• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014
    Captain Future wrote

Well, we did have some pretty decent superhero scores in the meantime. A score like '78's Superman would not work in a modern film.

I disagree with this statement. A grand symphonic score for a superhero film can work today if done and applied properly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Yeah, I don't see why that kind of score wouldn't and couldn't work again. I really don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: TMNT - Brian Tyler

Spinning this one again! This is Tyler strongest album. "Splinter vs. Shredder" just might be the best action cue Tyler has ever written. Holy jumpin'! I love this score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Tyler's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles should win an award for the most predictable score in the history of Hollywood. That being said, it is full of entertaining orchestra and choir moments. If only the chord progressions weren't so terribly familiar...

It's very standard, no thrills, great theme, but all too loud. Expendables 3 is messy and all over the place, just the theme from the previous 2 scores, crushed with a ton of headache-inducing electronica. I haven't heart into the storm, but it surely hasn't been a great year for Tyler.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Abel Korzeniowski's Penny Dreadful might also be his most impersonal score to date, imo. Theme-less, passion-less and all to be expected in the album. Much unlike any previous score he wrote. My my.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Spinning this one again! This is Tyler strongest album. "Splinter vs. Shredder" just might be the best action cue Tyler has ever written. Holy jumpin'! I love this score!

-Erik-

I think with all the heavily mediocre film music out there this year, the slightest presence of a leitmotific theme, no matter how derivative a score is, makes it 'great' these days smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I have no clue about any contemporary games, but I do remember the name Jeremy Soule from the 90s. I found his music somewhat transparent even then when I listened to some of the music on his site, but at the same time very "hookable" and "likeable". And I thought it was cool that he was such a young dude, basically my age.

In any case, I don't know if he has developped since then, since I don't play games anymore (except adventure games from Telltale).

Games these days have sometimes even better scores than films. Grander, orchestral and full of grand themes and great arrangements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Syriana

This score got a lot of backlash back in the day, but I never thought Desplat's music was cold, mathematic or whatever. Yes, it is restrained. The emotions (a huge sense of tragedy) gets under the skin and something more "open" emotionally would have ruined the chess game that the film was. He scored the subtext greatly and has some great action music to boot.

One of the things I like the most about Desplat is his mathematic precision. In a track like Abducted or The Commute the precision of the writing for strings and expression is just spine-tingling. Fantastic score.

Syriana is fantastic, score and movie is beautiful, intimate and emotional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Deliver Us From Evil - Christopher Young

A mix of ominous strings and electronic, almost industrial synth soundscapes ala Sinister make up this new album from Young.

Much prefer the more traditional Young orchestral tracks.

I hear Chris has assistants working for him way and way more these days, maybe, if true, this is also part of the reason + what the younger directors, producers and studio execs ask for these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Hercules - Fernando Velazquez

One track, "Training" is awesome. I want more like this. But I must say that I enjoyed this orchestral-filled confused-electronics score much more than Brian Tyler's tired/derivative score for TMNT, and Tyler Bates' muddled score for the wonderful GOTG.

All mediocrity, those are, imo. I enjoyed Kantelinen's Hercules and Shorter's Pompeii way more than all of these scores. Have you heard them? I think they are two over-looked scores this year.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Well, we did have some pretty decent superhero scores in the meantime. A score like '78's Superman would not work in a modern film.

I disagree with this statement. A grand symphonic score for a superhero film can work today if done and applied properly.

-Erik-

I think the pacing is to fast, the sequences too short, too many cuts, I don't know how to describe it. Plus the other sound elements are mixed too loud for a sweeping symphonic score to work. I have jet so see "Malificent" to experiance that old school score in context. Maybe that film will prove me wrong. Maybe it's just an old school film altogether.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

As a piece of sheer entertainment it's an unqualified success. I don't think it's quite up at the level of Iron Man 3 but it's second only to that as Tyler's strongest album, for me. I've played the hell out of it all week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EPIC (Danny Elfman)

Hints of goodness in several tracks, but also a lot of the whimsical, all-over-the-place Elfmanisms that I dislike a bit. Hoping it will grow on me. I remember enjoying it more in the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Being sarcastic and not really knowing whether they are or not.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still listening to the in-laws release
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

http://justgirlythings.tumblr.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think with all the heavily mediocre film music out there this year, the slightest presence of a leitmotific theme, no matter how derivative a score is, makes it 'great' these days smile

If you had cared to read any of my other posts concerning this score then you'd realize that the theme is my least liked aspect of the score. I think TMNT contains some of the best writing of Tyler's career.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Not sure what the link had to do with sarcasm. I'll write it off to Steve.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Two things worth bearing in mind O Neysayer the Greek: 1) There have been some fine scores released this year, and 2) The 'rose tinted spectacle effect' of looking into the past. wink I'm sure even 1977 had some mediocre scores - but we don't remember them for that very reason!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    SIMON PEGG
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Not sure what the link had to do with sarcasm. I'll write it off to Steve.
    Tom

I wouldn't recommend it. He only replies in sarcasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    SIMON PEGG

punk

I love this man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

-Erik-

If done properly is the key point there. I agree with Mon Capitan insofar as the score is 'camp', but a grand symphonic score with big, memorable themes can certainly exist in most of the new superhero films - if not all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - John Williams

Superb!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now there's a score done properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    1) There have been some fine scores released this year

Dragon 2
    Maleficent
    Godzilla
    Monuments Men
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    TMNT
    Banner Saga
    Deep in the Darkness
    Spider-Man 2
    10^6 ways to Die in the West

I can't even remember the last time I could list ten scores I've enjoyed that much by August. Proper film music is fighting back against the mediocrity, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GRAND THEFT AUTO V - THE SCORE (Tangerine Dream)

Brilliant! I've never played the game, but I've seen some of the gameplay on Youtube.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Under The Skin - Mica Levi

Not enjoyable in the traditional sense but this is one of the highlight scores of 2014.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Definitely lives up to the title, that one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am