• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Unlike the characters, I had a choice about being in Purgatory. wink

I came to this thread, read that comment and thought you had said something very witty that I didn't understand. But now I've come back and you didn't say what I thought you had said, which was

franz_conrad wrote
    Unlike the characters, I had a choice about being in Paraguay. wink

(I'm not saying that what you actually said wasn't witty.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Any views on Interstellar? Open question.

Any more views, you mean?

Indeed. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    See it for yourself. The things you like and the things you don't like -- both of these things I think I can explain.

Well, I do want to see it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Lots of interesting things in it. Not - for me - that emotionally engaging until the closing minutes. And while people will say it's the science or this plot idea or that one there's a few things about the way its made that are responsible, and those other things become problems because of these.
  3. Interesting to read the various comments on Under The Skin. And I think that the idea of background affecting a response to a film is particularly significant in this film.

I loved the film. Partly because I think that it caught the feel of modern urban life in the city. The scenes from the van, with Scarlett watching life go by was right just right - which is not surprising as it was just filming "real life". And the scenes with the guy who took her in later in the film, the estate where he lived was so real.

The people, the city, the life led by all the ordinary people is something I recognise and it grounded the film in a very real place. This made the thought of having someone anonymous person/entity essentially stalking the people very real.

The feel of the film is just like a documentary.

I liked Levi's score from when I first heard it - and it was her music that got me wanting to see the film and try to understand the music better. And hearing Levi talk about the music, and what all the different aspects of the score are related to the whole experience added even more to both music and film.

Score and film are definitely near the top in terms of end-of-year, best-of lists (though that means more when it comes to music rather than films I've seen from 2014).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Same for me Alan-- you've articulated it well.
  5. Just watched the extended Desolation of Smaug. Only really worthwhile extra stuff was related to Beorn. And they still have the awful last 30 minutes in the forge; that bit where they have the asbestos wheelbarrows.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just watched the extended Desolation of Smaug.

Apparently the epiphany that struck Michael while watching Lost has yet to catch up with you.
  6. And yet I watched DOS after my attempt at LOST. what does a man know after all?
  7. Interstellar

The movie's a necessity to watch one time or another in your life, I'll give you that. Spectacular pictures, plus I was surprised to see human deception and failure in it. But that final act, no matter how emotionally it made me is just utterly stupid. I mean I accepted the turning points of equal emotional meaning in AI and Contact, but those were at least handled the right way (for me). Here it's just utterly ridiculous.

Zimmer's score is good, though I'll have to hear it outside context first. But what immediately surprised me the novelty in his music and the tone constantly shifting between Morricone's Mission to Mars, and for some strange reason 2001 (or maybe that's me).

Anyway, a good film but I don't think I'll see it again any time soon.

7 out of 10
    Give me Inception any time, that movie offered the thrill I was actually expecting from this one
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Interstellar

The movie's a necessity to watch one time or another in your life, I'll give you that. Spectacular pictures, plus I was surprised to see human deception and failure in it. But that final act, no matter how emotionally it made me is just utterly stupid. I mean I accepted the turning points of equal emotional meaning in AI and Contact, but those were at least handled the right way (for me). Here it's just utterly ridiculous.

Zimmer's score is good, though I'll have to hear it outside context first. But what immediately surprised me the novelty in his music and the tone constantly shifting between Morricone's Mission to Mars, and for some strange reason 2001 (or maybe that's me).

For me, the influence was Philip Glass (mostly his KOYANIQUATSI) and MISSION TO MARS. When I asked Zimmer about this in a facebook thread recently, he said he hadn't even heard MISSION TO MARS, but he neglected to mention if he had heard the Glass material.

In any case, I love the score in context and am curious as to how it will hold up on CD.

