• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Which release are you listening to? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    The anniversary one. But it's so good, I'm tempted to listen to the complete score. That's how good it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014
    Turtles Tyler

Predictable, for sure. But good.
  2. NP: Deliver Us From Evil - Christopher Young

A mix of ominous strings and electronic, almost industrial synth soundscapes ala Sinister make up this new album from Young.

Much prefer the more traditional Young orchestral tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think Poledouris was in the temp-track (and actually was the primary composer on the film, but had to bow out?) and Goldsmith wanted to do some kind of a loving homage to Anvil of Crom with the rhythm at the beginning? It was something like that.

Jerry Goldsmith was Paul Verhoeven's only choice (when he direct "intelligent" movies, paraphrasing, natch!). Only the main Conan piece was in the temp, Paul really liked it, and Goldsmith agreed to adapt it for the main credits sequence. I remember listening to Paul talk about this in the director's commentary.

This is not correct. Jerry was not the first person asked. Basil was.

From my Rejected Film Scores website:

(excerpt from an interview)

"BP: When Paul asked me to score Total Recall I had already The Hunt For Red October. It nearly killed me but I had to refuse the assignment, as I don't score two films at once feeling it to be a great disservice to both pictures. His choice of Jerry was perfect and Jerry has provided him with wonderful soundtracks. Paul is loyal but is willing to cast composers like he would any other of his films. He once told me that he utilized Jerry for a more intellectual approach and me for a more emotional approach. It made perfect sense at the time and still does."

But the problem with this being that these films were seperated by two or three years, and Basil was on TR for at least six months. Conflicting.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. One of the most interesting stories also is how Goldsmith went to record the score in Munich, wasn't exactly happy.... and ended up in London. Am I right with the story here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes.

Is the Starship Troopers story out there? I don't think JG was too pleased that he didn't do that one.
  5. Yeah, it was the Graunke Symphony Orchestra.

They didn't do many scores. I tried to compile a list but this is all I could come up with:
    http://en.scorepedia.org/wiki/Graunke_S … _Orchestra
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. NP: Jacob - Iain Kelso

This is an unusual one - and certainly one of the better scores of 2014 so far (though the film itself is from 2011 I think). Surprisingly tender scoring considering the artwork. But as the score progresses, things get darker and darker.

It's nice to hear a restrained score where the composer seems to have taken care in orchestration rather than having to throw everything at the music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Yeah, it was the Graunke Symphony Orchestra.

They didn't do many scores. I tried to compile a list but this is all I could come up with:
    http://en.scorepedia.org/wiki/Graunke_S … _Orchestra

They did The Wind and the Lion, too.
  8. NP: A. I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - John Williams

Vintage Williams' musical story telling. Emotionally stirring.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ninja Mutant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Mutants Brian Tyler

Another perfectly acceptable action score from Tyler.
  9. Alexandre Desplat - Syriana

This score got a lot of backlash back in the day, but I never thought Desplat's music was cold, mathematic or whatever. Yes, it is restrained. The emotions (a huge sense of tragedy) gets under the skin and something more "open" emotionally would have ruined the chess game that the film was. He scored the subtext greatly and has some great action music to boot.

One of the things I like the most about Desplat is his mathematic precision. In a track like Abducted or The Commute the precision of the writing for strings and expression is just spine-tingling. Fantastic score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Ninja Mutant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Mutants Brian Tyler

Another perfectly acceptable action score from Tyler.

frank Nuuugh, bad! baaaaaaaad!! frank

Steven wrote
    Star Trek The Motion Picture:The anniversary one. But it's so good, I'm tempted to listen to the complete score. That's how good it is.

frank Mmmm, good! goooooooood!! frank cool<-cigar
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Yes.

Is the Starship Troopers story out there? I don't think JG was too pleased that he didn't do that one.

Do you have anymore info on that story? I'd like to hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alex North - The Sound of Fury

Great.

Thank God for Spotify, so I can get a better knowledge than I already have. It's shocking how little I know of North's career. Spartacus (the original album) and Goldsmith's re-recording of 2001 is not quite enough. But he will be definitely a composer to my liking.

