth for all the other bullshit if he had done that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. justin boggan wrote
    "Godzilla" '98 review:

Yeah, that's really an enterntaining film. GODZILLA '98 I mean, not that silly YouTube ego trip. In fact it is my favourite Emmerich movie. The only one I thuroughly enjoy. MOON 44 and STARGATE are decently entertaining. ID4 I found good back then but I find it unwatchable today. Everything else Emmerich made is utter rubbish.
    O, forgot about DAS ARCHE NOAH PRINZIP, his graduation film. That one is good, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Once Wantanabe said "Let them fight", which was 30 minutes before end credit roll, the film should have been a non-stop 30 minute battle between 'Zilla and the MUTO. I might have forgiven Gareth for all the other bullshit if he had done that.

-Erik-

Crikey, you really hate this film. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "Godzilla" '98 review:

Yeah, that's really an enterntaining film. GODZILLA '98 I mean, not that silly YouTube ego trip. In fact it is my favourite Emmerich movie. The only one I thuroughly enjoy. MOON 44 and STARGATE are decently entertaining. ID4 I found good back then but I find it unwatchable today. Everything else Emmerich made is utter rubbish.
    O, forgot about DAS ARCHE NOAH PRINZIP, his graduation film. That one is good, too.

I'm a big Emmerich fan, actually. I like what he's doing, his whole approach to the artform.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I find some of his films very enjoyable but there are some stinkers and Godzilla's one of them, for me anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I'm a big Emmerich fan, actually. I like what he's doing, his whole approach to the artform.

Are you constantly high? uhm Can you at least share some of your drugs?
  5. Every Emmerich film I've seen, before I too caught on and stopped watching them, is a big epic shit on the artform of film, if you ask me.

At best the Stargate film was okay, but it's greatly overshadowed by a long-running TV series (even in it's weakest moments). About the only good thing that came out of any Emmerich film: a handful of good scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I hated Stargate. Independence Day is entertaining. Hated Godzilla. Hated The Patriot. The Day After Tomorrow is entertaining. 2012 is entertaining. 10,000BC is beyond awful. Can't remember any others, don't think I've seen them.

The terribly bland scores his films have had after The Patriot are a real shame, because however bad some of the films are, they could at least have inspired proper film composers to write some decent music.
  6. I thought WHITE HOUSE DOWN was surprisingly fun. Still dumb (like all Emmerich films), but better than any of his other films from the last lot of years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    That's interesting, Erik. Many of the things that annoyed you were actually things that I liked about it -- the fact that it went against convention and relied on suggestion rather than explicitness all the time, like every other monster/action movie these days.

Guess it depends on whether you like suggestive/more laidback forms of staging rather than full-on 'see everything'-type staging.

I've always been very receptive to films that combine hints of arthouse aesthetics with the blockbuster formula, like this.

It had great audiovisuals, no? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Every Emmerich film I've seen, before I too caught on and stopped watching them, is a big epic shit on the artform of film, if you ask me.

At best the Stargate film was okay, but it's greatly overshadowed by a long-running TV series (even in it's weakest moments). About the only good thing that came out of any Emmerich film: a handful of good scores.

Emmerich is full of shit. White house down was one of the worst films i've seen in years, what a lame excuse for throwing money away. Independence Day was also one of the cheesiest and most ridiculous major films ever, imo as well. I guess i don't understand his type of thinking at all. Is this meant for laughs? is it parody? self-parody? or is it dead, 100% serious ffs?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

Dinosaurs are only on screen in Jurassic Park for a total of fifteen minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Emmerich doesn't succeed every time, of course, but when he does it's brilliant. I didn't particularly care for WHITE HOUSE DOWN or ANONYMOUS (I was actually surprised to see him as the director of the latter, a Shakespeare/conspiracy-type film without any of the doom and gloom and patriotism).

For me, he's a bit like Wolfgang Petersen in some ways, especially related to the satirical view of American patriotism. But in other ways, he's more like Irwin Allen -- always on the lookout for more spectacular ways to envelop the audience, esp. in the disaster film genre.

But mostly, he's like himself. He's interested in the effects that disasters in any given shape have on the human psyche and group dynamics. Especially if you can stage that with.....wait for it......some great AUDIOVISUAL ideas, of which there are plenty.

For me, it doesn't really matter if it's Antonioni or Kieslowski on one hand or Bay or Emmerich on the other -- I like directors who do MORE than just pure storytelling and/or dialogue. Who use the medium of film for what it's worth.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

Dinosaurs are only on screen in Jurassic Park for a total of fifteen minutes.

It's monster movie making 101: Don't show your monster until you absolutely have to.

Almost every reason Erik hates this new Godzilla film is pretty much every reason I love it! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

For me, it doesn't really matter if it's Antonioni or Kieslowski on one hand or Bay or Emmerich on the other -- I like directors who do MORE than just pure storytelling and/or dialogue. Who use the medium of film for what it's worth.

That's all very well, but I've noticed that your general line of reasoning only makes sense if movies were shown in art galleries. But they're not. They're shown in cinemas. People go to the cinema, generally, to watch a story (even those who primarily go to see EXPLOSIONS and FIGHTS and BOOBIES - like me for example).

Even though film is an AUDIOVISUAL™ medium, movies need interesting characters and/or a good story to tie the AUDIOVISUALS™ together, otherwise the audience gets bored. (Unless you're constantly high or happen to share a name with certain Norse god.)

I agree the story should be told through AUDIOVISUALS™ as much as possible, this is why most of us love film, but they still actually need to tell a coherent story, and this is where we need a decent script. Regardless of how you interpret the AUDIOVISUALS™ to fit some weird abstract artistic notion you have swimming around in your head, scripts make or break movies. No amount of impressive imagery will save a movie from a bad script, even though the imagery might have value in itself.

Of course you'll just say I've got a narrow perception of what film really is and my point will forever be lost on you. But remember, we're taking about mainstream movie making here. Most aren't trying to be some abstract, high art avant-garde, AUDIOVISUAL™ experience - they're just trying to tell a goddamn story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm not sure most people in general, like you say, go to the cinema for a story... wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I'm not sure most people in general, like you say, go to the cinema for a story... wink

I think you've missed my point. It's probably true that most moviegoers are more concerned with special effects and pretty actors than 'watching a story', but whether they admit it or not, they're also watching the film because they expect at least some kind of narrative thread. The films that have good stories, plus good visuals, are the ones people remember and enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

That's all very well, but I've noticed that your general line of reasoning only makes sense if movies were shown in art galleries. But they're not. They're shown in cinemas. People go to the cinema, generally, to watch a story (even those who primarily go to see EXPLOSIONS and FIGHTS and BOOBIES - like me for example).

Well, you're bordering very close on argumentum ad populum here, Steven.

While it is true that 'story' is at the centre of mainstream cinema, it does not automatically follow that film as a medium ends there. Otherwise, people would be reading books instead, and we would not be having socalled 'arthouse cinema'.

Thank God that film is more multifaceted than that, and that even inside a huge, story-driven blockbuster format, one can find elements that have more of an arthouse ideology (like Emmerich or Bay or Spielberg or Scott etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

(...) pretty actors (...)

Scarlett Johansson love . Beeewwwbbbbbssss love