• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014
    LITTLE NIKITA ( 1988 )

The great Sidney Poitier and the tragic River Phoenix star in this film about....

Oh I can't be arsed! RUBBISH!

I kept it on in the background because Marvin Hamlisch's score was bloody good and unfortunately not available anywhere.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Kubrick is a moron for the way he treated North.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm enjoying going through 28 episodes of the Lone Ranger.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    LITTLE NIKITA ( 1988 )

The great Sidney Poitier and the tragic River Phoenix star in this film about....

I kept it on in the background because Marvin Hamlisch's score was bloody good and unfortunately not available anywhere.

Never heard of this film. Sounds like a prequel to Luc Besson's NIKITA.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014 edited
    @Leftovers

Lindelof said the show will never reveal [spoiler]WHY the people in LEFTOVERS have disappeared[/spoiler], probably because he still gets backlash from disappointed LOST fans about the explanations he gave in that series' finale, whenever he opens his mouth. I understand his decision from a bashed-to-death-writer-standpoint, but from a viewer´s standpoint, this decision makes me not wanting to waste a single minute with this series. I much prefer explanations to being left in the dark. If the explanations are shit, so be it, but simply not giving one will always look as if you were lazy as hell with your writing.

And yes, I did like the ending of LOST, eventually, and I really enjoyed the ending of BSG.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LITTLE NIKITA ( 1988 )

Never heard of this film. Sounds like a prequel to Luc Besson's NIKITA.

No relation Thor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Nikita

Nut gut.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
    Still watching the BBC series Merlin. I got the complete box with five seasons for my birthday in june and each weekend we watch a couple of episodes. My daughter Quinn loves it too so she watches with me.
    smile

We almost finished season 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Saw The Lone Ranger a while back and enjoyed it a lot! Just so much better than I expected.
    The score is great too. While watching I noticed some wonderful music that is not on the score album...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I much prefer explanations to being left in the dark. If the explanations are shit, so be it, but simply not giving one will always look as if you were lazy as hell with your writing.

And yes, I did like the ending of LOST, eventually,

Same here. beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Just watched David Cronenberg's Crash again on YouTube in order to hear Howard Shore's score again in situ. I could only find the whole film in French - which didn't help - and it all seemed so slow.

Shore's score was still a positive highlight. And the upcoming complete release of his score on Howe Records adds a couple of tracks from the film that weren't featured on the original release. But most of the rest of the extra tracks seem to have been dropped from the final film. But, these additional cues do add a bit of variety to the original album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched THE GODFATHER last night.
  2. That was an offer you couldn't refuse. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Bregje wrote
    Saw The Lone Ranger a while back and enjoyed it a lot! Just so much better than I expected.
    The score is great too. While watching I noticed some wonderful music that is not on the score album...

That film had some problems, sure, but it really got much worse notices than it deserved. I wish both it and John Carter had done better - they both had strong scores, and both represent a genre of escapist adventure film that I really enjoy and which seems to, sadly, be out of style in this day and age of endless superhero adaptations and darker thriller offerings. Neither is a great film, but neither deserved to crash and burn as they did.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    That was an offer you couldn't refuse. wink

It was!

One of the greatest films ever made. FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    One of the most boring films ever made. FACT!

Fact indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My bowls are cleared after watching that film. That's how bored I am by it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    One of the greatest films ever made. FACT!

Fact indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    My bowels are cleared after watching that film. That's how much I shat myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. Demetris wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I much prefer explanations to being left in the dark. If the explanations are shit, so be it, but simply not giving one will always look as if you were lazy as hell with your writing.

And yes, I did like the ending of LOST, eventually,

Same here. beer

It took me some time, but when I did a rewatch, I had warmed up to the idea [spoiler]that the "alternate universe" stuff from Season 6 actually wasn´t. I found the idea to have the characters reconnect in afterlife to be able to pass over quite interesting and, finally, a lot more touching than when I saw it for the first time.

The cruel and, at times, unnecessary deaths of some characters in the real universe, however, left me a lot more sad this time, knowing that they wouldn´t be erased eventually, which I was thinking for the whole time when I watched it during the first time. I was really bummed when I found out that the alternate universe wasn´t and they they really had been dead.
    [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    One of the factest films ever made. GREAT!

Fact indeed!
  5. Godzilla 2014 (the new one)

Well I liked the first hour (the build up). Mostly because the trailer didn't show anything of that the film goes mostly about. The surprise, the build up up to the point we finally see Godzilla. Then when it's finally about the fights, it becomes boring. There's a great visual style here and I like how it really pays hommage to the old Japanese Godzilla films. But character wise this is a joke, you don't care for any character (something Emmerich's Godzilla film did do so enjoyably. Plus Desplat's score started to irritate me as well in the film.

For all intended purposes, give me Emmerich's 1998 movie anyday. It was fun, had silly characters which I cared for a hell of a lot more and it had an amazing score. This one is a real monster movie but with zero feeling towards the characters and a score that did do more harm in the picture than outside. A good monster film yes, but really rather forgettable.

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. I cared to give most of Emmerich's characters a slap in the face, but I can't disagree with you regarding Arnold vs. Desplat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I will never watch the 1998 Godzilla again. Dreadful movie and the crappiest Godzilla design of them all ( Godzilla. Twinned with Bruce Forsyth and Jimmy Hill... FACT! ) and I agree with Edmund, except I'd have slapped the cast in quick drying cement and drowned the whole sorry-ass bunch of them.

I would give the 2014 Godzilla 8/10. I do agree with Thomas on one thing, the characters. I didn't care a jot for any of them.

Desplat's score is better than Arnold's but I enjoy Arnold's more than Desplat's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

One of the (many many many) problems with the '98 'Zilla movie is that ALL characters are the comic relief, and none of them seem to show any real fear. It's a complete farce. It's not even so bad it's enjoyable-- it's just bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I share Japanese studio Toho's feelings on the '98 Godzilla, and its reaction once the rights reverted to them.

To be sure: Godzilla: Final Wars is not the best Godzilla film out there (in fact, it's pretty poor, playing like a 60s Marvel comic where the overall story is nothing more than "hulk smashes fifteen random adversaries one after another"), but this scene made it worthwhile enough to become a part of my eclectic collection.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Godzilla 2014 (the new one)

Well I liked the first hour (the build up). Mostly because the trailer didn't show anything of that the film goes mostly about. The surprise, the build up up to the point we finally see Godzilla. Then when it's finally about the fights, it becomes boring. There's a great visual style here and I like how it really pays hommage to the old Japanese Godzilla films. But character wise this is a joke, you don't care for any character (something Emmerich's Godzilla film did do so enjoyably. Plus Desplat's score started to irritate me as well in the film.

For all intended purposes, give me Emmerich's 1998 movie anyday. It was fun, had silly characters which I cared for a hell of a lot more and it had an amazing score. This one is a real monster movie but with zero feeling towards the characters and a score that did do more harm in the picture than outside. A good monster film yes, but really rather forgettable.

6 out of 10

This fellow speaketh truth. beer

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wellllll...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn