• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014
    Still listening to The In-Laws/Morris for reviewing
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    James, thank you for reminding me about McNeely's score, somehow it slipped through the cracks and I never got around to listening to it...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    NP: GRAND THEFT AUTO V - THE SCORE (Tangerine Dream)

Brilliant! I've never played the game, but I've seen some of the gameplay on Youtube.

YES! There's some great music in here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CALVARY - Patrick Cassidy

My gods but this is a beauty!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - Brian Tyler

This is nice to listen to on Spotify but nothing I would want to buy on CD anymore.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI - Malcolm Arnold

Great score. Word has it that Arnold won his Oscar for this on the strength of the Colonel Bogey March ( which he didn't write and I've never liked ), I'd like to think that was not the case.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I did't know that it was within the capacities of a human being to not like the Colonel Bogey March. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Before my next play I just had to play this> CROSS OF IRON which, IMO, is one of the greatest film themes ever composed. If you've never heard it before I strongly suggest you treat yourself to a listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014 edited
    Godzilla Alexandre Desplat

The difference between this and Brian Tyler's action scores (as he seems to be the man of the hour at the moment), aside from the quality of the writing, is that the tracks are part of an overall narrative and aren't interchangeable. That's why I can happily listen to something like this all the way through as opposed to Tyler's scores. (Not to disparage Tyler's abilities, he's a sickeningly talented musician and a very competent film composer - but he ain't no Desplat.)

This is still, by far, my favourite score of 2014.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - David Arnold

The good bits are good!
  3. Steven wrote
    Godzilla Alexandre Desplat

The difference between this and Brian Tyler's action scores (as he seems to be the man of the hour at the moment), aside from the quality of the writing, is that the tracks are part of an overall narrative and aren't interchangeable. That's why I can happily listen to something like this all the way through as opposed to Tyler's scores. (Not to disparage Tyler's abilities, he's a sickeningly talented musician and a very competent film composer - but he ain't no Desplat.)

I completely agree that the nuances of narrative development seem to be lost on Tyler. The first and last action cues in his scores are always exactly the same level of exciting-ness. There's never an action climax to his scores, really. What's more, he treats every type of action scene, be it a fight, chase, battle or what have you, exactly the same way. It's wallpaper, albeit of a particularly thrilling and well-composed variety.

However, I feel like it's a problem that Desplat's Godzilla also suffers, albeit to a lesser degree. Lots of very good action cues, but for me they run together a bit. I haven't listened to it too much since it came out, so maybe that's the problem.

Steven wrote
    This is still, by far, my favourite score of 2014.

Powell's got his nose way ahead in that race for me. Like, Pinocchio ahead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. I'm surprised he hasn't been snatched up by Michael Bay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of that particular misunderstood genius...

The Rock People

Great fun.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - David Arnold

The good bits are good!

I wish the rest of the score was available - there are at least 5 very fine pieces that didn't make the soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Turtles Tyler

Writing my review. I already know that everyone's going to be all miserable and say I'm overrating it. But this is pretty much as good as a straight-up action score in 2014 could be as far as I'm concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014 edited
    It reminds me a bit of Horner's Spider-Man, the musical representation of sticking your middle finger up at all the dullards who say you can't have this kind of expansively melodic, up-front music in a modern action film and make it work. Yes you can.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's really good, but I am convinced there is an even more enjoyable shorter playlist in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There usually is! But in this case I like the whole thing.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And a sequel has just been announced.
  4. Anthony wrote

What, to James' upcoming review?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote

What, to James' upcoming review?

Or perhaps just to me. Southall II: Even More Idiotic
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    It's really good, but I am convinced there is an even more enjoyable shorter playlist in there.

I agree! The whole thing was a bit much but there's still plenty to enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Guild Wars: Eye of the North was so good that it made my Top 10 list back in 2007. Brilliant stuff! Here is just one of the many superb themes from the score. Majestic, noble, exciting. I love it!

beer

It´s such a shame, though, that whoever runs his label is so obviously unable or unwilling to do good work. I had a game code for additional music for one of the GW games that didn´t work, and while ArenaNet at least tried to help (to no avail), Soule´s own company, where the problem seemed to come from, never ever responded to any contact attempt I tried.

And my daughter ordered the 4 CD GW 2 score - I don´t know, two years ago - and although they keep promising "soon", they haven´t been able to ship it yet, although they got her money two years ago. Now I´m sure once it´s shipped, it will be "lost on the way".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Under The Skin - Mica Levi

Not enjoyable in the traditional sense but this is one of the highlight scores of 2014.

Really? I haven't seen the film yet but I didn't finish the score. It certainly is a creepy score.

I'll have to try again?
    Kazoo
  5. Most people don't seem to like it. But there's something about it that just clicks with me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote - 3 days ago
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

36 years and counting. And still we wait for a superhero score that can give this one a serious run for its money.

NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

This time it's the rerecording by John Debney.
  6. ^ One of the best re-recordings ever IMHO. smile

NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Howard Shore
    The original singel disc release.

Way up there.

Volker
  7. Southall wrote
    Turtles Tyler

Writing my review. I already know that everyone's going to be all miserable and say I'm overrating it. But this is pretty much as good as a straight-up action score in 2014 could be as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not miserable at all. I'd gotten a little tired of Tyler's bag of tricks in recent years but this one shook it up something fierce. An excellent score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Penny Dreadful - AK

Pretty. And long. Pretty long.