• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: TMNT - Brian Tyler

First listen in the car! Outstanding!

-Erik-

I really liked some of it and the theme is very memorable. There is a very good 30 minute album in this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: A Whale For The Killing - Basil Poledouris

My first listen to this album...and what a great little score it is too!

I love this! Gunning is a brilliant and seriously underused talent, he's also very rarely mentioned around these parts bar a tiny handful of us.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: TMNT - Brian Tyler

First listen in the car! Outstanding!

-Erik-

You're not being sarcastic are you?

Nope... besides the weak theme... the rest of the score is a hoot. The album is superb. I never tired of it like I do with most Tyler scores. That theme is REALLY weak though meaning the most unoriginal ever. If Horner gets shit for reusing themes then Tyler should be guillotined.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Okay, just checking. Yeah, I feel exactly the same as you do about it. I was entertained from start to finish. But the theme was so utterly bland and exactly like all Tyler's other themes. Is it too late to keep hoping he will make a breakthrough in this area like the one he made in 2012 with his action writing becoming so much more dynamic and varied?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Iron Man 3 was a step in the right direction, but otherwise I agree. I think the big trouble with Tyler's themes is that he seems to build the melodic line around a very basic set of progressions (four chords more often than not), rather than coming up with a strong melody and then finding interesting harmonies to underpin that.
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I love this! Gunning is a brilliant and seriously underused talent, he's also very rarely mentioned around these parts bar a tiny handful of us.

And he isn't mentioned here either! I feel bad now that it wasn't Gunning that I was listening to but it was only Poledouris!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

And he isn't mentioned here either! I feel bad now that it wasn't Gunning that I was listening to but it was only Poledouris!

I own the Chandos compilation of his. Great album!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Big OOPS!! shame biggrin

That's what happens when I try interacting with the board when I can't find my glasses. I obviously just "read" the NP title and saw it as WHEN THE WHALES CAME. In fact I very obviously just read the word Whale and assumed rolleyes

I do agree with you on the Poledouris score, it's a very fine though short score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One sometimes doesn't know with Erik, Alan
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A newer release from La-La Land "The In-Laws" from John Morris. A catchy theme using a blend of electronics and orchestra.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Huh?
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Huh?

What do you mean by that!?
  4. NP: Skyrim - Jeremy Soule

Quite a collection of very nice tracks in there. No surprises, though. Soule delivers what one expects from a score like this. Good thematic material (but not as much as I´m used to from him). There´s a lot of beautiful "generic" stuff that´s very quiet and more for background uses, but there´s nothing wrong with that: It´s great to listen to while reading fantasy books. Overall, I´d say "it´s good".
  5. I love Skyrim. There's just something about it...whenever one of those gorgeous, sweeping, peaceful cues like "Far Horizons" comes on I just have to stop everything, lean back and soak up the atmosphere. love

Having put about 250 hours into the game may have something to do with it. shame
  6. I understand Skyrim is a game? confused

Volker
  7. Having put about 250 hours into the game may have something to do with it. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    It is, Captain. With a very good score. And it´s very easy to put 250 hours into it, if that´s what puzzles you.

Edmund, if you love Skyrim, did you listen to Soule's Guild Wars scores? More of the same, but even more thematic IMHO.
  8. I've heard Guild Wars 2. Has some good pieces in it, but nothing that matches the majesty and immersive power of Skyrim, for me. Also, I feel like the samples aren't quite as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no clue about any contemporary games, but I do remember the name Jeremy Soule from the 90s. I found his music somewhat transparent even then when I listened to some of the music on his site, but at the same time very "hookable" and "likeable". And I thought it was cool that he was such a young dude, basically my age.

In any case, I don't know if he has developped since then, since I don't play games anymore (except adventure games from Telltale).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I especially love Guild Wars Prophecies - the original Guild Wars 1 - the most. Probably because I played that one for a long time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thor, the game music track that really stood out for me in recent time was this one. I still get goosebumps, especially when I watch this trailer. It´s not by Soule, but it shows off how epic gaming scores have become.

I will agree, though, that it´s reminiscent of the developments in filmscoring in style. I just wanted to express that it´s not 16-bit anymore.

If you´re more into symphonic stuff, try this.
  10. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Huh?

Sorry Tom, but I am not sure what you mean.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Huh?

Sorry Tom, but I am not sure what you mean.

I must have misplaced my babelfish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've heard Guild Wars 2. Has some good pieces in it, but nothing that matches the majesty and immersive power of Skyrim, for me. Also, I feel like the samples aren't quite as good.

For me Guild Wars trumps Skyrim.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All Good Things - Rob Simonsen

Really good, really smart music.
  12. Erik Woods wrote

Which one, Erik? Any favourites?

Also, does anybody know / have a legal source for getting Soule´s Potter game scores?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

36 years and counting. And still we wait for a superhero score that can give this one a serious run for its money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Also, does anybody know / have a legal source for getting Soule´s Potter game scores?

Or Hannigan's - would like to hear them.
  13. Timmer wrote
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

36 years and counting. And still we wait for a superhero score that can give this one a serious run for its money.

Well, we did have some pretty decent superhero scores in the meantime. A score like '78's Superman would not work in a modern film.
    Movies have changed.
    The audiance has changed.
    The late 70s are not going to repeat themselves.

But it's a marvelous score! I cherish the FSM edition of the original recording and the Varese re-recording.

V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Guild Wars: Eye of the North was so good that it made my Top 10 list back in 2007. Brilliant stuff! Here is just one of the many superb themes from the score. Majestic, noble, exciting. I love it!

I'm not sure of a commercial source for hsi Potter music but that stuff is on part with the Williams scores, IMO. Hannigan's included!

-Erik-