As for the film, I thought that was great too (and I'll be seeing it for a second time this weekend). My only qualm is some of the dialogue and the fact that Nolan could have added a bit more mystery instead of this endless need of his to let all stories come together at the end.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014 edited
    He hasn't heard Mission To Mars?* I was always led to believe he's a huge fan of Morricone. Oh well, it is of course possible, we all remember that James Horner had never heard any Prokofiev. biggrin

*Like you Thor, I mostly hear Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi.
  8. Timmer wrote
    He hasn't heard Mission To Mars? I was always led to believe he's a huge fan of Morricone. Oh well, it is of course possible, we all remember that James Horner had never heard any Prokofiev. biggrin

indeed smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Timmer wrote

And I wouldn't be surprised if he'd heard it via Watchmen, the first real fusion of that music with outer space. (Although the organ chord idea is pretty much 2001.)

Maybe saying you haven't heard something is the advised legal position given the lawsuit involving Tyler bates.
  10. I had this exact conversation with Hybrid Soldier a couple days ago. Hans claiming not to have heard Mission to Mars smells more than a little fishy to me as well. Influences are fine and a part of every artist's work, just fess up already! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

And I would be surprised if he'd heard it via Watchmen.

Maybe saying you haven't heard something is the advised legal position given the lawsuit involving Tyler bates.

A film composers version of the 5th amendment. wink
  11. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

And I would be surprised if he'd heard it via Watchmen.

A film composers version of the 5th amendment. wink

Maybe that's the same excuse composers use when they are accused of rehashing their older work over and over again?
  12. "J.T." (1969)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VpARu1EOfI

A CBS television movie that, according to trivia on IMDb, got such good reviews so quickly, that they aired it again in prime time.

J.T. is a young black kid living with his mother and her mother in a poor apartment complex. He skips school, steals, and is chased by other kids. Then he finds a homeless cat living in an abandoned building, that has a bad eye. He starts nursing it back to health.

What a nice film. Positive messages, hope, life and death, all wrapped up around a kid and his homeless cat. All set around Christmas, too, with a good ending.

The kid's acting could have been better, but it certainly didn't hurt it overall.

The score by Frank Lewin is short and unremarkable, though a decent montage piece in the middle is okay.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I had this exact conversation with Hybrid Soldier a couple days ago. Hans claiming not to have heard Mission to Mars smells more than a little fishy to me as well. Influences are fine and a part of every artist's work, just fess up already! rolleyes

Well, you can get sued for that, as some cases in the genre show. However, I don't think Morricone ever bothered. I mean, The Lion King and The Mission?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I had this exact conversation with Hybrid Soldier a couple days ago. Hans claiming not to have heard Mission to Mars smells more than a little fishy to me as well. Influences are fine and a part of every artist's work, just fess up already! rolleyes

Well, you can get sued for that, as some cases in the genre show. However, I don't think Morricone ever bothered. I mean, The Lion King and The Mission?

The Lion King and The Mission? "King of Pride Rock" and "On Earth as it is in Heaven"? There may be simularities in terms of structure and orchestration but then the estate of Carl Orff might sue every composer who ever worked with a symphony orchestra and a choir again.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  15. I'd rather point out This Land, if we're speaking of the original album smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014 edited
    LEGEND ( 1985 )

On Film 4 right now.

I wasn't going to bother watching this, though it's not without its enchantment it is basically a great looking, expensive pantomime but what caught me was that upon watching the opening I realised this is the cut with Jerry Goldsmith's score, something I had not experienced since I saw the film on release.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    I'd rather point out This Land, if we're speaking of the original album smile

I checked that and I see what you mean. The first minute is quite similar. A great cue that contains so much original material that would call that first minute a nice tribute to Morricone.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    Oh goody! THE TIME MACHINE on Film4 starting right now, that's me sorted for the next two hours love

I'd hope that everyone reading knows I'm talking about George Pal's 1960 film, not the soulless and hideous remake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What remake?
  17. Ironically, that remake (the 2002 film, scored by Klaus Badelt) was actually directed by a direct descendant of the author.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    What remake?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine_(2002_film)

I wouldn't bother.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ironically, that remake (the 2002 film, scored by Klaus Badelt) was actually directed by a direct descendant of the author.

I know. Shame on him.

What both films also have in common is Australian lead actors.
  18. It's not a good movie and certainly not a good adaptation, but I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the 2002 The Time Machine, Lord knows why. Probably a lot of it has to do with Badelt's very enjoyable score, which came along quite early in my film music collecting.