Good man Pawel. I know North's music isn't to everyone's taste but for those who are receptive North keeps on giving, his music is deeply satisfying way beyond any surface fluffiness.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOLY TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA REMAKES BATMAN - Brian Tyler

THIS SCORE IS RUBBISH!

( if you compare it to Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture )

I have to admit that some of this score is very enjoyable indeed! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christopher Columbus/Sir Arthur Bliss. Another fine offering from the British.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  10. sdtom wrote
    Christopher Columbus/Sir Arthur Bliss. Another fine offering from the British.
    Tom

NP: Christopher Columbus (1949) - Arthur Bliss
    The Slovac Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Adriano. On Naxos.

This is wonderfully Spanish falvoured golden age glory.

Indeed!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think Poledouris was in the temp-track (and actually was the primary composer on the film, but had to bow out?) and Goldsmith wanted to do some kind of a loving homage to Anvil of Crom with the rhythm at the beginning? It was something like that.

Jerry Goldsmith was Paul Verhoeven's only choice (when he direct "intelligent" movies, paraphrasing, natch!). Only the main Conan piece was in the temp, Paul really liked it, and Goldsmith agreed to adapt it for the main credits sequence. I remember listening to Paul talk about this in the director's commentary.

This is not correct. Jerry was not the first person asked. Basil was.

From my Rejected Film Scores website:

(excerpt from an interview)

"BP: When Paul asked me to score Total Recall I had already The Hunt For Red October. It nearly killed me but I had to refuse the assignment, as I don't score two films at once feeling it to be a great disservice to both pictures. His choice of Jerry was perfect and Jerry has provided him with wonderful soundtracks. Paul is loyal but is willing to cast composers like he would any other of his films. He once told me that he utilized Jerry for a more intellectual approach and me for a more emotional approach. It made perfect sense at the time and still does."

But the problem with this being that these films were seperated by two or three years, and Basil was on TR for at least six months. Conflicting.

I stand corrected. Thanks. I'll have to revisit that Total Recall disc now. I can't believe THFRO was made around the same time as TR. I've just never put those two together. Great movies all around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hercules - Fernando Velazquez

One track, "Training" is awesome. I want more like this. But I must say that I enjoyed this orchestral-filled confused-electronics score much more than Brian Tyler's tired/derivative score for TMNT, and Tyler Bates' muddled score for the wonderful GOTG.
  11. "Training" is awesome. "Bessi-Battle" is pretty awesome too. Can't say more because I only made it halfway through the album last night (I don't mean that in a bad way).

But it's another four-chords main theme. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    "Training" is awesome. "Bessi-Battle" is pretty awesome too. Can't say more because I only made it halfway through the album last night (I don't mean that in a bad way).

But it's another four-chords main theme. crazy

The theme get some good reprisal toward the latter half of the score. It shines very brightly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Damned - Frederik Wiedmann

This is somewhat disappointing (he says, with a dose of understatement).
  12. It's VERY disappointing. Wiedmann's been producing some good stuff and I thought that this one might extend that run. But no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too, I was very much looking forward to hearing it.
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Syriana

This score got a lot of backlash back in the day, but I never thought Desplat's music was cold, mathematic or whatever. Yes, it is restrained. The emotions (a huge sense of tragedy) gets under the skin and something more "open" emotionally would have ruined the chess game that the film was. He scored the subtext greatly and has some great action music to boot.

One of the things I like the most about Desplat is his mathematic precision. In a track like Abducted or The Commute the precision of the writing for strings and expression is just spine-tingling. Fantastic score.

Way underrated. He should have gotten the Oscar that went to BABEL.

EDIT -- Slightly misleading since BABEL won the following year. BABEL won for reasons Desplat executed in a much stronger fashion in SYRIANA a year earlier (losing to BROKEBACK, of course).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    NP: TMNT - Brian Tyler

First listen in the car! Outstanding!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. NP: A Whale For The Killing - Basil Poledouris

My first listen to this album...and what a great little score it is too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: TMNT - Brian Tyler

First listen in the car! Outstanding!

-Erik-

You're not being sarcastic are you?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!