• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    Hercules - Fernando Velázquez

Okay. Second play through brings some clarity.
    It's such an unevenly mixed bag really.
    Best described as containing thin slices of awesome segments mixed into a soup of mediocrity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For at least today it is going to be Warriors of Virtue/Davis. I'm really fascinated about certain aspects of this but you'll have to read my review to find out.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know the score very well, it's easily my favourite Davis CD!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why you hate The Matrix? angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Warriors of Virtue is good!

Matrix is GREAT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UN HOMME ET UNE FEMME - Francis Lai

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - The Sum of All Fears

A very good score (I believe Goldsmith's best in his final years) to a very bad adaptation of a brilliant novel. I could say a lot about what the film did wrong with Clancy's source material. The irony of it is that, having filmed it before, they didn't believe that the Islamists could pull off such a plot and then during post-production 9/11 happened...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    Far Cry 3 - Brian Tyler

This is good. A bit different.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014 edited
    NP : VARESE SARABANDE: A 30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION - Lots of people

Pawel's mention of Tears of The Sun influenced my playing of this.

83 tracks from 83 films. I only have 11 of the scores represented.
  3. Does anyone know a CD that contains the short, pre-cinemascope version of Newman's 20th Century Fox Fanfare ?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Uncharted 3 - Greg Edmonson

Now that I'm finally playing the game I can appreciate the score all the more.
  4. The game is one of the best I've EVER played.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is brilliant. As is The Last of Us by the same studio. I feared for my PS3's life playing that game...
  5. Oh yeah. It shows that games are storytelling art, especially The Last of Us. If you know a thing or two about thematic storytelling (not musical) and a bit about script structure, you'll find out that both Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, ESPECIALLY the latter is one of the most emotionally and structurally rewarding pieces of storytelling to ever hit gameplay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or indeed if you're human and have a brain capable of discerning a good story from a bad one.
  6. Well, I think that Naughty Dog pushed the envelope, because games did have great stories before, but I don't think they were structured around a theme (let's say, solitude, as in The Last of Us).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Last of Us is certainly an envelope-pushing game, and worthy of the praise it's received. Games are considerably more sophisticated these days (whether it's in terms of story or simply the graphics), and that trend is only set to continue.

Journey is a particularly good example of the artistry in modern games. Like The Last of Us, it is a genuine work of art and hardly worth comparing to the shoot 'em up games that saturate the market.
  7. I have to play Journey one day, though that one is purely experience gaming as opposed to actually trying to have a story?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes. It's quite something. It's essentially the opposite of playing GTA or Call of Duty online.
  8. Southall wrote
    Far Cry 3 - Brian Tyler

This is good. A bit different.

I agree with your latter point. I do not agree with your former point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought it was good at the time I typed it (about four minutes into the album), but half an hour later I already disagreed with myself and turned it off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: QUEENS OF CARTHAGE (Brian Byrne)

Bliss! Especially the opening song.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Planes: Fire and Rescue - Mark Mancina

The first score was one of my most pleasant surprises in 2013, with probably that year's best theme, so this one's been on my radar. About 15 minutes in, sounds like more of the same: warm, pleasantly upbeat orchestral writing all around. Not quite as 90s-sounding this time around. Not a whole lot of that main theme to be heard either, which is possibly a good thing; the new one, unfortunately, is based on the four chords of pop, but is in the upper half of iterations of that progression that I've heard. A bit of Chicken Run's main theme in a few cues (or should I say The Great Escape). Also, second cue "Propwash" contains a nice little homage to The Big Country - that's two scores this year now!

Fun so far, but not as good as the first. We'll see how it continues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Guardians of the Galaxy - Tyler Bates

I'm a fan of the film so I'll turn a blind eye to whatever flaws (temp-track love etc) this score contains.
    It has some nice moments. It has some cool musical sections scattered throughout. I like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RIPLEY'S GAME - Ennio Morricone

This is great!
  10. NP: Jane Eyre (1944) - Bernard Herrmann
    Naxos re-recording

This is superb.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Who's conducting it Captain?
  11. Some guy named (just) Adriano. Largely self taught conducter and composer as the liner notes say. The Slovac Radio Symphony Orchestra. They have done a ton of recordings for Marco Polo / Naxos.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks. I knew nothing about this recording and would like to hear it at some point.