• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    2010 is an okay film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014 edited
    (Plus it has chief Brody.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    2010 is a very good film.

Agree! Great David Shire score, particularly the orchestral New Worlds theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    2010 is a very good film.

Agree! Great David Shire score, particularly the orchestral New Worlds theme.

Yes. 2010 is as good as any sequel could hope to be.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven wrote

It's certainly unique, and gives the film a unique 'colour'. But I can't help but see keyboard cat at his keyboard when I hear the score.

Which, you know, given his score turns out often to be the cheesy ad music floating through the background of scenes, couldn't possibly have been part of the point...
    Every sci-fi film benefits from a score that tells you something about that world. And the commercial optimism of BLADE RUNNER is unconvincing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Blade Runner - The first movie I saw on BluRay on a large TV screen, and it had me convinced to upgrade to BluRay within five minutes. God, this looks fantastic. I´ve seen it a couple of times again, since then, even more often than in those 30 years before. I agree that it is a GREAT movie. And very boring, too, at times.

But don´t you dare say anything against its score OR Ridley Scott. The score is a marvelous piece of perfection, and Ridley Scott is a fraktastic director. His movies look awesome. Not the best hand with scripts, though.

2001 - The best SciFi movie ever made...? ... ... ... ... ... ... Well, yeah. I can live with that. But this can be quite a snorefest, too, if you´re not willing to accept the way it handles things.

2010 - The best sequel 2001 could hope for.

EDIT:
    I will completely get why those will never be named best SciFi movies, but for me, personally, they are -
    Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan and Aliens. Interestingly, I think both their predecessors were better in handling the SciFi aspect, but these two are worlds apart from them if you hate to be bored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Greatest sci-fi film ever made is 2001. Fact. (Probably.)

Agree. Unmatched.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    No, it was just a reference to a number of opinions being expressed over a multitude of threads right now that bewilder me.

I've seen BLADE RUNNER maybe 30 times over the years, analyzed it to death in my thesis and it STILL continues to give me pleasure and new elements each and every time.

30 times? ffs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph, there's a movie called 2010?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

You didn't know this D?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    2010 is far more straightforward than 2001, obviously, but it's not bad for what it is -- and it's certainly one of Peter Hyams' best films.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
  3. Demetris wrote

And there is also one called 2012. wink

And 1984, 1941 ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have seen 2012 (crap) . Didn't know there's a sequel to 2001? (that's what interests me, not the movie's title). Is it any worth it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This one, right? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086837/ 'cause the director's work doesn't really echoe to me, is this any good? i adored 2001 (and i don't expect anything near as good though).
  4. 2010 Odyssey II / The Year We Make Contact

Is one of my favourite science fiction films ever. I love it!

- Dr. Floyd?
    - Yes?
    - The respons is: I was David Bowman.
    - I can't accept that identification without proof.
    - I understand. It is important that you believe me. Look behind you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    2010 Odyssey II / The Year We Make Contact

Is one of my favourite science fiction films ever. I love it!

- Dr. Floyd?
    - Yes?
    - The respons is: I was David Bowman.
    - I can't accept that identification without proof.
    - I understand. It is important that you believe me. Look behind you.

The film isn't without its flaws but there are some real spine tingling moments like the one mentioned above ( and the bit where "Dave" visits his dying mother ). A great cast, Roy Scheider, Helen Mirren, John Lithgow, special effects that have stood the test of time and a decent story. But as Thor said, this is straight film making, don't expect anything as esoteric as Kubrick's film.

I don't think a lot of the score is your cup of tea though D, being very 80's synths ( I like it personally ) except for the fully orchestral and awesome, New Worlds theme.

I'd say it's worth your time.

Dr Floyd - what's going to happen

David Bowman - something wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote

And there is also one called 2012. wink

And 1984, 1941 ...

biggrin

That would be quite an eclectic marathon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    lp wrote
    Beck isn't a very good composer, truth to be told.

...... I never noticed this before, but I didn't write the sentence above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote

tower heist (meh)

This is one of my favorite score of this, and last, year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Transformers - Age of Extinction

There is ONE thing that Michael Bay does really well. He's a great visualist. He knows how to sweeten the eye candy for me to crave more. The staging of his cameras, the flyover, the tracking shots, the dolly moves, use of steadicam, then adding percussive score, the kinetic energy that he bring to an scene, is insane.

But outside of that, he's really isn't a great storyteller. A good one, to a point. There are moments in the movie where I'm completely taken out of it, simply due to the ridiculous way the story was told. For example, why would you show Optimus (in glorious Blue/Red flame job mode) in front of the XSI building (the headquarter of the same people who have been hunting them!) while Mark Wahlberg's character is right inside the cab trying to fly the drone to capture an image of an employee's badge. Why would you show the three Autobots (Optimus Prime included) in car mode, then, two cuts later, show Optimus in robot form while smashing angrily responding to a piece of information within the same shot. Now, I can understand that it they might not have had enough money to render the 3-4 seconds of Optimus transforming, but these types of things happened so many time through out the movie. Cool shots that do not connect from one cut to the next frustrates me, because it really tells me that Michael should have planned this movie better.

Score wise, Steve Jablonsky's effort is a wash. There were some good moments, but most of the new melodies were lost, drowned out by the sound effects. The theme for Tessa was a good choice, only because it was vocal based and heard during the quiet moments. The twist is that the theme is coming from Mark Wahlberg's character Cade Yeager. Coincidentally, these were moments I liked the most, because you actually get to understand Cade and why he does anything. Lockdown's theme were heard for the most part, but it felt a bit under-powered, especially for such a formidable adversary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    lp wrote
    Beck isn't a very good composer, truth to be told.

...... I never noticed this before, but I didn't write the sentence above.

I accidentally edited your post and then deleted it. Beth restored this to tease you wink You didn't write it, i did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jesus, did Bregt have a sex change too!?

I'm so confused...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I'm so confused...

I'm not surprised!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

PICS FOR PROOF!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just finished the first season of THE LEFTOVERS. I loved it! Although I do have some trepidations as far as Lindelof is concerned. He did present an awful lot of mysteries over the course of the season, and I'm always fearing that he'll do another LOST and write himself into a corner without proper resolve. We'll see.

Anyways, the music by Max Richter is absolutely fantastic! And the way he arranged Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" in that last episode was just...well, to die for.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

He's a man now? Crikey, this day is getting weirder and weirder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Just finished the first season of THE LEFTOVERS. I loved it! Although I do have some trepidations as far as Lindelof is concerned. He did present an awful lot of mysteries over the course of the season, and I'm always fearing that he'll do another LOST and write himself into a corner without proper resolve. We'll see.

Anyways, the music by Max Richter is absolutely fantastic! And the way he arranged Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" in that last episode was just...well, to die for.

This started on UK tv last week. Haven't watched the first episode yet. I am so concerned by what you've just written that I might delete it now without watching. I couldn't stand to watch another Lost, something that requires such an investment of time but the writers haven't got a clue where they're going with it and end up making the whole thing a waste of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

This started on UK tv last week. Haven't watched the first episode yet. I am so concerned by what you've just written that I might delete it now without watching. I couldn't stand to watch another Lost, something that requires such an investment of time but the writers haven't got a clue where they're going with it and end up making the whole thing a waste of time.

To be fair, it's far more focussed than LOST. And with LOST, things only started to go completely haywire after the first couple of seasons. I think it's worth a shot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's my worry though really, things started going wrong when they tried to "resolve" some of the daft stuff they'd written. When it was just the daft stuff being set up without explanation, it was entertaining enough.