• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    Stop-motion was used when there was nothing better available, just like any special effect with the intention to be as believable as possible. Had they at least Jurassic Park quality CG when they made King Kong, I'm sure CG would have been used. Nobody's going to opt for stop-motion in favour of CG if realism is what they're going for (barring any rare and unique circumstances where it might... though I'm struggling to think of an example). But stop-motion is a wonderful thing, and can still be used on projects that revel in its unique effect. I know it's 15 years old, but Chicken Run is a fine example.
  1. And art house! (Shaun, I mean.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You keep bringing up art house? What are you talking about specifically?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    And art house! (Shaun, I mean.)

Yes, well, whatever art house is I'm sure that would fall under the umbrella of that which revels in its unique effect.
  2. I happen to love Shaun, so for me personally, it's art house.

Nonsense aside, I mean animation shorts, done e.g. by graduating film students. Like this one. I would call this art house. And stop motion is an artistic means of expression here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015
    Absolutely! Plenty of great stop-motion still being produced, whether it's big commercial actors like Aardman or more artsy fare.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Yes, stop motion has charm, like, say, tin toys. Both represent concepts of times gone by. Farewell, both of you. See you in the museum.

smile Volker

I hope i make a good exhibit! smile (probably not)
  4. SHAUN THE SHEEP is art house?

I'm sure 80% of its principal audience would be surprised to hear that. But I guess if that's what the adults who like it need to say to tell themselves why they like it... wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015 edited
    I missed that! It's a hard stretch to think of Shaun as art house, I would think more like 99.99% of its audience would be pressed to accept that. biggrin

Wonderfully done commercial animation. Simple!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015
    I don't know if anyone has ever suggested that SHAUN is arthouse. I certainly didn't. But when asked where stop motion still has a place, Aardman was an obvious commercial choice. And arthouse movies with more free-form experimentation another. Check out, for example, Helene Kjeldsen's THE OUTING -- which combines Jim Jarmusch-like live action with Tim Burton-type stop motion, with a song by Nick Cave:

http://www.cphfilmcompany.dk/portfolio- … g/?lang=da
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    And art house! (Shaun, I mean.)

Yes, well, whatever art house is I'm sure that would fall under the umbrella of that which revels in its unique effect.

This was what I was catching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015
    Inside Out
    Pixar's latest outing goes all abstract on us with feelings (in the form of little flittery Jungian archetypes living inside your mind) having feelings.
    Some very clever conceptual representations of thinking processes and memories (I won't even begin describing these. It's honestly better seen than read) make this a fun-filled and smart film.
    Although it doesn't reach the same lunatic heights as Ratatouille or Wall-E (or my very favourite The Incredibles) it is much better than the fairly by-the-numbers Cars, Up or Brave .

A lot of the charm lies in the voice acting talents of Amy Poehler (as the indefatigable Joy) and Phyllis Smith (from the US The Office fame) as her despondent counterpart Sadness.

Bit maudlin' at times (although mercifully brief), bit predictable (hey, it's gotta be fun for the kids too), but overall I'd definitely say Pixar is back on track! Big thumbs-up!

Ant Man
    Yeah. He can shrink. And talk to ants.
    That's it.
    Even Marvel probably realised that this is the lamest super hero on the block, because except for roughly 15 seconds of exhibition in which Big Bad (Corey Stoll) explains that this will 'revolutionise warfare', this is utterly glossed over in favour of non-stop action, some very good 3D, and a fantastic End Battle that takes place in its entirety in a kid's bedroom.

No, it's not a new Iron Man, and it desperately could have done with more charismatic leads (Paul Rudd looks like a cartoon version of a Handsome American, and Corey Stoll continuously seems to want to hiss "curse you, GI Joe" through clenched teeth), but it's off-set by some great other casting: Michael Douglas (MICHAEL DOUGLAS!!!) as the aging Hank Pym and Evangeline Lilly (sighhhhh love ) as his gung-ho daughter are excellent.

There are some truly annoying "comical" sidekicks (another point: the ever-present levity in Marvel films finally and irrevocably goes over the top here from tongue-in-cheek to grating), and the dialogue is NOT good. But the special effects and 3D are excellent (especially the bathroom scene is crazy!), and Christophe Beck's score is full of fresh bravura.

So, definitely not the best Marvel outing. But a fun night out, absolutely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Inside-Out deserves a chance at the Best Screenplay Oscar. Being an animated film, it probably won't stand a chance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015
    New trailer for SPECTRE

Spot the dose of John Barry in the music wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey. Jesus's girlfriend is looking a bit old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    New trailer for SPECTRE

Looks promising.
    And yeah, SOUNDS great!! I *do* hope the music is from the actual soundtrack.

Crikey. Jesus's girlfriend is looking a bit old.

I think she looks absolutely stunning for a 50-year old. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've seen better.
  7. Timmer wrote
    New trailer for SPECTRE

Yup. The hint at the 007 theme is great. I also liked the skeleton dress.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    New trailer for SPECTRE

So you didn't spot OHMSS? I'd be surprised ( very surprised ) if this is from Newman's score. Personally I doubt it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    So you didn't spot OHMSS? I'd be surprised ( very surprised ) if this is from Newman's score. Personally I doubt it.

Yeah, when I heard that magnificent On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme (one of the best things Barry ever did for Bond) my heart sank. I think it is HIGHLY unlikely Newman would us Barry as a base like that.
    More's the pity. sad
  8. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    New trailer for SPECTRE

That's what I meant. On most compilations it's called the "007 Theme" (from OHMSS) in contrast to Norman's Bond theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, it also confuses me now and then. Great theme, but that whole score is fantastic. My favourite.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never seen the OHMSS theme referred to as the 007 theme. Barry's 007 theme, written for From Russia With Love but used also in a couple of subsequent scores, is a different piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Game of Thrones Season 5

After all my defense of this show, this season has subsequently bored me. I'm on ep. 8 (I think), and it's not pulling me back to watch the final two episodes. It's a trudge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And whoever plays Sansa Stark is a terrible actress. Just awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    And whoever plays Sansa Stark is a terrible actress. Just awful.

yeah

Steven wrote
    I'm on ep. 8 (I think), and it's not pulling me back to watch the final two episodes.

I stopped after episode 9, for reasons stated before.
    But fully agree with you on the the episodes before that one. Massive shrugs abounding.
  9. Southall wrote
    I've never seen the OHMSS theme referred to as the 007 theme. Barry's 007 theme, written for From Russia With Love but used also in a couple of subsequent scores, is a different piece.

Ah. OK. That 007 theme is referenced though. In that case I missed the OHMSS theme indeed. I am currently listening to other music that is too great to interrupt. But I will revisit the trailer later. It would be interesting to exactly point out what we here at what point.

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    On most compilations it's called the "007 Theme" (from OHMSS)

Not even once, it has never been called that.

For the OHMSS reference, it starts at 1.40 into the trailer.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

For the OHMSS reference, it starts at 1.40 into the trailer.

Shit. I mixed up everything. The OHMSS theme is this one, right?.
    But that FRWL theme that James referred to is also referenced at some point I believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Prolly region-specific.