• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I always thought EVENT HORIZON was a bit underrated. It's a bit more consistent than SUNSHINE.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Watched 2012 for the first time yesterday. John Cusack and family must be one of the most fortunate families in cinematic history!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched 2012 for the first time yesterday. John Cusack and family must be one of the most fortunate families in cinematic history!

Loved that film, as I do most Emmerich spectacles (despite however ludicrous the concept is).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It was certainly spectacular and entertaining. As long as you don't expect much it's fine. But, 3 hours is a long time for the movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Too long and too rediculous for my taste. Characterization on the level of DuckTales. Emmerich overstepped the mark here imo.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Again, seeing an Emmerich film for deep characters and profound complexity is NOT going to give you satisfaction. Quite the contrary, I feel that the more outlandish the disaster concept, the better!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched 2012 for the first time yesterday. John Cusack and family must be one of the most fortunate families in cinematic history!

Loved that film, as I do most Emmerich spectacles (despite however ludicrous the concept is).

The film is every kind of stupid but I did enjoy it. Where else can you see a plane in flight narrowly missing being hit by a subway train or a submarine crashing into Mount Everest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thor wrote
    Again, seeing an Emmerich film for deep characters and profound complexity is NOT going to give you satisfaction. Quite the contrary, I feel that the more outlandish the disaster concept, the better!

It reminded me much of the old Saturday morning matinee serial films in the tradition of Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon: full of peril-filled scenes where the "heroes" manage to escape despite the odds being heavily stacked against them.

Each disaster facing the group could have been one 30 minute episode and the film was an "omnibus" edition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

I liked 2012, stupid fun but then again all Emmerich movies are as such.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like the way he "thinks" film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I understand some issues around cast availability led to narrative reworking during the shooting of the film, which may explain the film's sharp right turn at albequerque.

For that latter remark, Sir, you deserve plaudits.

RV: Lincoln

Pretty hagiographical, but that's not very surprising for a president whose approval rating is steadfastily in the top 3 in history, even abroad. I very much enjoyed the film's focus on the political arena getting amendment 13 through (at points even remiding me of finer Westwing episodes), even if Lincoln's homelies do get a little tiring after a while (yeah, he has an analogy or anecdote for everything. He's just a simple guy doing the right thing. We get it.). Lincoln was -by all accounts- a superb politician, with the right word for the right people in the right place, and this versatility might have been a little bit more emphasised rather than this seemingly one-trick pony act.

Spielberg deftly sidesteps any melodrama in dealing with his mentally unhinged wife and his children (two of which had died by the timeframe of this film), and makes the film and portrayal stronger for it. In fact, the film steers very much clear from the -at times- overwrought melodrama that Spielberg tends to employ. I seldomly dislike it, but I appreciate him refraining from it.

The performances are simply stellar. Day-Lewis is superb in the title role, supported by a mesmerising Lee Jones.
    But while this worked magnificently in bringing real tension and drama in the Republican camp, It might have worked even better if the Democrat side had similar powerhouse actors in key roles (although, to be fair, that would have been nigh-cameo bit roles.)

Williams' music is fine in context, but nothing I'd want to hear again away from the film...mainly because it seems to have been composed on auto-pilot, reaching the right major heights, blowing the right lone trumpet, putting the right crescendo all at the right place.
    Nothing wrong with it. But nothing surprising either.

All in all, a very worthwhile few hours (it IS a LONG film) that actually had me grab for some books afterwards to read up on the politics and morals of that era.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's certainly a performance-led film. For that reason alone, I enjoyed it. (Admittedly I took it in shifts. This is a film quite literally for the generations.)

I LOVE the score. I completely understand how its thick, Americana-laden tone might grate with some (most notably our esteemed antipodean friend), but for me it worked. I felt myself quite moved in certain scenes thanks to Williams' music.
  6. yeah @Martijn concerning the film
    yeah @Steven concerning the score.

