• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Snowpiercer

Possibly helped by having seen the film, where it has a great presence... but this is great. I've not enjoyed a Beltrami this much in some time.

Nice score, works great in the (very troubled and badly executed) film.

It's different (the film). I can't call it bad. Clumsy on a few things, definitely, and very on-message. But there's too much good in it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP - EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE - Alexandre Desplat

This is lovely! I'm just finishing up my first listen to it. I've enjoyed this far more than I was expecting to. I'm one who usually finds Desplat's music cold, but this is very nice, especially for a film that centers on the events of Sept. 11, 2001. This is a very nice score. One of my favorites from Desplat already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    Libertador - Gustavo Dudamel

This doesn't sound like I expected it to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Good? Not good?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    NP - EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE - Alexandre Desplat

This is lovely! I'm just finishing up my first listen to it. I've enjoyed this far more than I was expecting to. I'm one who usually finds Desplat's music cold, but this is very nice, especially for a film that centers on the events of Sept. 11, 2001. This is a very nice score. One of my favorites from Desplat already.

Is it extremely loud?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If you are incredibly close? Yes!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. christopher wrote

I think for people who were coming to his music fresh, who preferred more melodic material, this one and PAINTED VEIL would be my top recommendations.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Good? Not good?

It's good. It's like a high-class but "standard" film score - it's not like when say Corigliano ventures into film, which I guess is what I expected (though I realise there's a big difference obviously, since Dudamel is a conductor and not a composer in his day job).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014 edited
    will you be reviewing it?

On the other hand Andre Previn, a very fine composer, made conducting his day job. I still don't know why but then I've not read his biography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    will you be reviewing it?

Affirmative, captain.
  4. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

Is it extremely loud?

Not at all smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Zimmer-esque?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Zimmer-esque?

Not really. In film music terms, James Horner, hints of Williams and Morricone.
  5. NP: L'Umanoide (1979) - Ennio Morricone
    (Aka "The Humanoide" aka "Kampf um die 5. Galaxis")

Of all those rushed space opera productions that were made after 1977 in the US, in Italy, Japan and elsewhere L'Umanoide, starring Barbara Bach and Richard Kiel, was probably the most balant STAR WARS rip off.

I saw the film once on VHS about 20 years ago. Sadly it was never released on DVD. It's so bad, it's fun.

One wonderes why big name composers rushed to score these films back then. John Barry's Star Crash is another example.

Morricone provided a minimalistic but melodic score comprised half of electronica, half of symphonic elements. Some pop cues, some ambient ones. As far away from Williams' STAR WARS as possible.

There was some talk lately about Morricone's remarcs concerning STAR WARS. Well, if this is what Morricone's SW score would have been like I am glad he was limited to Italian rip offs, as nice as this one is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Zimmer-esque?

Just heard it, this is wonderful. Reminded me of William's Geisha at places, there's also as you pointed out Horner (woodwinds, exotic nature), some Yvan Cassar in it and Morricone as well as some old school dramatic Zimmer. Are you sure you didn't like this? The themes and action writing are bold and beautiful. Alan and Tim i think you'll like this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. NP: Murder on the Orient Express (1974) - Sir Richard Rodney Bennett

Lauren Bacall 1924-2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Turtles Brian Tyler

On second thoughts, this is one of the best things he's written.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Zimmer-esque?

Just heard it, this is wonderful. Reminded me of William's Geisha at places, there's also as you pointed out Horner (woodwinds, exotic nature), some Yvan Cassar in it and Morricone as well as some old school dramatic Zimmer. Are you sure you didn't like this? The themes and action writing are bold and beautiful. Alan and Tim i think you'll like this.

I have every intention of catching up with this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: L'Umanoide (1979) - Ennio Morricone

There was some talk lately about Morricone's remarcs concerning STAR WARS. Well, if this is what Morricone's SW score would have been like I am glad he was limited to Italian rip offs, as nice as this one is.

Volker

Are you referring to the talk on the 'Jealous Composers' thread at FSM?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Zimmer-esque?

I did like it!
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Yup.

Besides: I believe that if there is one composer who has no reason to be jealous on any other composer, it's Morricone. Rather I think Morricone regarded the return of the late-romantic style a la Korngold as an anachronism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FORBIDDEN WARRIOR (Mike Verta)

Brilliant pastiche score that should please all fans of traditional, symphonic adventure scoring of the 80s and 90s. Why this doesn't have an official soundtrack is beyond me.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Yup.

Besides: I believe that if there is one composer who has no reason to be jealous on any other composer, it's Morricone. Rather I think Morricone regarded the return of the late-romantic style a la Korngold as an anachronism.

Yes. It was that someone had misquoted Morricone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis

Excellent fully orchestral TV score.

And on Spotify for anyone interested.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Wonderful!
  8. Just finished my first listen to THE GIVER by Marco Beltrami. It's certainly the most accessible Beltrami score I've heard (though I'm unfamiliar with SURF'S UP, which I understand is also pretty easy on the ears). It had some nice moments, though by the end I struggled to remember any thematic identity. More listens will probably fix that. I will say that the end credits have a melody that is distractingly similar to the main theme from Aaltio's HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES.
  9. NP: The Bobbit - The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - Howard Shore

Grand!

Volker
  10. NP: THE LION KING: LEGACY COLLECTION - Hans Zimmer et al.

So after the years and years of people crying out for a more complete release of this score, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I guess I figured there would be more to the unreleased music than there is. Most of the highlights were already on the old album, and there is quite a bit of music from this one that is just sort of there, not doing much. The score is pretty good, but I think I only need a couple tracks from this new album to pad out the one I've already got and that will be good enough for me.
  11. Demetris wrote

It's competently written but I found it mostly plodding and a bit uninteresting. Obviously the thematic material didn't really grab me much.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. NP: Tron Legacy (2010) - Daft Punk

This is great film music.

Volker