• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Captain Future wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ Reading Star Wars & BSG books in our youth: beer

And not only in my youth. smile V.

Don´t worry, my reading list is full of geeky stuff, too.

To compensate I fought my way through an old german translation of the Iliad last year.

Take that, you "Tolkien is hard to read" whinies. biggrin
  2. Johann Heinrich Voß, right?

It's concidered one of the most iminent works of translation within German literature. Voß' "Ilias" ranks with Luther's translation of the Bible and the Shakespeare translation of August Wilhelm Schlegel & Dorothea Tiek.

He lived in Jena for some years, which is near Weimar. There he befriended Goethe and Schiller. I love this period!

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Funny that you'd use Weimar as a frame of reference for Jena when Jena is the larger city! But it is probably better-known. tongue
  4. Weimar ... the Athens of Germany. love

About 1800 Weimar was almost twice a as big as Jena. (9000 / 5000) That would change only when the industrialisation came about.

Weimar was the residence back then. It was the capital of Saxony-Weimar, one of the many misicule German states. In Jena there was the university of the dutchy. The Duke invested much more money in his university and the urban infrastructure of Jena then in his residence in Weimar. Sadly that didn't catch on later.
  5. Voß it is.

Once you´ve bent your head around how these verses work, reading them feels like riding on a giant ocean wave. Amazing stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014
    It works SO much better in the original Klingon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You task me. You task me and I shall have you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Admiral? Admiral?
  7. It´s a trap! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    When reading Tolkein, hours can seem like days.
  8. I know - isn't it wonderful? smile smile
  9. Even the smallest person can die from getting a Tolkien book thrown at him/her.
  10. Use the giant red hard cover single volume edition of the "Ring". It'll probably work. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014
    THE VIKINGS ( 1958 )

It's on Channel 5 now. How many times have I seen this film from a child until now? Cripes knows!?

I'm still immediately sucked in, oh, and what a fecking great score by Mario Nascimbene. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Captain Future wrote
    Use the giant red hard cover single volume edition of the "Ring". It'll probably work. wink

Are you mad? Smeagol loves his red hard cover single volume edition. Smeagol will never throw something this precious. Do it. Do it. Gollum. Gollum. Smeagol will use his replica of Anduril instead. Yes. Smeagol will hit them with the pointy end, that´s what Smeagol does. Agree? Agree? Gollum. Gollum.
  12. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Use the giant red hard cover single volume edition of the "Ring". It'll probably work. wink

Are you mad? Smeagol loves his red hard cover single volume edition. Smeagol will never throw something this precious. Do it. Do it. Gollum. Gollum. Smeagol will use his replica of Anduril instead. Yes. Smeagol will hit them with the pointy end, that´s what Smeagol does. Agree? Agree? Gollum. Gollum.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2014
    My vote goes to Poland and that girl with the bucket and stick. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynchrotones
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2014 edited
    ICELAND
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014 edited
    12 Years a Slave

Meh. The movie isn't bad, but I expected more, so am a little disappointed.

Rating: 7

Brief encounter

The first two thirds of the movie was ok though it didn't really get to me, but the last third was incredibly emotional and I almost broke down in tears. Such a well-made and affecting movie and Rach's 2nd piano concerto works wonders. A fine example of how well classical music can work in movies.

Rating: 9

Nymphomaniac, vol. 1

I expected to like it, but found it incredibly slow and boring. Some scenes were visually stunning, but the slowness killed it for me.

Rating: 3

Midnight cowboy

Good performances from Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman. Found it a bit boring though. Nice music, in particular Barry's main theme and that Harry Nilsson song.

Rating: 6

Dogville

Interesting, but sloooooow and the characters talked so quietly throughout the movie that I could barely hear them, even with the volume turned all the way up. I guess I'm not a fan of Lars Von Trier. Of his stuff, I only really liked Riget (The Kingdom) and I thought Melancholia and Antichrist had a few enjoyable moments.

Rating: 5

Falling skies

Just watched all three seasons. It started out ok-ish, but I got more into it later on and am looking forward to the 4th season. It's far from flawless though. The characters are caricatures and the acting ranges from good to atrocious. Child actors nearly always ruin it for me, as they very rarely know how to act, and this series has several kids having to act beyond their abilities. The writing isn't always brilliant, with some illogical stuff here and there and it is rather predictable at times. But somehow it still became quite addictive.

Rating: 7
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014 edited
    I think you're not that big a fan of socalled 'art movies' that move slower than Hollywood epics, plindboe, would that be a fair assumption? But at least you give it a try, that's cool. I don't recommend you to check out the films of guys like Tarkovsky or Bela Tarr, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014
    Thor, yes, that would be a fair assumption. But I can be ok with slow movies if there's some payoff, or if the acting/visuals/atmosphere for some reason works for me. Even though Dogville was extremely slow, I found it kinda interesting and I didn't really feel that bored with it; but I would have enjoyed it more if it had been edited down to 2 hours. I will stay far away from Tarkovsky and Tarr, thank you.

Peter smile
  13. I don't know... A good tarkovsky is better than anything on that list. If ever a filmmaker made a case for slower thinking, its him. wink

By the way, I think you do have taste in art house films. You picked all of those to watch in the first place! smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I watched the first seven and a half minutes of Pain and Gain. I don't know why, really. I chose not to watch the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I watched the first seven and a half minutes of Pain and Gain. I don't know why, really. I chose not to watch the rest.

Brilliant film -- the second best of 2013, IMO -- and as you know, one of the best scores of the year too.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. dizzy dizzy dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Yes, I did indeed know that.

Did you know that Vladimir Putin's all time favourite film is Priscilla, Queen of The Desert?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You should tell him that, he'll be well impressed.