• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014
    THE LEGO MOVIE

It's awesome! One of the most visually dazzling movies I've seen since... maybe Tron: Legacy. Incredibly creative! Eye candy to the nth degree! Batman's entrance (Batman's song is outstanding! "Darkness... No parents... Super rich!") and the Star Wars cameos were gut busting. I couldn't wipe the tears away from my eyes fast enough! The screenplay was brilliant! I would love for writers to get an Academy Award nomination. The music was spot on! Voice casting was amazing! Great, GREAT movie!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014
    I can't believe I still haven't seen it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014
    I enjoyed it, it's a very entertaining film, but I didn't quite have the same 'revelating' experience as Erik. I thought it was a very solid film, with a bit of corny message at the end. (Though one person's corny is another person's deep and thoughtful I suppose.)

But the CG. Christ, the CG. The only thing that really gives it away as being CG, for the most part, is the fact that you just know it would have been far too much of a ball ache to have actually made that in stop-motion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ... the bit at the end where the Cid is "mounted" on his horse and the Organ plays....OMG! Film music to image nirvana.

Is that the bit with the 'religious sound'? I can't remember where it is in the film, but I love that cue -- brief as it is.

It certainly is.
    Magnificent scene, scored to absolute perfection.
    What a film! What a score.

Really, really, REALLY trying to ignore his very disturbing latter-day political views, I really miss Charlton Heston. What a screen presence!
    ...and I miss Rozsa. Of course. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014 edited
    I'm with you Martijn. Politically I prefer to remember the Heston who marched for civil rights rather than the one who was president of the NRA.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    According to Wiki, Marlon Brando, Burt Lancaster and Rock Hudson all turned down the roll of Ben-Hur before Heston got it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    According to Wiki, Marlon Brando, Burt Lancaster and Rock Hudson all turned down the roll of Ben-Hur before Heston got it.

And The Naked Gun himself, Leslie Nielsen, auditioned for the Messala role. I have the deluxe DVD set from a few years ago, and there is actually footage of these auditions.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really? I'd like to see that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Someone put it on Youtube, I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4jG0MfzYM
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fascinating. Still, thank goodness they gave the role to the excellent Stephen Boyd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Absolutely. Boyd has a far more menazing or authoritative screen presence.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just endured the last 30 minutes of HOCUS POCUS ( 1993 ), a silly arse bed knobs and broomsticks evil pantomime style witches film starring Bette Midler in make up that made her look like a goofy and slightly less terrifying version of Margaret Thatcher.

John Debney's saccharine score was an endurance test too. A sort of cross between John Williams E.T. and Close Encounters if you can imagine an OTT rubbish version of those scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    A sort of cross between John Williams E.T. and Close Encounters if you can imagine an OTT rubbish version of those scores.

Even if I could, I'm not sure I'd want to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've not heard this score outside of the bit of film I saw, I dunno? It might sound good as a stand alone. In the movie it was hideously overwhelming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I had the Debney soundtrack for a while. It wasn't bad in its very overt Elfman/Williams pastiche style, but a bit overbearing over the course of a CD. Never seen the film, and have no intention to.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just remember a cat being killed and coming back to life? uhm
  1. Wasn't that Pet Sematary? wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Absolutely. Boyd has a far more menazing or authoritative screen presence.

He was also, I am led to believe, more amenable to being called Shirley.
  2. I very much prefer a transsexual to a gun nut.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dances With Wolves

I loved this film when I was younger but it's been a long time since my last viewing. I can see its flaws more clearly now - but there's an awful lot to admire in it, not least of course its sensational score - one of the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I imagine I'd have a similar reaction were I to watch it now. I LOVED this film when I was a teenager (when I first saw it), but I'm never in the mood for films like this anymore. I want 'splosions and spaceships and laser battles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you tried the Star Wars prequels? You'll love them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I also want them not to be a steaming pile of dog shit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I just remember a cat being killed and coming back to life? uhm

Yeah, something like that rolleyes

Don't concern yourself and pretend a film called Hocus Pocus never existed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hocus pocus alakazam... and it's done!

What were we talking about?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lasers and 'splosions and starships and shit, y'know, good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Dances With Wolves

I loved this film when I was younger but it's been a long time since my last viewing. I can see its flaws more clearly now - but there's an awful lot to admire in it, not least of course its sensational score - one of the best.

I remember when it came to my local theatre in 1990. I was 13 at the time, and it had a 16 rating, if memory serves. I wanted to see it, and I think my dad considered taking me (parental guidance was allowed below that age, I think). But it never happened, so I had to wait for the VHS release, after which it became readily available among some of my class mates. It was a time when violent films were "cool" to watch -- the storyline wasn't that important.

I don't think I've seen it again since.

The theme, however, is my favourite composition by John Barry.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    It was a time when ... the storyline wasn't that important.

How you've changed since then.