V.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    wordy wordy numb numb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I understand some issues around cast availability led to narrative reworking during the shooting of the film, which may explain the film's sharp right turn at albequerque.

For that latter remark, Sir, you deserve plaudits.

Thankyou thank you. I've been here all week... for the last 10 years or something. shocked
  8. Martijn wrote

RV: Lincoln

The performances are simply stellar. Day-Lewis is superb in the title role, supported by a mesmerising Lee Jones.
    But while this worked magnificently in bringing real tension and drama in the Republican camp, It might have worked even better if the Democrat side had similar powerhouse actors in key roles (although, to be fair, that would have been nigh-cameo bit roles.)

Actually I think I know now how that film could've been more interesting. Tell it from the POV of those opposing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2014
    I love BBC 4's music documentary's

MR BLUE SKY: THE STORY OF JEFF LYNNE

Great doc about a seriously excellent musician.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK is on TV right now. A lot of the cgi looks very iffy now and the film was always very disjointed to me, the highlight being the T-Rex attack on the sleeping camp and the low-light being Jeff Goldblum's unnecessary daughter amongst others.

John Williams score, on the other hand, remains totally AWESOME!
  9. Well, how does the rancor in JEDI look, how do the fighting skeletons in JASON look? These films are all children of their time. For me it contributes to their charm.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, how does the rancor in JEDI look, how do the fighting skeletons in JASON look? These films are all children of their time. For me it contributes to their charm.

Volker

The skeletons in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS are timeless magic, part of the thrill being that you know most of it was done all on his lonesome, such was the huge genius of Ray Harryhausen.

Due to tight editing and shadows we don't really see that much of the Rancor, a fine combination of puppetry and model work.

As for JP2, I'm not really complaining that much about the effects, it still has a nice combination of animatronics and cgi, it's just that some of the early cgi shots still make the flesh look like it's made out of oil paint flavoured blancmange, this was particularly noticeable in the Stegosaurus sequence but is improved covered up by lots of night-shots such as the two early T-Rex attacks, the Velociraptor's sequence and the T-Rex San Diego segment.
  10. The(y) ought to have feathers anyway. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Velociraptors? Yes! wink
  11. Now I had to re-do my typo course only now I got your reply. smile
  12. Just saw:
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

I really like this film, the classy art deco style, the story, Mark Hamill as The Joker. Shirley Walker's score would have graced any big screen Batman film. I'm glad I revisited this film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014 edited
    For anyone interested, here's DEBBIE WISEMAN choosing her top 8 pieces of music to take to a Desert Island.

DESERT ISLAND DISCS

For those who don't know, this is a long ( very long ) running BBC Radio show where celebrities, film stars, directors, musicians etc get invited on to choose music to take away to a desert island.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    For anyone interested, here's DEBBIE WISEMAN choosing her top 8 pieces of music to take to a Desert Island.

DESERT ISLAND DISCS

For those who don't know, this is a long ( very long ) running BBC Radio show where celebrities, film stars, directors, musicians etc get invited on to choose music to take away to a desert island.

As you would perhaps expect, her choices were superb and included The Beatles, Olivier Messien, Dave Grusin, Debussy and John Barry.

Yes. Lady has great taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregje wrote
    Saw The Lone Ranger a while back and enjoyed it a lot! Just so much better than I expected.
    The score is great too. While watching I noticed some wonderful music that is not on the score album...

The original radio and television program was a classic example of how classical music was the soundtrack.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All Is Lost

Well, that was a barrel of laughs.
  13. I just zapped into an episode of Midsomer Murders which is a very popular show here in Germany where it is called Inspector Barnaby. I was suprised to discover that the British PM David Cameron has taken over the leading part of the inspector.
    I checked and found that Neil Dudgeon has succeeded John Nettles as the nephew of the original inspector. However, Neil Dudgeon does look like David Cameron. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do a google search, you're not alone (I can certainly see it too).